moderated Accessible investment firm

Paul Filpus

Hello Listers,

Some months ago someone posted a question on this list asking of any available JAWS-accessible investment firms. I didn’t reply at the time, but a recent contact with the firm I use prompted me to mention it here. I’m well into my retirement years now, and have used Vanguard ever since it was offered as a 401K plan by my employer many years ago. For a long time I managed my Vanguard assets by myself, but eventually signed up with a Vanguard personal advisor. I informed him that the asset mix page on my web site account was not being spoken by JAWS. He told me to contact Vanguard’s Accessibility Department and state the problem. I did so, they ran JAWS to identify the problem for themselves, and fixed it. I’m very satisfied with Vanguard.

Paul Filpus

Kane Brolin

Thank you, Paul, for your keen insights on Vanguard. Even though they
compete against me professionally, I've always respected Vanguard as a
solid company that tries to treat their clients right. They made a
big deal of keeping expenses low long before most other investment
firms were even thinking about it. I'm glad to know Vanguard executed
their customer-centered focus by putting in practice a learned
approach to accessibility.

OK, first some truth in advertising; I am in the financial planning
and money management business. So I have tech preferences and
regulations for what I do that retail investors do not have. Over the
last few years, I have used in my business a tech platform called
Wealthscape which is very serviceable for trading investments and
moving cash. I don't think those outside the industry would have
access to the Wealthscape brand, but my point is that it is developed
by Fidelity. So to some extent I use Fidelity-branded securities
trading platforms on a daily basis and have found this one to be
fairly accessible. It's not perfect, but functionality has gotten
appreciably better with JAWS 2021 and Windows 10.

My other positive Fidelity experience came 10-15 years ago, when two
different clients allowed me to serve as a third-party agent so I had
the authority to adjust their 401(k) plan, which Fidelity had official
custody of. I had no problem reallocating mutual fund positions, or
even buying stocks, on my clients' behalf using the Fidelity platform,
even though Fidelity was not native to any other part of my day-to-day
work. My point is that it felt very natural to use that particular
version of Fidelity's retail platform back in the 2005-2010 period, as
it took me no time at all to train myself on where to find things on
the screen, etc.

Take my observations for what they are worth. I have no idea how good
the Fidelity interface is in 2021 re accessibility.

I will follow this thread with great interest.

Kind regards,

-Kane

Kelly Pierce

It might be useful to note that Fidelity has presented at the popular
CSUN conference on assistive technology on Web access.

Kelly

On 3/31/21, Kane Brolin <kbrolin65@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jim Pursley

Our firm has custodied clients with Fidelity since 2006, when we moved from Schwab partly because the Schwab Institutional software was inaccessible. Fidelity's Institutional arm used HTML so for years I could navigate it easily. I use fidelity.com's watch list feature and manage my cash on the site. I've never found the site inaccessible for anything I want to do. The Institutional site, however, is less accessible with a lot of unlabeled buttons and the like.

I think that most of the brokerage platforms these days are accessible, though one of the people on this list had to work with Schwab to understand a large update they did on their retail site.

I'm pleased with the Fidelity site accessibility and ease of use once one gets the hang of its multi level organization.

[...]

Ken Chernack

Schwab redesigned their web site about 2-3 years ago.
They have a dedicated group for accessible issues.
Ken

[...]

David Diamond

Investments are a great way to hide earnings or just money from the government. We had to move my mother in-law's furniture as she was in the hospital with no hope of coming out. She was getting home care support on a weekly basis and the government was paying for it. Yet the woman across the hall in the nursing home had poor health would made it pretty much impossible to clean her house, she got no help from the government. Why? Because my mother in-law's investment councillor got her hundreds of thousands of dollars she had because of a insurance settlement, hidden, some how. ON paper it looked like she was only getting a little over a thousand a month with her senior citizen cheque. Yet to stay in the place she was living, was costing her $1,600 per month. Yes, he was a legal person. I just don't know how he managed to hide it as I'm not dishonest.

[...]

Gerald Levy

There is a residence for the blind in midtown Manhattan that requires prospective residents to be Section 8 eligible, which means that their annual income cannot exceed $15,000.  To problem with this ridiculous scenario is that it would be impossible to live on such a meager pittance in this particular neighborhood where studio co-ops on the very same block as this residence for the blind typically sell for about $1 million.  So in order to make themselves Section 8 eligible, some blind residents are probably hiding assets either through elaborate investment schemes or trust arrangements.  Could anyone imagine shopping at the nearby Trader's Joe's and Whole Foods on only $15,000 a year?  Not possible, even with the help of SNAP benefits unless some kind of creative investing maneuvers were employed.

Gerald