moderated accessible desktop tax software

John Covici

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and
that does not work either. I need a desktop version that has a
schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Vicky Collins

I was able to prepare and submit my return using TaxAct desktop, but it did require using the touch cursor a lot and thus took much longer for me to complete my return this year.

On Mar 16, 2022, at 10:30 AM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and
that does not work either. I need a desktop version that has a
schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

John Covici

Hmm, I could hardly read anything in the window, I could not read the questions or anything, they sure broke it this year.

I was able to prepare and submit my return using TaxAct desktop, but it did require using the touch cursor a lot and thus took much longer for me to complete my return this year.
On Mar 16, 2022, at 10:30 AM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and
that does not work either. I need a desktop version that has a
schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Vicky Collins

I agree. It was much harder this year. I even had to use the touch cursor every time I started the program and wanted to find the Continue Where I Left Off prompt.

On Mar 16, 2022, at 3:35 PM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hmm, I could hardly read anything in the window, I could not read the questions or anything, they sure broke it this year.

I was able to prepare and submit my return using TaxAct desktop, but it did require using the touch cursor a lot and thus took much longer for me to complete my return this year.
On Mar 16, 2022, at 10:30 AM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and
that does not work either. I need a desktop version that has a
schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Marie Nelson

I am using win10 2021 H1 and the latest version of Jaws 22. I just completed and e-filed my tax return two days ago. Although there were some stumbling blocks along the way, I managed to get them worked out. I do have a fairly simple return so this might make a difference.
Hope you find the right solution.
Marie

Hmm, I could hardly read anything in the window, I could not read the questions or anything, they sure broke it this year.

I was able to prepare and submit my return using TaxAct desktop, but it did require using the touch cursor a lot and thus took much longer for me to complete my return this year.
On Mar 16, 2022, at 10:30 AM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and
that does not work either. I need a desktop version that has a
schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Juan Hernandez

You can't use turbo tax online? Their online site is very accessible. I did
my income taxes last year.

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and that does
not work either. I need a desktop version that has a schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Marty Hutchings

Marie,  And you used ...?

--
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings

Marie Nelson

Sorry, I believe you were speaking of Tax act and that is the one I used.
Marie

[...]

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsinbold.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C63615c3723ee450d9ce208da07d0cd2b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637830890611016862%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=qf9TdZptyWsIPWHNcBGQHiaPGzvFurd2ANztK3mCz%2BI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Vicky Collins

Do you perhaps have any suggestions that might help others navigate the TaxAct program, or perhaps yours would be similar to mine? For examples, when I would restart the program after walking away for a while, I needed to use the touch cursor and then tab to the Continue Where I Left Off button or whatever it is where I could then press enter. Also, often when a new question came up, all the information wouldn’t be read, and I found it easiest to use the arrow keys to first arrow up to where the information for that question began and then use the down arrow to read through all the info and then find the appropriate button on which to press enter. A couple of times I had to route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor and then find the exit button and do a left mouse click to get out of something. And then, too, for completing some of the lines on the form, especially when several lines were completed on one screen, I had to use the touch cursor to tab through the choices to then make each of my selections. And then once done, I would activate that cursor once again and tab through the entire screen to make sure that I had indeed chosen what I meant to choose. When tabbing through the choices, though, JAWS would most often repeat the prior choice before reading the current one, so it took much more time than it should to go through some of the forms.

Sent from Mail for Windows

--

Thanks,

Lion Marty Hutchings

BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison

(262) 605-8981

mhutchings152730@...

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsinbold.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C63615c3723ee450d9ce208da07d0cd2b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637830890611016862%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=qf9TdZptyWsIPWHNcBGQHiaPGzvFurd2ANztK3mCz%2BI%3D&amp;reserved=0

John Covici

Well, I was unable to even get that far.  I could not tab to any buttons, even.  I was using taxact home and business – I wonder if you were using some other version?  I could barely import last years return and after that, I could hardly read the window, jaws cursor or virtual pc cursor.

--

Thanks,

Lion Marty Hutchings

BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison

(262) 605-8981

mhutchings152730@...

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsinbold.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C63615c3723ee450d9ce208da07d0cd2b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637830890611016862%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=qf9TdZptyWsIPWHNcBGQHiaPGzvFurd2ANztK3mCz%2BI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Michael Walker

Hi John,

Is there any reason you can’t use the tax act website, to file your taxes? Why is the desktop version a requirement?

Back when I filed my own taxes, I used the website version of TurboTax. It worked pretty well. Sometimes, I did need the jaws cursor. It was mostly accessible though.

Mike

On Mar 16, 2022, at 2:35 PM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hmm, I could hardly read anything in the window, I could not read the questions or anything, they sure broke it this year.

I was able to prepare and submit my return using TaxAct desktop, but it did require using the touch cursor a lot and thus took much longer for me to complete my return this year.
On Mar 16, 2022, at 10:30 AM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Hi. I was using taxact for many years to do my taxes, but they did
something mean and its no longer accessible. I tried turbotax and
that does not work either. I need a desktop version that has a
schedule c.

Anybody know of anything out there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

John Covici

I don't want my taxes online if I can help it. Mayhbe I can't help it
anymore.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 00:08:35 -0400,
Michael Walker wrote:

[...]

To be clear, I used the web site to do my taxes. Although there were a few stumbling blocks along the way, There was always a work-around, whether having to use the Jaws or touch cursors, etc.

There is no way I could do a screen by screen explanation but I found it reasonably accessible.

Marie

--

Thanks,

Lion Marty Hutchings

BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison

(262) 605-8981

mhutchings152730@...

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsinbold.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C63615c3723ee450d9ce208da07d0cd2b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637830890611016862%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=qf9TdZptyWsIPWHNcBGQHiaPGzvFurd2ANztK3mCz%2BI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Vicky Collins

Yes, I definitely used the TaxAct desktop software for self-employed persons. I only had a small amount of that type of income, but TaxAct wouldn’t let me use a lesser expensive version of the software since I had that income when I tried a couple of years ago, so I just paid for it up front this year. Did you try the touch cursor to tab around to get where you needed to be, keeping in mind that the prior field info is read first for some reason before the actual info for that field. I used Windows 10 and JAWS 22 but did check and things weren’t any easier with NVDA.

Sent from Mail for Windows

--

Thanks,

Lion Marty Hutchings

BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison

(262) 605-8981

mhutchings152730@...

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsinbold.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C63615c3723ee450d9ce208da07d0cd2b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637830890611016862%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=qf9TdZptyWsIPWHNcBGQHiaPGzvFurd2ANztK3mCz%2BI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Juan Hernandez

I used turbo tax, self employed edition.  It was amazing.  The tool is so accessible.  All done on the web via latest jaws 2022, and google chrome.  Couldn’t have had a better experience.