Topics

moderated Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Tom Behler

Got it, Brian.

Don’t mean to be a pain;  just wasn’t sure, and I’m trying to be accurate in the notes I’m compiling.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 3:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 02:44 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

What program are you referring to here?

The one that Steve Matzura made reference to, and my reply quotes a part of that message:  Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

William Vandervest

Can you post a link to where I can find this casper cloning software please
Thanks

For those considering using a cloned drive as a backup solution (and there's nothing wrong with that provided you re-clone when there have been either changes to your system you wouldn't want to have to make again or a significant influx of new user data you would not want to (or, in the case of photos and some audio, be able to) reproduce) make sure that you have a drive that is plug-and-play as a replacement for the main system drive of the system being cloned.

I have seen a couple of sad cases where people were cloning to external backup drives, and when they needed a quick way to get back on their feet again, realized that their clone would have to be cloned to a different drive that was plug-and-play compatible for the one that has failed.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

That is why I like my solution, Win PE and 7Zip.
You can zip it up to any drive, even a thumb drive as a single ZIP file, and unzip it with Win PE onto a new drive if you want, or over the top of your old system if it has damaged files.
No ffuss, no muss.
Like I mentioned before, this system I'm using now was unzipped onto a new drive and booted up with no problems.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

For those considering using a cloned drive as a backup solution (and there's nothing wrong with that provided you re-clone when there have been either changes to your system you wouldn't want to have to make again or a significant influx of new user data you would not want to (or, in the case of photos and some audio, be able to) reproduce) make sure that you have a drive that is plug-and-play as a replacement for the main system drive of the system being cloned.

I have seen a couple of sad cases where people were cloning to external backup drives, and when they needed a quick way to get back on their feet again, realized that their clone would have to be cloned to a different drive that was plug-and-play compatible for the one that has failed.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

David Griffith

I hesitate to enter the discussion again in case I provoke Brian into one of his threatened screams which seems a strangely emotional response.

Specifically  in relation to the points made the clone of your OS can  be surprisingly small, in the Snapshot case between 20-30GB in my case – although I have all my data on separate drives from my SSD.

By the way the claim that you would only want an image restore in the case of catastrophic failure is I think a strange claim. I don’t know why developers would include the feature if this was true.

I have several times re-imaged Windows from within a bootable Windows for many different reasons.

1. Sometimes Windows has just slowed up for indeterminable reasons. Rather than dive into reasons why it is simpler to go back to a known clean working image.
  2. On one occasion I had a company unfortunately non responsive over an activation difficulty – again  restoring re-instating my image sorted this issue.
  3. On another occasion my main media player started not working properly despite un-install and re-install. Again a quick 20 minute re-instatement of my image sorted this.
  4. Finally on thankfully only the one occasion I managed to have a Trojan on my machine that neither ESET Smart Security nor Malwarebytes was able to remove. There were masses of instructions online on how I had to go into Safe mode etc to get rid of it but again I simply used Snapshot to go back to a clean install which removed the issue quickly.

However if there is truly a solution which provides support for catastrophic failure as helpfully suggested earlier I like others would be keen to investigate this as it could be a money saver avoiding the need to employ sighted help.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: 03 May 2020 19:47

How much space do you need to store the full system backup? I know this depends on what you have on your disk but just for example, say you are using just under 500GB.

Marie

Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 9:57 AM

I use a solution which is I suppose is 3/4 accessible. Snapshot will allow a fully accessible disc image backup. Provided you can get into Windows at all the restore of the image is also a fully accessible. You simply select the image you want to restore to and Snapshot will simply restart your computer and about 20 minutes later you will hear your screen reader announce your Windows login for the restored image. I have done this several times with success without sighted help. Where it falls down is if your system is in such a state it cannot boot into Windows. The developers provide an ISO file to create a bootable CD drive but of course there is no speech here on that disc. They did tell me what I needed to type once the CD loaded to restore windows but in practice in these situations I have always resorted to sighted help and a fresh windows install.

David Griffith

On 3 May 2020, at 17:44, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:

Tom,

If you boot to Win PE, you can use 7Zip to zip up your HD and unzip it if you need to at a later time.

Also, when you do this, you can delete two system files that are temp files, and will save you the amount of twice your RAM.

So if you have 4GB of RAM, you can save 8GB by deleting pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys before zipping up your HD, and windows will recreate those two files on boot-up.

They are just temp files Windows uses as virtual memory.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 11:31 AM

Subject: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Hello.

I know this has been addressed before, but could someone suggest an accessible system backup image program that is easy to use independently, and that works well with Jaws?

I routinely back up all my files, but would like to be able to back up my complete hard drive if possible.

Until now, I’ve always understood that these backup image programs have accessibility issues at certain points, but perhaps I’m wrong.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 08:26 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Too obvious to be a mere coincidence...

If you have had this occur, twice, you should be looking at something being wrong with your hardware.

Application software has never, in my decades of experience, corrupted any OS (and I don't count viruses or malware as "application software.")

You are, however, giving people very good advice with regard to having a backup protocol and taking full system image backups on a routine cycle.  The number of things that have the potential to cause a system to crash are numerous, and generally related to people screwing around with the OS itself in ways they shouldn't or drive failure.  Having a backup saves you untold time and grief.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 04:14 PM, David Griffith wrote:
By the way the claim that you would only want an image restore in the case of catastrophic failure is I think a strange claim.
Well, I guess it will have to be that.  I've already given the one common exception case.  You've given one other semi-common one (restoring from an image when things get slow and you don't want to try to figure out why).

I've been in this business since the 1980s now, and I can count on less than one hand the number of times most recoveries have been the result of something other than some sort of catastrophic failure.

Also, I'll make what you're sure to call another strange claim:   The vast majority of Windows users do not separate out their OS and user data on to separate physical disks (or even logical disks).  So most full system images, which include the user data for all users contained within that system, are definitely not as small as yours are.  You're the exception case here.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

I couldn't have said it as well as Brian did. Macrium Reflect is what I use to do my full system image backups of my Windows 7 PC. I run an older version 6.3 of Macrium but it gets the job done.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 11:41 AM

Tom,

There are a number of options.   I am going to qualify what follows with:  I am only interested in accessibility with regard to taking the backup, not doing the recovery.  I have been in a long recent discussion about this and there is nothing short of "extreme geek measures" I am not willing to take, and I doubt most would be able to take, to make a recovery process accessible.  Screen readers run under operating systems, and during a recovery you do not actually have a full-blown Windows instance running.  That's what you're trying to recover.  I fully expect that if recovery is necessary a sighted assistant will be as well.  If anyone can present a backup and recovery suite that is fully accessible, on both ends, even if it's just for taking a system image and later recovering it, I'm all ears.  So far no one has.

Macrium Reflect Free is not 100% accessible, but it is entirely accessible for setting up a system image recovery then using that setup on-demand to take the actual image.  For myself, I always do a full system image, as those are the fastest to recover from.  You need to take (as you said you do) user data backups between your full system image backups if you're generating enough new files that you'd want to commit hara-kiri were you to lose them and/or have to do the work to re-create them.

Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

John Covici

Aira is sighted assistance by phone check out https://aira.io for more
information. I use it all the time, costs money, but would not be
without it.

On Sun, 03 May 2020 14:16:16 -0400,
Brian Vogel wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 01:44 PM, John Covici wrote:

I had to use Aira in the recovery step, but it did work!!
And what, precisely is Aira?   Sighted assistance.

That's an excellent variant, but it is still sighted assistance.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

~ Lawrence Krauss

[2 <text/html; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Dave Durber

Hello Tom:

I need to restore an image to one of my computers, which I created using Terabyte's Image for Windows.

If you are interested, would you like to join me in a Zoom meeting, and I will show you how I can do that, with no visual assistance. In addition, I will show you, how easy it is to create an image of a system drive for one of my systems, using the abovementioned software.

If you would like to do that, You can email me at:

Dave

Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 7:27 PM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions regarding accessible backup image software.

I am not an advanced assistive technology computer user, so I need to be careful in terms of what I choose to do here.

But, these suggestions have given me a lot to consider, and I’m saving them for future reference.

I will continue to read additional contributions to this thread with interest, and I hope they help others as well.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:24 PM

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 01:15 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Best fifty bucks you'll ever spend on your computer.

The price is now down to under $40.  Since they give you a 30-day free trial, there's absolutely nothing to lose if you want to try it out.  I'd definitely suggest doing a full system image backup, and then restore, on a non-primary machine if you have a second machine around, just to have had the end to end experience.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Steve Matzura

Do you do this by building a TBI Recovery disk, or do you have an alternate method? I'd be interested to know what that alternate method is, if you use one.

On 5/4/2020 2:30 PM, Dave Durber wrote:

Hello Tom:

I need to restore an image to one of my computers, which I created using Terabyte's Image for Windows.

If you are interested, would you like to join me in a Zoom meeting, and I will show you how I can do that, with no visual assistance. In addition, I will show you, how easy it is to create an image of a system drive for one of my systems, using the abovementioned software.

Dave

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions regarding accessible backup image software.

I am not an advanced assistive technology computer user, so I need to be careful in terms of what I choose to do here.

But, these suggestions have given me a lot to consider, and I’m saving them for future reference.

I will continue to read additional contributions to this thread with interest, and I hope they help others as well.

The price is now down to under $40.  Since they give you a 30-day free trial, there's absolutely nothing to lose if you want to try it out.  I'd definitely suggest doing a full system image backup, and then restore, on a non-primary machine if you have a second machine around, just to have had the end to end experience.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Dave Durber

Steve:

Over the next few days or so, I am going to try and produce an audio tutorial on how I restore a previously backed up image. Once I have done it, I will send it to you, for your comments, before making it available to others.

Dave

Sent: Monday, May 4, 2020 10:03 PM

Do you do this by building a TBI Recovery disk, or do you have an alternate method? I'd be interested to know what that alternate method is, if you use one.

Hello Tom:

Dave

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Robert Arrabito

Hi Dave and all listers,

I recently purchased TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite To be used on my Windows 10 PC. I have yet to create an image of my hard drive. I would very much appreciate a copy of your audio tutorial once it is ready for public release. And if it is not asking too much, it would be great if the tutorial can also cover how to create the image. Thank you.

Regards,

Rob

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: May 4, 2020 5:31 PM

Steve:

Over the next few days or so, I am going to try and produce an audio tutorial on how I restore a previously backed up image. Once I have done it, I will send it to you, for your comments, before making it available to others.

Dave

Hello Tom:

Dave

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Dave:

I know we have e-mailed privately about my not being able to do the backup immediately.

If you can do that tutorial and share it with others, including me, that would be terrific!

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Monday, May 4, 2020 5:31 PM

Steve:

Dave

Hello Tom:

Dave

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

René H. Nielsen

Hi!

I use Image for Windows, but do you know how to make the checkboxes accessible? It is something in an ini-file.

Best regards René H. Nielsen

Fra: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> På vegne af Steve Matzura
Sendt: 3. maj 2020 19:15
Til: main@jfw.groups.io
Emne: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite is 100% accessible beginning to end, including the recovery disk. There's an option to set in an INI file when building the recovery disk that will automatically start Narrator when said disk is booted. Works a treat, as they say. Best fifty bucks you'll ever spend on your computer. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

On 5/3/2020 12:57 PM, David Griffith wrote:

I use a solution which is I suppose is 3/4 accessible. Snapshot will allow a fully accessible disc image backup. Provided you can get into Windows at all the restore of the image is also a fully accessible. You simply select the image you want to restore to and Snapshot will simply restart your computer and about 20 minutes later you will hear your screen reader announce your Windows login for the restored image. I have done this several times with success without sighted help. Where it falls down is if your system is in such a state it cannot boot into Windows. The developers provide an ISO file to create a bootable CD drive but of course there is no speech here on that disc. They did tell me what I needed to type once the CD loaded to restore windows but in practice in these situations I have always resorted to sighted help and a fresh windows install.

David Griffith

Tom,

If you boot to Win PE, you can use 7Zip to zip up your HD and unzip it if you need to at a later time.

Also, when you do this, you can delete two system files that are temp files, and will save you the amount of twice your RAM.

So if you have 4GB of RAM, you can save 8GB by deleting pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys before zipping up your HD, and windows will recreate those two files on boot-up.

Glenn

Subject: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Hello.

I know this has been addressed before, but could someone suggest an accessible system backup image program that is easy to use independently, and that works well with Jaws?

I routinely back up all my files, but would like to be able to back up my complete hard drive if possible.

Until now, I’ve always understood that these backup image programs have accessibility issues at certain points, but perhaps I’m wrong.

Tom Behler

If you have had this occur, twice, you should be looking at something being wrong with your hardware.

Application software has never, in my decades of experience, corrupted any OS (and I don't count viruses or malware as "application software.")

You are, however, giving people very good advice with regard to having a backup protocol and taking full system image backups on a routine cycle.  The number of things that have the potential to cause a system to crash are numerous, and generally related to people screwing around with the OS itself in ways they shouldn't or drive failure.  Having a backup saves you untold time and grief.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Runjcortona Microsoft speech and they will read

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of René H. Nielsen
Sent: May 6, 2020 10:29

Hi!

I use Image for Windows, but do you know how to make the checkboxes accessible? It is something in an ini-file.

Emne: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite is 100% accessible beginning to end, including the recovery disk. There's an option to set in an INI file when building the recovery disk that will automatically start Narrator when said disk is booted. Works a treat, as they say. Best fifty bucks you'll ever spend on your computer. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

David Griffith

Tom,

Glenn

Hello.

Tom Behler

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

René H. Nielsen

Hi!

No, only if you make something in an inifile. Else I wouldn’t ask. Smile.

You can do it on the bootdisk as well as on the installed version, and on the bootdisk you use Narrator, but there is no accessible checkboxes.

Best regards René

-

Mvh. René H. Nielsen – R H N – IKT lyd og musik til ethvert behov

Agerkrogen 2, DK,4270 Høng, Tlf: +4523319889, E-mail, Linkedin

Twitter, Facebook site Skype

Fra: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> På vegne af george b
Sendt: 6. maj 2020 19:30

Hi!

David Griffith

Tom,

Glenn

Hello.

Tom Behler

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

James Bentley

Greetings,

I’m guessing that there is a typo in your response.

What do I need to run to tell when check boxes are checked?

And, in my Version of Image for Windows, something like V3... there is a check box in settings that is called accessible check boxes.  You can check this to cause Jaws to see the state of the check boxes.

But, You will still have to use the Jaws/or equivalent cursor to tell that they are checked in some places in the menus.  Also, in some places in the menus, you will see a PLUS SIGN instead of a checkbox for example, to indicate that a drive has been selected to be added to the back up process.

In my particular case, on all 3 of my laptops, I just hit the space bar to put a PLUS SIGN in front of my primary drive/C drive to do a full back up.  IFW has never let me down with Windows 7 or Windows 10 and I have done recoveries on all 3.

Regards,

James B

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 12:30 PM

Hi!

David Griffith

Tom,

Glenn

Hello.

Tom Behler

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Arkadiusz Świętnicki

Is that image for Windows a good solution? I am also searching for a good backup software.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 8:51 PM

Greetings,

And, in my Version of Image for Windows, something like V3... there is a check box in settings that is called accessible check boxes.  You can check this to cause Jaws to see the state of the check boxes.

But, You will still have to use the Jaws/or equivalent cursor to tell that they are checked in some places in the menus.  Also, in some places in the menus, you will see a PLUS SIGN instead of a checkbox for example, to indicate that a drive has been selected to be added to the back up process.

In my particular case, on all 3 of my laptops, I just hit the space bar to put a PLUS SIGN in front of my primary drive/C drive to do a full back up.  IFW has never let me down with Windows 7 or Windows 10 and I have done recoveries on all 3.

Regards,

James B

Hi!

David Griffith

Tom,

Glenn

Hello.

Tom Behler

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

James Bentley

I think it is what ever you get accustomed to using.  Image for Windows did cost me around $40, but it has always worked to restore my hard drives.

You can use IFW to create a recovery disk that includes Narrator so you have a screen reader to use to restore your PC.  That is an absolute necessity if Windows is so messed up that your PC won’t boot up in to Windows.

Since this recovery disk has to be bootable for disaster recovery, you would need to change your PC’s boot sequence in the BIOS.  That requires eye sight but it is a one time change.

In my case, instead of getting someone to change my boot sequence in the BIOS, I use F11 and some additional key strokes to force Windows to boot up from the boot media which can be either a DVD or a thumb drive again, created with the IFW software.

Its been so long since I created the boot media that I do not have clear recollection as to how it was accomplished.  The directions are in the IFW manual.  I suspect that there are several members on these list who can provide you with the directions to create the boot media and provide directions on how to get a crippled PC to boot from the media if you do not want to get someone to change your boot sequence in your PC’s BIOS.

The best of luck,

James B 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arkadiusz Swietnicki
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:29 PM

Is that image for Windows a good solution? I am also searching for a good backup software.

Greetings,

Regards,

James B

Hi!

David Griffith

Tom,

Glenn

Hello.

Tom Behler

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

René H. Nielsen

Hi!

Its not the problem to boot from the media.

The problem is that the checkboxes in the interface not is accessible unless you change something in an ini-file, but I can not figure out what to change.

Narrator is working fine else.

René

Fra: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> På vegne af James Bentley
Sendt: 6. maj 2020 22:14

I think it is what ever you get accustomed to using.  Image for Windows did cost me around $40, but it has always worked to restore my hard drives.

You can use IFW to create a recovery disk that includes Narrator so you have a screen reader to use to restore your PC.  That is an absolute necessity if Windows is so messed up that your PC won’t boot up in to Windows.

Since this recovery disk has to be bootable for disaster recovery, you would need to change your PC’s boot sequence in the BIOS.  That requires eye sight but it is a one time change.

In my case, instead of getting someone to change my boot sequence in the BIOS, I use F11 and some additional key strokes to force Windows to boot up from the boot media which can be either a DVD or a thumb drive again, created with the IFW software.

Its been so long since I created the boot media that I do not have clear recollection as to how it was accomplished.  The directions are in the IFW manual.  I suspect that there are several members on these list who can provide you with the directions to create the boot media and provide directions on how to get a crippled PC to boot from the media if you do not want to get someone to change your boot sequence in your PC’s BIOS.

The best of luck,

James B 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arkadiusz Swietnicki
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:29 PM

Greetings,

Regards,

James B

Hi!

David Griffith

Tom,

Glenn

Hello.

Tom Behler

--

~ Lawrence Krauss