Topics

moderated Accessibility of Vlc with Jaws?

Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...>

Seems to me that Vlc with Jaws isn’t that accessible? I did a Jaws+h command, but I didn’t get any kind of help info. Can you with Jaws and Vlc, see how long the audio is, how much time Elapsed and other info, maybe with Jaws scripts? Thanks for experiences you guys might have with this combo.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

David Griffith

There are masses of keystroke which work with VLC - in particular I love the ability to speed up and slow down podcasts on the fly but I agree that there is a big gap for scripts providing information.

I have looked in vain for VLC scripts.

As a guide to what could be done you only have to load the NVDA VLC addon which completely transforms VLC information feedback. For example or all the information you require you only have to press the I key.

Often I quit Jaws when I am going to be using VLC as the experience is so much better supported.

to given that WinAmp is increasingly unsupported and to some extent obsolete, I moved to VLC as WinAmp kept on crashing under Windows 10, and failed to play some streams that VLC had no problem with, it seems utterly bizarre that Jaws provides no support for VLC at all.

David Griffith

Seems to me that Vlc with Jaws isn’t that accessible? I did a Jaws+h command, but I didn’t get any kind of help info. Can you with Jaws and Vlc, see how long the audio is, how much time Elapsed and other info, maybe with Jaws scripts? Thanks for experiences you guys might have with this combo.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

Mario

it's a shame that FS hasn't provided scripts for VLC yet.

From: JM Casey [mailto:jmcasey@...]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Friday, March 27, 2020, 12:35 PM
nVDA still won't read preferences etc though for me. Does it work for you? Otherwise, yeah there is certainly more feedback for status and things like that.

I have no trouble with Winamp and the latest build of windows 10, and I use it for audio -- but I play a lot of vieos and VLC is hands down the best player I have found for that. There's a lot of power under the hood and really I've only scratched the surface.

Seems to me that Vlc with Jaws isn’t that accessible? I did a Jaws+h command, but I didn’t get any kind of help info. Can you with Jaws and Vlc, see how long the audio is, how much time Elapsed and other info, maybe with Jaws scripts? Thanks for experiences you guys might have with this combo.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

.

JM Casey

Sure, I have the NVDA add-on. it's useful but it doesn't really solve the problem in preferences dialogue etc.

[...]

Which makes me wonder if the Jaws cursor would make this info readible within Vlc?

[...]

Heya. Nope, no luck with jaws cursor at all and I’m one of those people on Windows 10 who can still use it for a lot of things. Only was able to get some additional info using touch cursor. It wasn’t too nice though…not recommending. Mind you, JAWS now has the scan cursor also to take the place of jaws cursor in certain instances. I don’t have JFW 2020 so, maybe someone could get better results with that.

nVDA still won't read preferences etc though for me. Does it work for you? Otherwise, yeah  there is certainly more feedback for status and things like that.

I have no trouble with Winamp and the latest build of windows 10, and I use it for audio -- but I play a lot of vieos and VLC is hands down the best player I have found for that. There's a lot of power under the hood and really I've only scratched the surface.

Seems to me that Vlc with Jaws isn’t that accessible? I did a Jaws+h command, but I didn’t get any kind of help info. Can you with Jaws and Vlc, see how long the audio is, how much time Elapsed and other info, maybe with Jaws scripts? Thanks for experiences you guys might have with this combo.

Gera

Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

george b

What folder do I put v l c in when installing?  The put in folder line is bland and there is a braws button.  I always seen some pre folder in a install of a program.

Help please.

thanks

[...]

You should just be able to go with defaults  in the VLC install -  but if it is still a problem  download the version from

https://ninite.com/accessible

which provides a silent installer which requires no intervention from yourself apart from launching the install.

David Griffith

[...]

It is a supreme irony that as this discussion has started my version of VLC has suddenly gone silent on me and is refusing to play any media.

Restarting and uninstalling and re-installing VLC has not cured whatever the issue is.

I have re-installed WinAmp to go back to the future  and so far that is working.

Luckily I can still use Speak On to get the variable audio speed playback  feature that was so  well implemented in VLC.

[...]

Huh. Well that is something I can say has never happened to me. I’m annoyed that I can’t adjust the equalizer; that is my biggest beef with the programme right now, especially as I used to be able to. Actaully VLC never made it easy for you to save your own eq settings either, which is one drawback. But yeah it’s never not played media. I wonder what is up with that. May seem a bit obvious but, did you look in sndvol to see what level vlc app was set at?