moderated a word that Jaws really mispronounces

Josh Kennedy

I was reading on a forum and came across a word that Jaws really can't pronounce. the word 
"forcefed".
Go over that word carefully or have jaws spell it out one letter at a time and you'll see what I mean. Not sure if Vocalizer pronounces that one right as I currently don't have it installed. But I find it odd that a pretty common word could or would be so horribly mispronounced by eloquence. Well eloquence is around a 27 year old tts after all. People told me other words eloquence can't pronounce but I guess the word forcefed is just one of those undocumented mispronounced words. 

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 07:13 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
forcefed
-
Should be force-fed (most commonly), or two separate words.  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/force-fed 

As one word it defies a lot of standard phonotactic rules of spoken English.  I'd imagine you'd get something like forcef (not a real word) with a past tense ED somehow attached to it.  Or it could be a lot worse.  I don't have the synth available to test.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

David Diamond

That’s why we have a JAWS dictionary.  LOL.  How about this one Melichi.  That should be pronounced as Melakeye

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: April 24, 2022 4:20 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: a word that Jaws really mispronounces

forcefed

-
Should be force-fed (most commonly), or two separate words.  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/force-fed 

As one word it defies a lot of standard phonotactic rules of spoken English.  I'd imagine you'd get something like forcef (not a real word) with a past tense ED somehow attached to it.  Or it could be a lot worse.  I don't have the synth available to test.
--

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

David,

When it comes to given names, and particularly unusual given names (or surnames), I don't know of any synth that reliably comes up with the correct pronunciation each and every time.  And that makes sense since these are often not even in the language that the synth is using phonotactic rules for.

I agree, that's why any screen reader I know of has a dictionary feature, as you can, through trial and error, get a correct pronunciation with some very creative spellings that can be produced as the correct phoneme stream.

In this case, though, I know why "forcefed" would be problematic while "force-fed" is almost certain not to be.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Sandra Streeter

I think its correct rendering is “force-fed”. Try it!

Sandra

There is nothing so confining as the prisons of our own perceptions.

(William Shakespeare)

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 7:13 PM
Subject: a word that Jaws really mispronounces

I was reading on a forum and came across a word that Jaws really can't pronounce. the word 
"forcefed".
Go over that word carefully or have jaws spell it out one letter at a time and you'll see what I mean. Not sure if Vocalizer pronounces that one right as I currently don't have it installed. But I find it odd that a pretty common word could or would be so horribly mispronounced by eloquence. Well eloquence is around a 27 year old tts after all. People told me other words eloquence can't pronounce but I guess the word forcefed is just one of those undocumented mispronounced words. 

David Diamond

One of the words that has already been programmed into the dictionary of JAWS is space bar.  The original pronunciation for some reason is spaceabar.

Which is hard to duplicate as it is already corrected. 

Sent: April 24, 2022 4:32 PM

David,

When it comes to given names, and particularly unusual given names (or surnames), I don't know of any synth that reliably comes up with the correct pronunciation each and every time.  And that makes sense since these are often not even in the language that the synth is using phonotactic rules for.

I agree, that's why any screen reader I know of has a dictionary feature, as you can, through trial and error, get a correct pronunciation with some very creative spellings that can be produced as the correct phoneme stream.

In this case, though, I know why "forcefed" would be problematic while "force-fed" is almost certain not to be.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Bill White

Hi, David. If you're talking about the book of the Bible, I've usually seen it spelled, Malachi. Still mispronounced, but if you put it in the JAWS dictionary and change its pronunciation there, you could make it come out more or less correct. If you spell it the way it is in your post, though, and you come onto the regular spelling, you're still going to get the mispronunciation, because the word wasn't entered with the correct spelling in the first dialog where it needs to be detected as a word for which the pronunciation should be changed.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 4:25 PM

That’s why we have a JAWS dictionary.  LOL.  How about this one Melichi.  That should be pronounced as Melakeye

forcefed

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Nancy Hill

Hi, if the word that jaws mispronounces should be said as force fed, it would not take more than a minute to correct the pronunciation from forcefed to force fed.  Here's a word that I corrected earlier today:  beignet.  I corrected it to be said been yea...and it will be said properly each time it comes up because Imade the change in the word dictionary.

Just a thought.

nancy

On 4/24/2022 7:13 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
"forcefed".

Sandra Streeter

Also, in my experience, with successive versions, JAWS has gotten better at some words, as someone pointed out with the “spacebar” example.

Sandra

(William Shakespeare)

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 9:12 PM

Hi, if the word that jaws mispronounces should be said as force fed, it would not take more than a minute to correct the pronunciation from forcefed to force fed.  Here's a word that I corrected earlier today:  beignet.  I corrected it to be said been yea...and it will be said properly each time it comes up because Imade the change in the word dictionary.

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Bill White

Hi, Nancy. One change I would have made in the phoenetic pronunciation of beignet is that I would have used one e in ben yea, because when you write the word been as in the past tense of be, it almost sounds like an I sound, whereas if you write ben, it sounds like a short e, the way beignet should sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 6:12 PM

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Annabelle Susan Morison

You could also go into "eloqmain.dct" in Notepad, and type something like:
Malachi [.1mAl.0x.2kY]
MALACHI [.1mAl.0x.2kY]
malachi [.1mAl.0x.2kY]

On 04/24/2022 6:13 PM Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, David. If you're talking about the book of the Bible, I've usually seen it spelled, Malachi. Still mispronounced, but if you put it in the JAWS dictionary and change its pronunciation there, you could make it come out more or less correct. If you spell it the way it is in your post, though, and you come onto the regular spelling, you're still going to get the mispronunciation, because the word wasn't entered with the correct spelling in the first dialog where it needs to be detected as a word for which the pronunciation should be changed.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

forcefed

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Annabelle Susan Morison

You could go into "Eloqmain.dct" within Notepad and type the following:
Malachi `[.1mAl.0x.2kY]
MALACHI `[.1mAl.0x.2kY]
malachi `[.1mAl.0x.2kY]

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

forcefed

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Joseph Machise <jdmachise@...>

Hi bill tried to write you off list, can you send me the link for CDEXE

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 10:10 PM

Hi, Nancy. One change I would have made in the phoenetic pronunciation of beignet is that I would have used one e in ben yea, because when you write the word been as in the past tense of be, it almost sounds like an I sound, whereas if you write ben, it sounds like a short e, the way beignet should sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Bill White

Hi, Joseph. Try this link, then click the download button.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/cdex-1-51

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Machise
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 7:35 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Bill White

Hi, Joseph. Here is the link to CDex version 170B

https://filehippo.com/download_cdex/1.7.0.2.-2/post_download/

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Machise

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Nancy Hill

LOL, Bill...you do have a point, but I might just be having jaws pronounce beignet like they do down South.

regards,

nancy

On 4/24/2022 10:10 PM, Bill White wrote:

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Nancy Hill

Mal uh ki is how I would get the jaws dictionary to pronounce the name of the Biblical book...with a space between each sylable....that makes the name sound right to my 'Southern' ears.

regards,

nancy

On 4/24/2022 10:25 PM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
Malachi [.1mAl.0x.2kY]
MALACHI [.1mAl.0x.2kY]
malachi [.1mAl.0x.2kY]

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

forcefed

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Bill White

Hi, Nancy. I can get it to do the same thing without spaces by spelling the alternate spelling Malakai

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 10:15 PM

Mal uh ki is how I would get the jaws dictionary to pronounce the name of the Biblical book...with a space between each sylable....that makes the name sound right to my 'Southern' ears.

regards,

nancy

On 4/24/2022 10:25 PM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:

Malachi [.1mAl.0x.2kY]
MALACHI [.1mAl.0x.2kY]
malachi [.1mAl.0x.2kY]

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

forcefed

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Sandra Streeter

Of course, with a smattering of Canadian accent, I would have to replace “been” with “bean”. Always somethin’!

Sandra

(William Shakespeare)

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 1:09 AM

LOL, Bill...you do have a point, but I might just be having jaws pronounce beignet like they do down South.

regards,

nancy

On 4/24/2022 10:10 PM, Bill White wrote:

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".

Joseph Machise <jdmachise@...>

thanks bill

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 10:52 PM

Hi, Joseph. Try this link, then click the download button.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/cdex-1-51

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Just a thought.

nancy

"forcefed".