JAWS question about picking out greeting cards online with total blindness

Walker, Michael E

Hi, in the past, I have had sighted people help me with picking out greeting cards that have visual decorations. For those of you who are totally blind, how do you do it completely independently? I know there are sites like Greeting Card Universe. I also know that how descriptive the card's decoration will be depends on the web designer. Is it best to do this independently, or would you still advise having a sighted person check the card I wanted, before ordering?

Thanks,
Mike

Bill Tessore

Well Mike, I have heard there’s an app called “Seeing A I” which can read higly stylized text that other portable OCR software can’t. But I’ve not tested it independently. My Visual Impairment Services Team coordinator showed me how it works with her iPhone and it picked up text that KNFB Reader didn’t. Hope this helps. Shalom, Bill Tessore

Sent from my iPhoneSent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2018, at 5:59 AM, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@...> wrote:

Hi, in the past, I have had sighted people help me with picking out greeting cards that have visual decorations. For those of you who are totally blind, how do you do it completely independently? I know there are sites like Greeting Card Universe. I also know that how descriptive the card's decoration will be depends on the web designer. Is it best to do this independently, or would you still advise having a sighted person check the card I wanted, before ordering?

Thanks,
Mike

Walker, Michael E

Thank you, Bill. Does this app let you order cards online, or is it for the case where you are shopping at a store in person for cards?

[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Seeing AI is on your iPhone, but it does read computer screens in the Short Text mode, but I've never tried it with greeting cards.
The app is free and well worth your time anyway to check it out. It now has a handwriting mode where you take a picture of handwritten text and it does an amazing job of reading it. This is a first for OCR software, and it is FREE!
Richard

On Jan 29, 2018, at 6:21 AM, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard, that sounds amazing. I will have to check it out. I bet that will help with overcoming accessibility obstacles in other apps on my computer.

As for greeting cards, I thought of a solution. I am going to accept that when I order a card online, before I order, I will have a sighted person describe the decorations, as I know there is more to cards than text. If a sighted person is not present, I can send them a link to the online card, for them to tell me if it looks good. It is a way of double checking that I am really ordering what I want.

Thanks,

Mike

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I would still ask a sighted person. However good all these apps are, what if it misses something that may not be appropriate or what you want for a particular occasion?

Hi, in the past, I have had sighted people help me with picking out greeting cards that have visual decorations. For those of you who are totally blind, how do you do it completely independently? I know there are sites like Greeting Card Universe. I also know that how descriptive the card's decoration will be depends on the web designer. Is it best to do this independently, or would you still advise having a sighted person check the card I wanted, before ordering?

Thanks,
Mike

Walker, Michael E

That is also what I concluded, after other answers I received. I could send a sighted person a link to the card I thought about, if one is not physically present.

Thanks,
Mike

I would still ask a sighted person. However good all these apps are, what if it misses something that may not be appropriate or what you want for a particular occasion?

Hi, in the past, I have had sighted people help me with picking out greeting cards that have visual decorations. For those of you who are totally blind, how do you do it completely independently? I know there are sites like Greeting Card Universe. I also know that how descriptive the card's decoration will be depends on the web designer. Is it best to do this independently, or would you still advise having a sighted person check the card I wanted, before ordering?

Thanks,
Mike

Bill Tessore

Hi again Mike,
  no, the Seeing A I app is strictly an OCR adaptive software for the visually impaired. However, in addition to the abilities that the previous comment her mentioned with regard to reading hand written text, it can also play back the stored information in SKU barcodes. A very handy feature for those of us that cannot read product labels.

Plus, it also offers a facial recognition function which can be programmed to identify people you commonly and counter.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
 Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2018, at 6:41 AM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

[...]

Excellent! Thank you for all your help, Bill.