Removable disk shortcut?

Elaine Young <hidden_spring@...>

Hi,

I am having a senior moment. I have done this before but just can't work through the process right now.

Can someone tell me the steps to create a shortcut on my desktop to access my removable disk? I frequently need to access flash drives  plugged into the computer and like to have "removable disk" right on my desktop . I think I press windows key, type in this PC, hit enter and I find "devices and drives, row header expanded" -- but I just can't find the CD, e or f drive, and I really would like to make it all a shortcut.

Am I making sense to you? Just not sure how to explain what I want to do.  smile.

-Elaine

--
Knowing the future is uncertain; knowing the One who holds the future is a sure thing.
Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Jonas Voll

Well you can use the drive letter, but that may change!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Elaine Young
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 1:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Removable disk shortcut?

Hi,

I am having a senior moment. I have done this before but just can't work through the process right now.

Can someone tell me the steps to create a shortcut on my desktop to access my removable disk? I frequently need to access flash drives plugged into the computer and like to have "removable disk" right on my desktop . I think I press windows key, type in this PC, hit enter and I find "devices and drives, row header expanded" -- but I just can't find the CD, e or f drive, and I really would like to make it all a shortcut.

Am I making sense to you? Just not sure how to explain what I want to do. smile.

-Elaine

--
Knowing the future is uncertain; knowing the One who holds the future is a sure thing.
Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com
and
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to
'spam@...'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Joe DiNero

Do you mean having my computer or if you are Windows 10 This PC on your desktop?

Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:04 PM

Hi,

Can someone tell me the steps to create a shortcut on my desktop to access my removable disk? I frequently need to access flash drives plugged into the computer and like to have "removable disk" right on my desktop . I think I press windows key, type in this PC, hit enter and I find "devices and drives, row header expanded" -- but I just can't find the CD, e or f drive, and I really would like to make it all a shortcut.

Am I making sense to you? Just not sure how to explain what I want to do. smile.

-Elaine

--

Hi Joe,

Not sure if This PC is what I want. Let me try again...
I want a shortcut on my desktop that will take me directly to my removable disk options such as "CD", "E drive" and "F drive".  I did this on my computer 2 years ago but the process to do it must have changed in one of the updates. I am trying to tell a friend how to open a flash drive she has connected into her USB.

Elaine

On 1/29/2018 3:18 PM, Joe DiNero wrote:
Do you mean having my computer or if you are Windows 10 This PC on your desktop?

Hi,

-Elaine

--

--

Carol Smith

Hi,

I just created a shortcut for one of my external drives in Windows 10.

First, make sure the drive is plugged in.
Press Windows key plus E
Find the drive in the list of available drives
Press the applications/context key
Arrow down to create shortcut and press enter
I was given a choice of creating the shortcut on the desktop and chose yes
The shortcut is on my desktop.
It is called Seagate backup plus drive and has a drive letter
The drive opens when I enter on the desktop shortcut icon.

Hope this helps.

Carol

On 1/29/2018 8:58 PM, Elaine Young wrote:
Hi Joe,

I want a shortcut on my desktop that will take me directly to my removable disk options such as "CD", "E drive" and "F drive". I did this on my computer 2 years ago but the process to do it must have changed in one of the updates. I am trying to tell a friend how to open a flash drive she has connected into her USB.

Elaine

Hi,

-Elaine

--

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

That is one way to do it which has not been changed since Windows 7 at least.
If you already know the drive letter for your CD drive or other removeable drive, you can also do the following:

1. Make sure you are on the desktop, it doesn't matter which icon.
2. Press Control+Spacebar to unselect the icon you are on
3. Press application key or Shift+F10
4. Arrow down to "New" or press "w"
5. Arrow down to "Shortcut" and press enter
6. In the "Type a location" enter your drive letter followed by a colon, e.g. d: or e:, tab to Next and press space
7. In the "Enter a name for the shortcut" type what you want to call it, e.g. DVD Drive" or "USB Drive", tab to Finish and press space.

Regards,
Sieghard

David Bailes

Hi Elaine,
just to add that an alternative to using a shortcut is to use the search available in the start menu. For example to open File explorer at your C drive:
1. open the start menu.
2. type the letter C followed by a colon, and then press enter.

David.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:04 am, Elaine Young wrote:
Hi,

I am having a senior moment. I have done this before but just can't work
through the process right now.

Can someone tell me the steps to create a shortcut on my desktop to
access my removable disk? I frequently need to access flash drives 
plugged into the computer and like to have "removable disk" right on my
desktop . I think I press windows key, type in this PC, hit enter and I
find "devices and drives, row header expanded" -- but I just can't find
the CD, e or f drive, and I really would like to make it all a shortcut.

Am I making sense to you? Just not sure how to explain what I want to
do.  smile.

-Elaine

--

Hi David, thanks I got this part. This makes sense to me. smile.

Elaine On 1/30/2018 3:53 AM, David Bailes wrote:

Hi Elaine,
just to add that an alternative to using a shortcut is to use the search available in the start menu. For example to open File explorer at your C drive:
1. open the start menu.
2. type the letter C followed by a colon, and then press enter.

David.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:04 am, Elaine Young wrote:
Hi,

I am having a senior moment. I have done this before but just can't work
through the process right now.

Can someone tell me the steps to create a shortcut on my desktop to
access my removable disk? I frequently need to access flash drives 
plugged into the computer and like to have "removable disk" right on my
desktop . I think I press windows key, type in this PC, hit enter and I
find "devices and drives, row header expanded" -- but I just can't find
the CD, e or f drive, and I really would like to make it all a shortcut.

Am I making sense to you? Just not sure how to explain what I want to
do.  smile.

-Elaine

--

-- 

Hi Sieghard,

Okay, I can follow this. But isn't there a way I can have my CD drive, E drive and F drive altogether in the same folder/icon on my desktop? Again, I already have this but probably did it with Windows 10 prior to the Creator's Update. Something must have changed since then since I can't figure it out any more to help my friend. sigh.

Elaine

On 1/29/2018 10:00 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
If you already know the drive letter for your CD drive or other removeable drive, you can also do the following:

2. Press Control+Spacebar to unselect the icon you are on
3. Press application key or Shift+F10
4. Arrow down to "New" or press "w"
5. Arrow down to "Shortcut" and press enter
6. In the "Type a location" enter your drive letter followed by a colon, e.g. d: or e:, tab to Next and press space
7. In the "Enter a name for the shortcut" type what you want to call it, e.g. DVD Drive" or "USB Drive", tab to Finish and press space.

Regards,
Sieghard

--

Hi Carol, Yes, this does help. Thanks!

Elaine

On 1/29/2018 9:51 PM, Carol Smith via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,

I just created a shortcut for one of my external drives in Windows 10.

First, make sure the drive is plugged in.
Press Windows key plus E
Find the drive in the list of available drives
Press the applications/context key
Arrow down to create shortcut and press enter
I was given a choice of creating the shortcut on the desktop and chose yes
The shortcut is on my desktop.
It is called Seagate backup plus drive and has a drive letter
The drive opens when I enter on the desktop shortcut icon.

Hope this helps.

Carol

On 1/29/2018 8:58 PM, Elaine Young wrote:
Hi Joe,

I want a shortcut on my desktop that will take me directly to my removable disk options such as "CD", "E drive" and "F drive".  I did this on my computer 2 years ago but the process to do it must have changed in one of the updates. I am trying to tell a friend how to open a flash drive she has connected into her USB.

Elaine

Hi,

Am I making sense to you? Just not sure how to explain what I want to do.  smile.

-Elaine

--

--

Jonas Voll

That is a short cut to the computer folder!
The best way to use your drives is to give the drives a friendly name and use first letter navigation!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: Removable disk shortcut?

Hi Sieghard,

Okay, I can follow this. But isn't there a way I can have my CD drive, E drive and F drive altogether in the same folder/icon on my desktop?
Again, I already have this but probably did it with Windows 10 prior to the Creator's Update. Something must have changed since then since I can't figure it out any more to help my friend. sigh.

Elaine

2. Press Control+Spacebar to unselect the icon you are on 3. Press
application key or Shift+F10 4. Arrow down to "New" or press "w"
5. Arrow down to "Shortcut" and press enter 6. In the "Type a
location" enter your drive letter followed by a colon, e.g. d: or e:,
tab to Next and press space 7. In the "Enter a name for the shortcut" type what you want to call it, e.g. DVD Drive" or "USB Drive", tab to Finish and press space.

Regards,
Sieghard

--

To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@...'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...>

Don't you see this PC on your desktop? This PC is where you'll find all your drives.

Jonas Voll

That folder is one you will need to add to your desktop!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:42 AM

Don't you see this PC on your desktop? This PC is where you'll find all your drives.

To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@...'

Brice,

no, I do not have This PC on my desktop. I don't know why, but it isn't there. So perhaps this is where I should start.... how do I put it on my desktop?

Elaine

On 1/30/2018 10:41 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:

--

Windows Key+E will basically give you the same as "This PC".
If you want shortcuts to specific drives then youa re still better off creating shortcuts.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:35 AM

Brice,

no, I do not have This PC on my desktop. I don't know why, but it isn't there. So perhaps this is where I should start.... how do I put it on my desktop?

Elaine

Don't you see this PC on your desktop? This PC is where you'll find
all your drives.

--

If you want these shortcuts in a folder then just create a folder on your desktop first (same method applies except you go to "Folder" under 'new" instead of "Shortcut" and then after you created it open the folder and create your shortcuts in there the same way I described.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:29 AM

Hi Sieghard,

Okay, I can follow this. But isn't there a way I can have my CD drive, E drive and F drive altogether in the same folder/icon on my desktop?
Again, I already have this but probably did it with Windows 10 prior to the Creator's Update. Something must have changed since then since I can't figure it out any more to help my friend. sigh.

Elaine

2. Press Control+Spacebar to unselect the icon you are on 3. Press
application key or Shift+F10 4. Arrow down to "New" or press "w"
5. Arrow down to "Shortcut" and press enter 6. In the "Type a
location" enter your drive letter followed by a colon, e.g. d: or e:,
tab to Next and press space 7. In the "Enter a name for the shortcut" type what you want to call it, e.g. DVD Drive" or "USB Drive", tab to Finish and press space.

Regards,
Sieghard

--

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Elaine,

See if the steps below will help you get, This PC, back on your desktop:

****How to put the, this pc, icon on the desktop.
1. Windows-key+I, for settings, tab one time to the main category list.
2. Right arrow to personalization, press enter, tab one time to the
list of sub-categories.
3. Down arrow to themes, press enter.
4. Tab three times to, desktop icons settings link, press enter.
5. You will land on, desktop icons computer three state button checked,
if this is not checked, press the spacebar to check.
6. Now tab one time to, desktop icons listview, This PC, one of five.
7. Now highlight the This PC icon, press enter.
8. Now you will have the, This PC icon on your desktop.
This  will work for your friend, good luck...
Ji
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:34 AM

Brice,

no, I do not have This PC on my desktop. I don't know why, but it isn't
there. So perhaps this is where I should start.... how do I put it on my
desktop?

Elaine

> Don't you see this PC on your desktop? This PC is where you'll find
> all your drives.
>
>
>
>
>

--

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Elaine. Try the following. From your Windows 10 desktop, press CONTROL plus N as in Nancy. Once you have done this, type the letter T as in Tango until you run out of icons starting with the letter T. See if there is one called This PC. If so, copy this icon to the clipboard.

Press ALT plus F4. Make sure you are back at your original desktop. If you found the icon for This PC in the desktop folder, paste it onto your desktop.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@...

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:35 AM

Brice,

no, I do not have This PC on my desktop. I don't know why, but it isn't
there. So perhaps this is where I should start.... how do I put it on my
desktop?

Elaine

all your drives.

--

Joe DiNero

This is how to add This PC to your desktop

1 - Go to the desktop and unselect any selected icons by hitting control + space bar
2 Hit the application key and arrow up to personalize
3 Tab to Open Theme Settings and hit enter on that
4 Tab to Desktop icon settings and hit enter
5 Arrow down to computer and hit to space bar to enable change the state to check
6 Tab to ok and hit enter
7 Voila you are done

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:35 AM

Brice,

Elaine

all your drives.

--

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Joe. Doing this will add an icon, not a shortcut. If you don't think there is a difference between an icon and a shortcut, try opening properties on the This PC icon on your desktop. It will not give you shortcut properties. It will take you directly to some settings.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe DiNero
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:49 AM

This is how to add This PC to your desktop

1 - Go to the desktop and unselect any selected icons by hitting control + space bar
2 Hit the application key and arrow up to personalize
3 Tab to Open Theme Settings and hit enter on that
4 Tab to Desktop icon settings and hit enter
5 Arrow down to computer and hit to space bar to enable change the state to check
6 Tab to ok and hit enter
7 Voila you are done

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:35 AM

Brice,

Elaine

all your drives.

--