From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Benstead
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 11:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Accessible antivirus software

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Kaspersky was a terrible experience when my office had it for all the screen reader users.

If you are on Windows 10, just use the built-in Windows Defender.  It is as good as any other, it is accessible, and free.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

crayton Benner

Hi.
windows defender is what I use. It’s about as good as anything else that you will find.

On Sep 30, 2021, at 14:18, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

Kaspersky was a terrible experience when my office had it for all the screen reader users.

If you are on Windows 10, just use the built-in Windows Defender.  It is as good as any other, it is accessible, and free.

Richard

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim
--
Jim Benstead
Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Emre Rencber

Hello there. I recommend Kaspersky Total Security. I don't even see
Windows Defender as an antivirus.
İt is partially accessible.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms
of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't
mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses,
Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it
is.

Jim
--
Jim Benstead
Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Steven Hicks

I Would agree with that and it is free and comes with Microsoft Windows 10.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Kaspersky does not work at all well with JAWS and was, at one time, warned about when people asked if the blind should use it.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 02:37 PM, Emre Rencber wrote:
I don't even see Windows Defender as an antivirus.
-
Well, then, I suggest you update your views.  Windows Security, of which Windows Defender is a central component, has been a full-service security suite for years now.  It consistently rates in the top ten in lab tests, too.

Look at the most recent testing results from the following antivirus/security testing labs, along with the historical results from the past several years if you want to see how Windows Security/Defender has been performing.  Windows Security has been solidly in the top 10, often top 5, and frequently beats out several well-known competitors that one must pay for.

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs  (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas  (360 Protection Testing Category)

Given that this is the case, that it comes with Windows, is "set it and forget it," and that it's accessible it's awfully hard to beat.

    ~ William Plomer

Life in Six Dots

Windows Defender is an excellent antivirus software and is fully accessible for screen reader users. The likes of Bitdefender and Kaspersky are inaccessible. Most others are memory hogs. Check out the latest figures and you'll see that Windows Defender outranks most paid for antivirus software these days.

Hello there. I recommend Kaspersky Total Security. I don't even see
Windows Defender as an antivirus.
İt is partially accessible.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms
of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't
mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses,
Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it
is.

Jim
--
Jim Benstead
Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Life in Six Dots

Windows Defender. It is absolutely brilliant with JAWS and beats most, if not all paid for security software these days, for personal use.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Bill White

Hi, Emre. What function or functions from within the latest Windows Defender for Windows 10 is or are inaccessible? I have not found any function within Windows Defender to be inaccessible, including the use of exclusion folders.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

Hello there. I recommend Kaspersky Total Security. I don't even see
Windows Defender as an antivirus.
İt is partially accessible.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms
of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't
mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses,
Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it
is.

Jim
--
Jim Benstead
Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I believe the current name of the Windows antivirus software that is free is Microsoft Defender. The fact that, unlike other antivirus programs, it works well for screen reader users is a testament to how much progress we have made with a company which used to be fashionable to hate.😀

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

[...]

As a braille only user on Windows with JAWS I have not found anything inaccessible. It does help to use the JAWS Touch Cursor SHIFT+NUMPAD PLUS.

Paul

[...]

that’s interesting. It should work with braille. BUt seems like it’s not.

On Sep 30, 2021, at 16:43, Life in Six Dots <hello@lifeinsixdots.com> wrote:

[...]

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  In my opinion, there is no need for any other anti-virus programs as Windows security is good enough to protect your pc. Couple with your own care and discretion, there should be no need for other solutions that might cause your pc to slow down and become more cumbersome rather than a helpful tool for you. Cheers!

On 1/10/2021 3:05 am, Curtis Chong wrote:

[...]

Hi, Curtis. You are correct. When I open Windows Security, and press ENTER on Manage Providers, the antivirus that is protecting my system is called,
Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[...]

Sabrina Markel

I have a laptop with Windows 10.

I was going to install AVG’s free anti virus program but after reading all the messages on this thread, I’m going to stick with Windows defender.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

A good choice, Windows Defender is all you need along with doing all your updates and using common sense when it comes to clicking on links in emails especially when you aren't 110% sure they are legit.

I was going to install AVG’s free anti virus program but after reading all the messages on this thread, I’m going to stick with Windows defender.

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Windows built in antivirus software seems good enough to me.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

Does anyone have any views on which antivirus software does well in terms of accessibility? Ideally I'd be looking for a free solution, but I don't mind paying if something is really good.

In terms of which solutions are good at actually keeping out viruses, Kaspersky seems to have good reviews -- but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Jim

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Emre Rencber

Windows Defender is very accessible. But it is'nt good antivirus. Kaspersky is partially accessible but it is very vell.

iPhone’umdan gönderildi