Topics

moderated Accessing jaws menu in laptop layout

Daniel Wolak

Hi all,

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Mike B

Check to make sure your caps lock key is set to be used as the Jaws key.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from
the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j,
the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use
that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is
different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Debby Hill

Hi Daniel,

This is one I learned from this list just a couple of days ago. The keystroke is Control + shift + caps lock to get to the menus from the JAWS laptop layout.

I also have a JAWS shortcut on my desktop, and if you just press enter on that you get into the menus. I also put JAWS in the tray, so I know this works.

I hope this helps.

Take care and stay safe!

Debby

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

David Kingsbury

Hi Daniel,

There are a few commands for which the Insert and Caps Lock keys are not substitutable in laptop mode. Insert J to get to the JAWS menus is one of them, so you must hit Insert J, not Caps Lock J. Other keystrokes where you must use the Insert key are Insert W to get Windows keystroke help and Insert H to get JAWS keystroke help.

David

Dave Durber

Daniel:

Not being able to access the JAWS menue with the CAPS LOCK+J key combination, has never been addressed by the programmers of JAWS, with the result that it has never been fixed. I do not know about other users of JAWS but, I have suggested they fix the problem several times over the years. Seemingly, they think there is not enough cudos and self-praise for them, in fixing such a small problem.

Dave

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Dave Durber

Debbie:

I realize that CTRL+SHIFT+CAPS LOCK+J, will open the JAWS menue, when you have JAWS set to use the laptop keyboard layout but, why make it so complicated, when CAPS LOCK+J, would be so much simplar. I am not aware of any situation, where CAPS LOCK+J, is used to perform any function for Windows or any third-party software package.

Dave

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Dave Durber

David:

If some of the INSERT+key keystrokes cannot be used by CAPS LOCK+key keystrokes, it would be nice to know why the CAPS LOCK cannot be substituted for the INSERT key. I would be curious as to why these substitutions cannot be made.

Dave

There are a few commands for which the Insert and Caps Lock keys are not substitutable in laptop mode. Insert J to get to the JAWS menus is one of them, so you must hit Insert J, not Caps Lock J. Other keystrokes where you must use the Insert key are Insert W to get Windows keystroke help and Insert H to get JAWS keystroke help.

David

Van Lant, Robin

Dave, I don't see the conflict as a JAWS issue to fix. Because laptop layout assumes you do not have a numpad and uses the Caps lock key to allow your right hand on the QWERTY keys to act like a numpad for JAWS navigation, you would eliminate some of that functionality by repurposing the CAPS lock and J keys to open the JAWS menu. I ten to open the JAWS menu by going to the JAWS icon in the system tray and then using the application key to open the context menu. Now that I know of caps lock, shift control option suggested in earlier messages, I think that will become my new norm.

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Dave Durber

Robin:

It is, CTRL+SHIFT+CAPS LOCK+J,to open the JAWS Menue.

Dave