Topics

Accessibility of Amazon Echo Dot?

Tim Ford

Hello Listers,

I just received an early Christmas present from a dear friend, an Echo Dot.  I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I am hoping someone has instructions so I can set it up?  Also, any set of commands I can perform after setup.  Thanks!

Tim Ford

Tim,

             I don't use the Amazon Echo series devices, but a dear friend of mine does, and she relies upon them.  Amazon Alexa is pretty intuitive, but I would do a web search on "Alexa commands,"  "What can I ask Alexa?," and related searches.  You will find myriad tutorials related to Alexa, and if you add "accessibility" to the search terms there are those targeted at those who are blind or visually-impaired.

              Setup is done through the Amazon Alexa app available for Android or iOS or through your Amazon account, but I cannot remember the step-by-step instructions for either method.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Randy Barnett

It is very accessible you just download the app on your phone and everything is accessible and of course Alexa is completely voice driven so it is totally accessible to. And you can do so many things that it's ridiculous. like a Brian said Google it.

Randy Barnett

On Sep 25, 2020, at 12:58 PM, Tim Ford <ttford@...> wrote:

Hello Listers,

I just received an early Christmas present from a dear friend, an Echo Dot.  I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I am hoping someone has instructions so I can set it up?  Also, any set of commands I can perform after setup.  Thanks!

Tim Ford

Laura Shumate

You can even play games. Just ask the A lady to play games and she
would recommend the top ones to you.
Laura Shumate
larelishumate@...

Gudrun Brunot

Tim: There are several ways in which to get stuck while you set up an Echo Dot. the best way, I have found, is to call Amazon’s disability line: (888) 283-1678. That got me through no problem, Nd I’ve set up two with their assistance.

Gudrun

I just received an early Christmas present from a dear friend, an Echo Dot.  I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I am hoping someone has instructions so I can set it up?  Also, any set of commands I can perform after setup.  Thanks!

Tim Ford

James Malone

I had know problem setting mine up. The speaker will give you a network setting from Amazon. You need to open that connection, then change it there to your network name. It will be numbers, but can’t remember the numbers off hand. This must be done from the computer.

Tim: There are several ways in which to get stuck while you set up an Echo Dot. the best way, I have found, is to call Amazon’s disability line: (888) 283-1678. That got me through no problem, Nd I’ve set up two with their assistance.

Gudrun

I just received an early Christmas present from a dear friend, an Echo Dot.  I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I am hoping someone has instructions so I can set it up?  Also, any set of commands I can perform after setup.  Thanks!

Tim Ford

Randy Barnett

I have never got stuck setting up an ehco device useing the IOS app. It has even got easier than ever.

On 9/28/2020 5:39 PM, James Malone wrote:

I had know problem setting mine up. The speaker will give you a network setting from Amazon. You need to open that connection, then change it there to your network name. It will be numbers, but can’t remember the numbers off hand. This must be done from the computer.

Tim: There are several ways in which to get stuck while you set up an Echo Dot. the best way, I have found, is to call Amazon’s disability line: (888) 283-1678. That got me through no problem, Nd I’ve set up two with their assistance.

Gudrun

I just received an early Christmas present from a dear friend, an Echo Dot.  I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I am hoping someone has instructions so I can set it up?  Also, any set of commands I can perform after setup.  Thanks!

Tim Ford

Randy Barnett

Sorry forgot to say I have never had to use a PC to setup an echo. You can use the alexia.amazon.com webpage to do it but the Phone apps are the mainstream way of setting them up.

On 9/28/2020 5:39 PM, James Malone wrote:

I had know problem setting mine up. The speaker will give you a network setting from Amazon. You need to open that connection, then change it there to your network name. It will be numbers, but can’t remember the numbers off hand. This must be done from the computer.

Tim: There are several ways in which to get stuck while you set up an Echo Dot. the best way, I have found, is to call Amazon’s disability line: (888) 283-1678. That got me through no problem, Nd I’ve set up two with their assistance.

Gudrun

I just received an early Christmas present from a dear friend, an Echo Dot.  I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I am hoping someone has instructions so I can set it up?  Also, any set of commands I can perform after setup.  Thanks!

Tim Ford

Melissa Stott

I have always done the set  up by using the Alexa app, and have never had any issues.  I have an echo dot, and an echo.

                                                                Melissa