Topics

moderated A website question which may involve Jaws focus

Greg Daniel

4:20 AM 10/23/2020

Hi everyone,

I have a website-based question; I am using Windows 10 and Jaws 2020.

I am the primary admin for a Eucharistic adoration ministry in my parish, and that ministry uses a web-based application called We Adore Him to control adorer scheduling.  I have successfully used the software since August 2018 and, after being shut down by COVID-19 since mid-March, we are preparing to open the chapel again.  As a result, I have been assisting adorers to choose an hour in the weekly calendar.  All went well until Wednesday, October 21, when the weekly calendar suddenly would not display when I arrowed to it; it now displays the hour at midnight, tells me that one slot is available, and when I arrow down in order to go to a particular hour of the day, I am at the bottom of the screen.

I am using the Jaws cursor which appears for all websites, and I have checked to be sure that my screen is maximized and in full-screen mode in Chrome.  A sighted tech-savvy friend has assisted me via Zoom and screen-share, and she tells me that the full schedule, showing adorers signed up for this or that hour--is showing on the screen.  I have contacted On Fire Media to ask them if they have been testing and that might be the reason for my issue, but they have not.  They are aware of Jaws and have a demo copy to use.  I can navigate the screen in My Dashboard if I want to update the settings in my account, but whenever I choose "Schedule", choose the particular week, I only see the first entry.

I honestly don't know if this is a Jaws focus issue or something entirely different.  Can you please remind me of the keystrokes for the rotor which a user can look at in the case of a focus issue?  Or, alternatively, do you have other suggestions?

I have tried everything I can think of.

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions,

Greg Daniel

Columbus, Ohio

Richard Turner

Have you tried a different browser? Edge, FireFox?

Richard

On Oct 23, 2020, at 2:31 AM, Greg Daniel <gdaniel0488@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike B

I'm not sure what you mean about Rotor keystrokes.  The only rotor navigation I'm aware of is on an iPhone.  Have you tried using the Touch cursor?

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 1:42 AM
Subject: A website question which may involve Jaws focus

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Hi Greg,

You might try JAWS’s touch cursor, which you access by pressing the shift and PC cursor keys together. Exit touch cursor mode with two presses of that PC cursor key. I rarely find it useful, but sometimes it helps. Use the tab and arrow keys to navigate.

As Mike B indicates, your reference to “rotor” is confusing, since it calls to mind the iPhone. You also seem to suggest you navigate with the JAWS cursor. I assume you also use the PC cursor, which I’d expect to be more useful for this purpose.

[...]

No, Richard, I have not tried a different browser, but thank you for the suggestion.

Greg

[...]

Mike,

I vaguely remember some unnamed keystroke that one could use if Jaws has lost focus; that keystroke rotored through various settings.

As the result of another reply, I have tried using Firefox, but unless I can modify settings, Firefox was painfully slow in responding.  I haven’t tried Edge yet, and Chrome is the browser which is having difficulties with the website.

Greg

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 1:42 AM

[...]

I think a less confusing word to use in place of, Rotor, would be, Toggle.  There are several keystrokes that toggle through settings, but a focus toggling keystroke just isn't coming to mind at the moment.  Hopefully someone will come through with it.

[...]

Mario

could Greg be looking for insert+z which toggles the virtual cursor on and off?

I think a less confusing word to use in place of, Rotor, would be,
Toggle.  There are several keystrokes that toggle through settings, but
a focus toggling keystroke just isn't coming to mind at the moment.
Hopefully someone will come through with it.

Main's Law:  For every action there is an equal and opposite government
program.

[...]

Greg,

The lost focus setting determines whether JAWS announces that focus has been lost. It doesn’t fix the problem.

[...]

in which case, the only way to regain focus is to either hold down alt and press tab until the program is spoken, and release the alt and tab keys, or press insert+f10, arrow to the program in question and press enter. the former is sort of a toggle, cycling thru what's running.

[...]

Mario,

I don't believe Greg is losing focus from the program, but rather from within the program.

I only mean to suggest that this line of thinking probably won't lead to a solution. Limited help, I know.

[...]

CathyAnne Murtha

You can refresh the JAWS view with JAWS KEY-ESCAPE but I don’t know of any rotor.

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 955-6611

[...]

Hi CathyAnne,

After scrounging around in my note taker notes, I realized that I was confusing my question to you with the keystroke which controls focusing on the ribbons.

I have tried the Brave browser and FireFox with better success than with Chrome.  I haven’t yet tried using NVDA; sometimes a different screen reader helps with accessing a difficult screen.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Greg Daniel

[...]

Adrian,

You are entirely correct that the issues I was experiencing had nothing to
do with focus; I was confused about maintaining focus with ribbons, and
thought that that might help me out. The issue is within the calendar
section of the scheduling program which I am using, and it is a strange one.
I switched to the Brave browser and now the program works correctly for the
week of November 8-14, but not for the previous week--as I mentioned, very
strange.

Thank you to you and to all others who helped with suggestions.

Greg