moderated Jaws and fusion?

Dave Durber

Abraham:

Thank you for the clarrification

Dave

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2022 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: Jaws and fusion?

I have been using fusion for the past 3+ years.
There are three programs installed, fusion, Jaws and zoom text.
only one of them can be running at any given time.

Thanks,abraham 

On Aug 11, 2022, at 3:50 AM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Brian:

If Fusion contains both JAWS and ZoomText, then why would there be a need to have JAWS and ZoomText installed as 2 separate software packages on the same system. Not only that, if someone is running Fusion and a separate version of ZoomText at the same time, which magnification package is taking preference, the zoomText part of Fusion or, the separate version of ZoonText. To my mind, it would hardly be surprising if there were conflicts between the 2 versions of ZoonText. I think Glenn has it right, comfusion.

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 3:58 PM

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 10:51 AM, Curtis Chong wrote:
Are you now saying that when Fusion is installed, you don’t get both JAWS and ZoomText as a part of the package?
-
No, I said precisely what you have:  Fusion is JAWS and ZoomText rolled into one.  But the last time I dealt with Fusion I thought I recalled there being a "Grand Unified Interface" from which you could choose, essentially, to use classic JAWS functions, classic ZoomText functions, or both at the same time.

That is why I find it confusing to see the phrasing, "running fusion with zoomText."   To me, that implies Fusion is installed, and ZoomText is installed as a separate thing, which makes zero sense to me.  If you're running Fusion you're running Fusion.  You may use whichever of the classic JAWS or ZoomText functions you wish, but you are not "running ZoomText" with Fusion, you are using the magnification features/side of Fusion.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Abraham Sweiss

I would disagree.
I use fusion, and use both the audio and magnification.
If you want we can talk off-line.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 10, 2022, at 11:50 PM, Ann Byrne <annakb@...> wrote:

Yes. Right now she is using fusion, the ZoomText part, at 4.5 magnification. this is totally not practical, and I guess it's up to me to help her realize that. For a person just losing her vision, the jump from magnification to audio is huge, because it means acknowledging the b-word (blind). God grant me wisdom and kindness to help her make this adjustment.
At 07:17 PM 8/10/2022, you wrote:
Hi,
If the user is a strictly Screenwitter user, don’t run fusion as the program will echo key presses of certain keys unlike jaws. If the user already has fusion, you can disable it from start up and set jaws to boot on start up.
Fusion is functional for a screen reader user. However, for optimal functionality use jaws.

Feliciano
For tech tips and updates:
LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.instagram/TheBlindMan12v
those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Steve Jobs

On Aug 10, 2022, at 3:11 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi Ann,

When I press insert + j with Fusion 2020 running, the JAWS context menu opens and I hear Run from tray spoken. In the context menu, I have choices for Options, Utilities, Language, Help, and About. All of these choices contain submenus except for About.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 4:47 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

So. If fusion is running and she presses
insert+j, will that take her to the JAWS screen
or does she have to be running JAWS?
At 03:07 PM 8/10/2022, you wrote:

David,

You can check out this link and I expect it will tell you everything
you want to know about Fusion:

<https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/fusion/>https://ww
w.freedomscientific.com/products/software/fusion/

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David
Diamond
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 12:24 PM

What is Fusion? I̢۪ve heard of JAWS of course and zoomtextext, but have
no idea how Fusion works.

<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
<<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis
Chong
Sent: August 10, 2022 8:02 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io

Brian:

You can run JAWS and/or ZoomText as separate programs under your Fusion
license, and you get both in any case. So, as a user, you can choose to
run Fusion, JAWS, ZoomText, or any combination.

Curtis

<<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 8:58 AM

Are you now saying that when Fusion is
installed, you don̢۪t get both JAWS and ZoomText as a part of the pe package?

-
No, I said precisely what you have: Fusion is
JAWS and ZoomText rolled into one. But the last
time I dealt with Fusion I thought I recalled
there being a "Grand Unified Interface" from
which you could choose, essentially, to use
classic JAWS functions, classic ZoomText functions, or both at the same time.

That is why I find it confusing to see the
phrasing, "running fusion with zoomText." To
me, that implies Fusion is installed, and
ZoomText is installed as a separate thing, which
makes zero sense to me. If you're running
Fusion you're running Fusion. You may use
whichever of the classic JAWS or ZoomText
functions you wish, but you are not "running
ZoomText" with Fusion, you are using the magnification features/side of Fusion.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Here is a test to find out whether your mission
in life is complete. If you̢۪re alive, it isn̢n̢۪t.
~ Lauren Bacall

Abraham Sweiss

I have been using fusion for the past 3+ years.
There are three programs installed, fusion, Jaws and zoom text.
only one of them can be running at any given time.

Thanks,abraham 

On Aug 11, 2022, at 3:50 AM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Brian:

If Fusion contains both JAWS and ZoomText, then why would there be a need to have JAWS and ZoomText installed as 2 separate software packages on the same system. Not only that, if someone is running Fusion and a separate version of ZoomText at the same time, which magnification package is taking preference, the zoomText part of Fusion or, the separate version of ZoonText. To my mind, it would hardly be surprising if there were conflicts between the 2 versions of ZoonText. I think Glenn has it right, comfusion.

Dave

Are you now saying that when Fusion is installed, you don’t get both JAWS and ZoomText as a part of the package?
-
No, I said precisely what you have:  Fusion is JAWS and ZoomText rolled into one.  But the last time I dealt with Fusion I thought I recalled there being a "Grand Unified Interface" from which you could choose, essentially, to use classic JAWS functions, classic ZoomText functions, or both at the same time.

That is why I find it confusing to see the phrasing, "running fusion with zoomText."   To me, that implies Fusion is installed, and ZoomText is installed as a separate thing, which makes zero sense to me.  If you're running Fusion you're running Fusion.  You may use whichever of the classic JAWS or ZoomText functions you wish, but you are not "running ZoomText" with Fusion, you are using the magnification features/side of Fusion.
--

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Dave Durber

Brian:

Dave

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

K0LNY

Exactly, that is like structured discovery, but a self-induced form of it.
Back when I could see the mouse pointer, I used to use the mouse trails in case the mouse was the only option to accomplish something on the computer, and I had the high contrast settings set as well.
But I never sat close to the screen and never tried to see what was happening, I didn't worry about reading the icons, the fact that my sight was going to get worse made me believe in the screenreader and I never had to worry about getting a soar neck from straining to see the screen.
I think for someone with eyesight that is going to get worse, is only hurting him or herself by putting off the inevitable, which is learning keyboard commands.
To use the crutch of screen magnification when your sight will diminish is like not learning to use a cane because you are barely getting by with your sight, when a cane can keep you safe along the way.
Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 11:19 PM

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:50 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
For a person just losing her vision, the jump from magnification to audio is huge, because it means acknowledging the b-word (blind).
-
Ann,

You have my sympathy, and I have walked that "mile in your current shoes" in the past.  You end up being both a tutor and a counselor and a therapist at various moments and it's not easy.

That being said, if this is someone who can be semi-detached about her own situation, it is really worth pointing out that it is far easier to start getting into using a screen reader while you have enough residual vision to see what's going on, particularly when errors occur.  It lets you form a visual framework for the audio that is very useful to have, and that you cannot acquire after your vision is gone.

I had a client who was a graduate student who was in this situation, and it became obvious early on that magnification was not going to remain an effective compensation over the mid to long term.  Very early on I told him that our tutoring work needed to focus far more heavily on developing screen reader skills, but that for practical reasons he should use whichever worked best for him on any given day (his vision was that variable).  He recognized that preparing for where he was going was far more critical for his long term success (and happiness, for that matter).

If the client adamantly resists, well, you have done your due diligence and given them information they need to hear and consider.  There's never any guarantee they'll accept it, but it needs to be said if they've already begun to acknowledge what's to come to a significant extent.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:50 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
For a person just losing her vision, the jump from magnification to audio is huge, because it means acknowledging the b-word (blind).
-
Ann,

You have my sympathy, and I have walked that "mile in your current shoes" in the past.  You end up being both a tutor and a counselor and a therapist at various moments and it's not easy.

That being said, if this is someone who can be semi-detached about her own situation, it is really worth pointing out that it is far easier to start getting into using a screen reader while you have enough residual vision to see what's going on, particularly when errors occur.  It lets you form a visual framework for the audio that is very useful to have, and that you cannot acquire after your vision is gone.

I had a client who was a graduate student who was in this situation, and it became obvious early on that magnification was not going to remain an effective compensation over the mid to long term.  Very early on I told him that our tutoring work needed to focus far more heavily on developing screen reader skills, but that for practical reasons he should use whichever worked best for him on any given day (his vision was that variable).  He recognized that preparing for where he was going was far more critical for his long term success (and happiness, for that matter).

If the client adamantly resists, well, you have done your due diligence and given them information they need to hear and consider.  There's never any guarantee they'll accept it, but it needs to be said if they've already begun to acknowledge what's to come to a significant extent.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Ann Byrne

thanks, Alan. that is awesome! With that menu I should be able to get to utilities submenu and to tandem.

At 05:11 PM 8/10/2022, you wrote:
Hi Ann,

When I press insert + j with Fusion 2020 running, the JAWS context menu opens and I hear Run from tray spoken. In the context menu, I have choices for Options, Utilities, Language, Help, and About. All of these choices contain submenus except for About.

Alan Lemly

David,

Alan Lemly

Diamond

What is Fusion? I̢۪ve heard of JAWS of course and zd zoomtext, but have

Chong

Brian:

Curtis

installed, you don̢۪t get both JAWS and
ZoomText as as a part of the package?

-
classic JAWS functions, classic ZoomText
functions, or both at the same time.

ZoomText" with Fusion, you are using the
magnification features/side of Fusion.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Ann Byrne

Yes. Right now she is using fusion, the ZoomText part, at 4.5 magnification. this is totally not practical, and I guess it's up to me to help her realize that. For a person just losing her vision, the jump from magnification to audio is huge, because it means acknowledging the b-word (blind). God grant me wisdom and kindness to help her make this adjustment.

At 07:17 PM 8/10/2022, you wrote:
Hi,
If the user is a strictly Screenwitter user, don’t run fusion as the program will echo key presses of certain keys unlike jaws. If the user already has fusion, you can disable it from start up and set jaws to boot on start up.
Fusion is functional for a screen reader user. However, for optimal functionality use jaws.

Feliciano
those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Steve Jobs

Hi Ann,

When I press insert + j with Fusion 2020
running, the JAWS context menu opens and I hear Run from tray spoken. In the context menu, I have choices for Options, Utilities, Language, Help, and About. All of these choices contain submenus except for About.

Alan Lemly

David,

Alan Lemly

Diamond

What is Fusion? I̢۪ve heard of JAWS of
course and zoomtextext, but have

Chong

Brian:

Curtis

installed, you don̢۪t get both JAWS and
ZoomText as a part of the pe package?

-
classic JAWS functions, classic ZoomText
functions, or both at the same time.

ZoomText" with Fusion, you are using the
magnification features/side of Fusion.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Ann Byrne

It appears from what Alan said that JAWS is running, so I can get to the menu and invoke tandem. Which is what I need to do.

wooohooo!

At 05:19 PM 8/10/2022, you wrote:
Ann,The <https://www.freedomscientific.com/training/fusion/hotkeys/>Fusion Hotkeys Page says the following: "Note: When running Fusion, JAWS provides the screen reading functionality. The ZoomText screen reading features and associated hotkeys are disabled. JAWS uses desktop keyboard layout by default. Desktop layout lets you use your keyboard’s numeric keypad to type commands (hotkeys). If your keyboard does not have a numeric keypad, use laptop keyboard layout instead."I am not entirely clear what you mean by "take her to the JAWS screen" in context. It would be my presumption that if she wants only the behaviors and shortcuts of JAWS, then it should be invoked rather than Fusion in that circumstance. But give INSERT + J a shot from Fusion and see what you get as it surely won't break anything.--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044 Â

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.   ~ Lauren Bacall

Feliciano G

Hi,

Feliciano

Hi Ann,

Alan Lemly

David,

Alan Lemly

Diamond

What is Fusion? I’ve heard of JAWS of course and zoomtext, but have

Chong

Brian:

Curtis

installed, you don’t get both JAWS and ZoomText as a part of the package?

-

--

in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.
~ Lauren Bacall

Ann,

The Fusion Hotkeys Page says the following:  "Note: When running Fusion, JAWS provides the screen reading functionality. The ZoomText screen reading features and associated hotkeys are disabled. JAWS uses desktop keyboard layout by default. Desktop layout lets you use your keyboard’s numeric keypad to type commands (hotkeys). If your keyboard does not have a numeric keypad, use laptop keyboard layout instead."

I am not entirely clear what you mean by "take her to the JAWS screen" in context.  It would be my presumption that if she wants only the behaviors and shortcuts of JAWS, then it should be invoked rather than Fusion in that circumstance.  But give INSERT + J a shot from Fusion and see what you get as it surely won't break anything.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Hi Ann,

Alan Lemly

David,

Alan Lemly

Diamond

What is Fusion? I’ve heard of JAWS of course and zoomtext, but have

Chong

Brian:

Curtis

installed, you don’t get both JAWS and ZoomText as a part of the package?

-

--

in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.
~ Lauren Bacall

Ann Byrne

So. If fusion is running and she presses insert+j, will that take her to the JAWS screen or does she have to be running JAWS?

David,

You can check out this link and I expect it will tell you everything you want to know about Fusion:

<https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/fusion/>https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/fusion/

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond

What is Fusion? I’ve heard of JAWS of course and zoomtext, but have no idea how Fusion works.

From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io <<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong

Brian:

You can run JAWS and/or ZoomText as separate programs under your Fusion license, and you get both in any case. So, as a user, you can choose to run Fusion, JAWS, ZoomText, or any combination.

Curtis

From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io <<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel

-
No, I said precisely what you have: Fusion is JAWS and ZoomText rolled into one. But the last time I dealt with Fusion I thought I recalled there being a "Grand Unified Interface" from which you could choose, essentially, to use classic JAWS functions, classic ZoomText functions, or both at the same time.

That is why I find it confusing to see the phrasing, "running fusion with zoomText." To me, that implies Fusion is installed, and ZoomText is installed as a separate thing, which makes zero sense to me. If you're running Fusion you're running Fusion. You may use whichever of the classic JAWS or ZoomText functions you wish, but you are not "running ZoomText" with Fusion, you are using the magnification features/side of Fusion.
--

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.
~ Lauren Bacall

David,

You can check out this link and I expect it will tell you everything you want to know about Fusion:

https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/fusion/

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond

What is Fusion?  I’ve heard of JAWS of course and zoomtext, but have no idea how Fusion works. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong

Brian:

You can run JAWS and/or ZoomText as separate programs under your Fusion license, and you get both in any case. So, as a user, you can choose to run Fusion, JAWS, ZoomText, or any combination.

Curtis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Let us now return to the original question, in case somebody needs a reminder.🙂

“Does the fusion install place a JAWS icon on her  [the student’s]) desktop?  Can she activate JAWS so we can use tandem?”

The specific answer to the questions are “yes,” and Yes.” The Fusion license will activate for full function of JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion.

I think that should put this to rest.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 6:49 AM
Subject: Jaws and fusion?

I will be working with a student who is running fusion with

zoomText.  Does the fusion install place a JAWS icon on her

desktop?  Can she activate JAWS so we can use tandem?

Thx,

Ann

Brian,

Actually, Ann’s original post was very specific as to her Fusion question. The confusion seemed to arise when others who don’t use the program started speculating  on how the program installs and operates. My recollection is that those were the posts causing the lack of clarity.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 11:13 AM

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:29 AM, Alan Lemly wrote:

But unless you are currently using Fusion, I’d suggest you not comment on how well Fusion functions based on what others have said.

-
Alan, all due respect, but "what others have said" is all any of us have to go on in many of these topics.

I get what it is you're saying, but it was the lack of clarity on exactly what Fusion is, and is not, putting on the desktop that, in my opinion, started all this.  If I only commented on things I'm absolutely up-to-the-moment current with rather than basing much on years of experience (though not with Fusion) I'd be able to comment on very little.  Body of knowledge should, and does, count for something, particularly when the thing under discussion has some very static features that have been around "forever."
--

~ Lauren Bacall

David Diamond

What is Fusion?  I’ve heard of JAWS of course and zoomtext, but have no idea how Fusion works. 

Brian:

Curtis

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:29 AM, Alan Lemly wrote:
But unless you are currently using Fusion, I’d suggest you not comment on how well Fusion functions based on what others have said.
-
Alan, all due respect, but "what others have said" is all any of us have to go on in many of these topics.

I get what it is you're saying, but it was the lack of clarity on exactly what Fusion is, and is not, putting on the desktop that, in my opinion, started all this.  If I only commented on things I'm absolutely up-to-the-moment current with rather than basing much on years of experience (though not with Fusion) I'd be able to comment on very little.  Body of knowledge should, and does, count for something, particularly when the thing under discussion has some very static features that have been around "forever."
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Curtis and Brian,

I have great respect for the many helpful posts you’ve both contributed on this and other lists. But unless you are currently using Fusion, I’d suggest you not comment on how well Fusion functions based on what others have said. With Fusion 2020, I have access to both magnification and the full set of JAWS commands. One running Fusion can certainly close it down and run JAWS or ZoomText independently. I find that iTunes for Windows seems more accessible with ZoomText for the activities I do with it so I will close Fusion and run ZoomText before opening iTunes.,

Alan Lemly

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 10:02 AM

Brian:

Curtis

-

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Hi Ann,

I'm running Fusion 2020 and it definitely installed icons on my desktop for
Fusion, ZoomText, and JAWS. I assume your student can activate JAWS but I've
never used Tandem so I can't comment on that.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 7:49 AM
Subject: Jaws and fusion?

I will be working with a student who is running fusion with zoomText. Does
the fusion install place a JAWS icon on her desktop? Can she activate JAWS
so we can use tandem?

Thx,

Ann