Topics

moderated Accessing jaws menu in laptop layout

Daniel Wolak

Hi all,

I have occasion to use the laptop layout with Jaws 2020.

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Jaws help doesn't seem to have the answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Mike B

Check to make sure your caps lock key is set to be used as the Jaws key.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 3:24 AM
Subject: Accessing jaws menu in laptop layout

Hi all,

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from
the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j,
the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use
that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is
different in laptop layout?

Thanks,

Daniel

Debby Hill

Hi Daniel,

This is one I learned from this list just a couple of days ago. The keystroke is Control + shift + caps lock to get to the menus from the JAWS laptop layout.

I also have a JAWS shortcut on my desktop, and if you just press enter on that you get into the menus. I also put JAWS in the tray, so I know this works.

I hope this helps.

Take care and stay safe!

Debby

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Daniel Wolak
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi all,

However, I'm unable to access the jaws menu as I prefer to run it from the system tray.

When I use the keyboard shortcut of jaws key (capslock in this case)+j, the only thing that's announced is blank.

Interestingly, when I plug in a keyboard that has an insert key and use that instead of capslock it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the key to access the jaws menu from system tray is different in laptop layout?

Thanks,

Daniel

David Kingsbury

Hi Daniel,

There are a few commands for which the Insert and Caps Lock keys are not substitutable in laptop mode. Insert J to get to the JAWS menus is one of them, so you must hit Insert J, not Caps Lock J. Other keystrokes where you must use the Insert key are Insert W to get Windows keystroke help and Insert H to get JAWS keystroke help.

David

Dave Durber

Daniel:

Not being able to access the JAWS menue with the CAPS LOCK+J key combination, has never been addressed by the programmers of JAWS, with the result that it has never been fixed. I do not know about other users of JAWS but, I have suggested they fix the problem several times over the years. Seemingly, they think there is not enough cudos and self-praise for them, in fixing such a small problem.

Dave

To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 11:24 AM

Hi all,

Thanks,

Daniel

Dave Durber

Debbie:

I realize that CTRL+SHIFT+CAPS LOCK+J, will open the JAWS menue, when you have JAWS set to use the laptop keyboard layout but, why make it so complicated, when CAPS LOCK+J, would be so much simplar. I am not aware of any situation, where CAPS LOCK+J, is used to perform any function for Windows or any third-party software package.

Dave

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: Accessing jaws menu in laptop layout

Hi Daniel,

This is one I learned from this list just a couple of days ago. The keystroke is Control + shift + caps lock to get to the menus from the JAWS laptop layout.

I also have a JAWS shortcut on my desktop, and if you just press enter on that you get into the menus. I also put JAWS in the tray, so I know this works.

I hope this helps.

Take care and stay safe!

Debby

Hi all,

Thanks,

Daniel

Dave Durber

David:

If some of the INSERT+key keystrokes cannot be used by CAPS LOCK+key keystrokes, it would be nice to know why the CAPS LOCK cannot be substituted for the INSERT key. I would be curious as to why these substitutions cannot be made.

Dave

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 3:54 PM

Hi Daniel,

There are a few commands for which the Insert and Caps Lock keys are not substitutable in laptop mode. Insert J to get to the JAWS menus is one of them, so you must hit Insert J, not Caps Lock J. Other keystrokes where you must use the Insert key are Insert W to get Windows keystroke help and Insert H to get JAWS keystroke help.

David

Van Lant, Robin

Dave, I don't see the conflict as a JAWS issue to fix. Because laptop layout assumes you do not have a numpad and uses the Caps lock key to allow your right hand on the QWERTY keys to act like a numpad for JAWS navigation, you would eliminate some of that functionality by repurposing the CAPS lock and J keys to open the JAWS menu. I ten to open the JAWS menu by going to the JAWS icon in the system tray and then using the application key to open the context menu. Now that I know of caps lock, shift control option suggested in earlier messages, I think that will become my new norm.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:46 AM

Hi Daniel,

I hope this helps.

Take care and stay safe!

Debby

Hi all,

Thanks,

Daniel

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Dave Durber

Robin:

It is, CTRL+SHIFT+CAPS LOCK+J,to open the JAWS Menue.

Dave

From: "Van Lant, Robin via groups.io" <Robin_Van_Lant=Key.com@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 5:13 PM

Dave, I don't see the conflict as a JAWS issue to fix. Because laptop layout assumes you do not have a numpad and uses the Caps lock key to allow your right hand on the QWERTY keys to act like a numpad for JAWS navigation, you would eliminate some of that functionality by repurposing the CAPS lock and J keys to open the JAWS menu. I ten to open the JAWS menu by going to the JAWS icon in the system tray and then using the application key to open the context menu. Now that I know of caps lock, shift control option suggested in earlier messages, I think that will become my new norm.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:46 AM

Hi Daniel,

I hope this helps.

Take care and stay safe!

Debby

Hi all,

Thanks,

Daniel

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.