moderated Caps lock as Jaws key


ann
 

Hi folks,


It's been a long time since i needed to play with this, but wasn't there an option to use the Caps Lock key as the Jaws key in the basic options settings? I'd like to turn on the Caps Lock as the Jaws key in my default desktop keyboard layout. I know I can probably go through Keyboard manager to set this, but I thought there was a faster way. Looks like that has been removed in the latest versions of Jaws


Thanks,

~Ann


Hareth
 

Hi Ann,
steps:
press insert plus 6 in the number row followed by
insert plus shift plus d for default to all applications
go to "keyboard in the treeview to find the jaws key toggle, change it
with the space bar.
you have 3 choices insert, scroll lock and caps lock for a jaws key.
tab to OK press it and close and save your changes.
Good luck

On 7/18/22, ann <tate886@...> wrote:
Hi folks,


It's been a long time since i needed to play with this, but wasn't there
an option to use the Caps Lock key as the Jaws key in the basic options
settings? I'd like to turn on the Caps Lock as the Jaws key in my
default desktop keyboard layout. I know I can probably go through
Keyboard manager to set this, but I thought there was a faster way.
Looks like that has been removed in the latest versions of Jaws


Thanks,

~Ann







Gene Warner
 

There is, however it does change the way some keys work.

1. Press insert+J to open the JAWS context menu.
2. Go to Options, then to Basic options.
3. Tab down to keyboard layout.
4. Change it to laptop.
5. Press Enter or Tab down to the OK button, then press Enter.

Caps lock will now act as your JAWS key.

I hope that helps.
Gene...

On 7/18/2022 6:06 AM, Hareth wrote:
Hi Ann,
steps:
press insert plus 6 in the number row followed by
insert plus shift plus d for default to all applications
go to "keyboard in the treeview to find the jaws key toggle, change it
with the space bar.
you have 3 choices insert, scroll lock and caps lock for a jaws key.
tab to OK press it and close and save your changes.
Good luck
On 7/18/22, ann <tate886@...> wrote:
Hi folks,


It's been a long time since i needed to play with this, but wasn't there
an option to use the Caps Lock key as the Jaws key in the basic options
settings? I'd like to turn on the Caps Lock as the Jaws key in my
default desktop keyboard layout. I know I can probably go through
Keyboard manager to set this, but I thought there was a faster way.
Looks like that has been removed in the latest versions of Jaws


Thanks,

~Ann







Mike Pietruk
 

Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?


Michael Hunsaker
 

You quickly hit CAPSLOCK twice to activate it as CAPS LOCK. Otherwise it is
the JAWS key

Best

Ryan

Michael Ryan Hunsaker, M.Ed., Ph.D. (he/him)

NLS-LOC Certified Literary UEB Tranbscriber
NVDA Certified Expert
JAWS 2022 Certified

Teacher for Students with Visual Impairments
Davis School District

CONTACT
I will reply to communication between the hours of 7:15-15:00pm MST

Voice/Text
Office +1 (801) 402-5955
Google Voice +1 (385) 645-7021
(text message or call and leave a voicemail, and I will return your call
ASAP)
Email ryhunsaker@...
 Mailing Addresses
(Primary)
Davis High School
325 South Main St
Kaysville, UT 84037

(Secondary)
Fairfield Jr. High
951 Fairfield Rd
Kaysville, UT 84037

——————————————————————————
FERPA/HIPPA CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT
Please keep in mind that communications via email over the internet are not
secure. Although it is unlikely, there is a possibility that information you
include in an email can be intercepted and read by other parties besides the
person to whom it is addressed.
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely
for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has
been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply
email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited.


Gene Warner
 

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key. I myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never use it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...

On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.
However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?


Hareth
 

You still can use the caps-lock key even after assigning it as jaws
modifier key.
Just double press it quickly to enable or disable it.
TC

On 7/18/22, Mike Pietruk <pietruk@...> wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?







Hareth
 

I should of said"to turn it on and off", instead of enable and disable it.
TC

On 7/18/22, Hareth via groups.io <hareth4m@...> wrote:
You still can use the caps-lock key even after assigning it as jaws
modifier key.
Just double press it quickly to enable or disable it.
TC

On 7/18/22, Mike Pietruk <pietruk@...> wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?











Mike Pietruk
 

Gene

Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key. I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never use
it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?










Bill White
 

Hi, Mike. It doesn't complicate capitalizing something too much. If you want
all uppercase, you just press the CAPSLOCK twice quickly and twice quickly
to turn it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike
Pietruk
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 8:29 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key

Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?


K0LNY
 

Mike,
I don't think it is a stupid question.
I know that there are people on this list who refuse to use laptop layout
because they think they would lose the caps lock function.
So your question may have helped some here.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Gene

Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!



On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key. I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never
use
it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?










Mike Pietruk
 

Glenn

Thanks for your perspective. Hopefully, then the question assisted some
laptop users.

The reason, in retrospect, that I considered my question "stupid" is that
I forgot that, for normally capitalizing things, is that, of course, we
all use the shift key, not the capslock.
That makes the use of the capslock relatively infrequent.
And, that infrequency, is my JAWS uses that key as an alternate.


K0LNY
 

I dare say that the caps lock key unmodified is often problematic for many.
Often passwords don't get entered correctly because people don't realize the
caps lock is on.
I think that it is more of a problem for the sighted though, because we
screenreader users get a higher pitched TTS when letters are capitalized.
But sighted or not, I think it is a better way, to have to double tap the
caps lock key to invoke that action, since we rarely type in all caps.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Glenn

Thanks for your perspective. Hopefully, then the question assisted some
laptop users.

The reason, in retrospect, that I considered my question "stupid" is that
I forgot that, for normally capitalizing things, is that, of course, we
all use the shift key, not the capslock.
That makes the use of the capslock relatively infrequent.
And, that infrequency, is my JAWS uses that key as an alternate.


Gene Warner
 

The only stupid question is the question that isn't asked.

Gene...

On 7/18/2022 12:43 PM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Gene
Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!
On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key. I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never use
it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?










Gene Warner
 

I don't stick to the desktop layout not because I'm afraid of loosing caps lock, I stick to it because it's what I'm used to. And since my laptop keyboard has a physical numeric key pad and a dedicated insert key, it doesn't bother me there either.

Gene...

On 7/18/2022 12:53 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Mike,
I don't think it is a stupid question.
I know that there are people on this list who refuse to use laptop layout
because they think they would lose the caps lock function.
So your question may have helped some here.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key
Gene
Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!
On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key. I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never
use
it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?










K0LNY
 

Yeah, even with my laptop layout with my desktop keyboard, I use the number
pad extensively as well.
But I don't know of any loss of functionality I notice from using laptop
layout on a desktop keyboard.
For me, it is a win/win, the best of options.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Warner" <genewarner3@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


I don't stick to the desktop layout not because I'm afraid of loosing
caps lock, I stick to it because it's what I'm used to. And since my
laptop keyboard has a physical numeric key pad and a dedicated insert
key, it doesn't bother me there either.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 12:53 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Mike,
I don't think it is a stupid question.
I know that there are people on this list who refuse to use laptop layout
because they think they would lose the caps lock function.
So your question may have helped some here.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Gene

Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!



On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key.
I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never
use
it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?


















Gene Warner
 

Unless you want to shout something, in internet speak that's what all caps means.

Gene...

On 7/18/2022 1:39 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I dare say that the caps lock key unmodified is often problematic for many.
Often passwords don't get entered correctly because people don't realize the
caps lock is on.
I think that it is more of a problem for the sighted though, because we
screenreader users get a higher pitched TTS when letters are capitalized.
But sighted or not, I think it is a better way, to have to double tap the
caps lock key to invoke that action, since we rarely type in all caps.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key
Glenn
Thanks for your perspective. Hopefully, then the question assisted some
laptop users.
The reason, in retrospect, that I considered my question "stupid" is that
I forgot that, for normally capitalizing things, is that, of course, we
all use the shift key, not the capslock.
That makes the use of the capslock relatively infrequent.
And, that infrequency, is my JAWS uses that key as an alternate.


K0LNY
 

LOL,
I know, sometimes people shout on-line without realizing it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Warner" <genewarner3@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Unless you want to shout something, in internet speak that's what all
caps means.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 1:39 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I dare say that the caps lock key unmodified is often problematic for
many.
Often passwords don't get entered correctly because people don't realize
the
caps lock is on.
I think that it is more of a problem for the sighted though, because we
screenreader users get a higher pitched TTS when letters are capitalized.
But sighted or not, I think it is a better way, to have to double tap the
caps lock key to invoke that action, since we rarely type in all caps.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Glenn

Thanks for your perspective. Hopefully, then the question assisted some
laptop users.

The reason, in retrospect, that I considered my question "stupid" is that
I forgot that, for normally capitalizing things, is that, of course, we
all use the shift key, not the capslock.
That makes the use of the capslock relatively infrequent.
And, that infrequency, is my JAWS uses that key as an alternate.












Gene Warner
 

Because the laptop layout is slightly different from the desktop layout, I'd have to relearn where some JAWS functions are and I'm not ready to do that.

Gene...

On 7/18/2022 2:44 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Yeah, even with my laptop layout with my desktop keyboard, I use the number
pad extensively as well.
But I don't know of any loss of functionality I notice from using laptop
layout on a desktop keyboard.
For me, it is a win/win, the best of options.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Warner" <genewarner3@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key
I don't stick to the desktop layout not because I'm afraid of loosing
caps lock, I stick to it because it's what I'm used to. And since my
laptop keyboard has a physical numeric key pad and a dedicated insert
key, it doesn't bother me there either.
Gene...
On 7/18/2022 12:53 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Mike,
I don't think it is a stupid question.
I know that there are people on this list who refuse to use laptop layout
because they think they would lose the caps lock function.
So your question may have helped some here.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Gene

Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!



On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key.
I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I never
use
it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I missing
something?


















Madison Martin
 

Okay, on the subject of keyboard layouts is it possible to get a keyboard without a numberpad that still has dedicated home, end and insert keys? A key on my laptop keyboard broke and another one is cracked and since it doesn't look like we can get replacement keys or a whole new keyboard it looks like I'm going to have to get a Bluetooth keyboard.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Warner
Sent: July 18, 2022 1:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key

Because the laptop layout is slightly different from the desktop layout, I'd have to relearn where some JAWS functions are and I'm not ready to do that.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 2:44 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Yeah, even with my laptop layout with my desktop keyboard, I use the
number pad extensively as well.
But I don't know of any loss of functionality I notice from using
laptop layout on a desktop keyboard.
For me, it is a win/win, the best of options.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Warner" <genewarner3@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


I don't stick to the desktop layout not because I'm afraid of loosing
caps lock, I stick to it because it's what I'm used to. And since my
laptop keyboard has a physical numeric key pad and a dedicated insert
key, it doesn't bother me there either.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 12:53 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Mike,
I don't think it is a stupid question.
I know that there are people on this list who refuse to use laptop
layout because they think they would lose the caps lock function.
So your question may have helped some here.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Caps lock as Jaws key


Gene

Great point! I quite obviously wasn't thinking about how we normally
capitalize things <grin>!!
Running back into a cave embarrassed for asking a stupid question!



On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Gene Warner wrote:

Unless you want to capitalize everything, most people use the shift key.
I
myself do a registry edit that disables the caps lock key because I
never use it unless I hit it accidentally and I've never missed it.

Gene...


On 7/18/2022 11:29 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Handwise, it sounds convenient using the caps key as the JAWS key.

However, doesn't this complicate capitalizing things? or am I
missing something?