Topics

moderated Accessible System Backup Image software

kevin meyers

Hello,

Below are the instructions I found on the internet for using IFP. Is this correct or did I find the wrong instructions? I get to the point of locating the drive and Jaws is not able to read the plus sign or “add a drive”. Is there a different way to use IFP?

Open the Start Menu and click on Settings

2.     In the Settings window, click on Update & Security and then select Backup.

3.     In the Backup section, click on the Plus symbol [+] next to the Add a Drive option below Back Up Using File History. A list of available drives will appear, and you choose the external hard drive as the destination for your backup.

At this point, the option Add a Drive has changed to Automatically Back Up My Files. This is now the default, and while you can change the setting, it’s recommended to leave it as is to ensure automated, scheduled backups occur as planned.

Now you are ready to create your full image backup. With the external hard drive connected:

1.     Go to File History following the instructions above

2.     Click on System Image Backup in the lower-left corner

3.     Click Create a System Image in the left panel

4.     Once the setup wizard launches, assign the connected external drive as your backup destination

5.     Then select the partitions you want in this image backup, or simply use the default

6.     Confirm your settings and then click on Start Backup

If you want to keep your backup secure, using File History for your backup means you’ll also have to become familiar with Microsoft’s BitLocker app, which you can find in the start menu. That will allow you to encrypt the backup destination.

For greater security, it is worth noting that other backup software like Acronis True Image will automatically encrypt your files on your hard drive, in transit to backup destination (either the cloud or an external hard drive), and while in storage.

Thanks,

Kevin

kevin meyers

Don’t worry about this email. I figured it out.

[...]

James Bentley

If you are searching for directions to use Image for Windows, IFP is not what you want.

If you are looking for IFP directions, then please ignore this post.

James B

[...]

Chris Hill

Hello.

Those are directions for the built-in image utility in windows, not image for windows, which is a different product.

As far as the built-in utility goes: The first part below has nothing to do with creating the system image, that is for file history, and that is different.  You find the system image backup by looking in file history, but none of the first part is necessary to create a system image backup.

Also, the built-in utility has a major limitation, or it did the last time I tried to restore with it.  If the drive to restore to is a different size, even larger, it will not work.

Also, it was announced a few months back that this utility would go away in a future version of windows, so don't count on it always being there.

Good luck..

CH

On 5/7/2020 10:07, kevin meyers wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I went with using TeraBytes.