moderated Scanners for convenient OCR and Open Book

Gene Warner

Hi everyone!

I currently have a color photo scanner, I believe that I could get better OCR results if I switched to a scanner designed primarily for scanning documents. Can anyone recommend one? I wouldn't mind a document feeder, but it doesn't need to be one that can hold a ton of pages, if it can hold and feed 10 pages, that would be plenty for my needs.

Thanks!
Gene...

Feliciano G

I always recommend Epson printer/scanners because of their ease of use and accessible utility with scanning and creating PDFs.

Feliciano
For tech tips and updates:
LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.instagram/TheBlindMan12v
those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Steve Jobs

On Jul 7, 2022, at 9:37 AM, Gene Warner <genewarner3@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I currently have a color photo scanner, I believe that I could get better OCR results if I switched to a scanner designed primarily for scanning documents. Can anyone recommend one? I wouldn't mind a document feeder, but it doesn't need to be one that can hold a ton of pages, if it can hold and feed 10 pages, that would be plenty for my needs.

Thanks!
Gene...

Gene Warner

Hi Feliciano!

Thanks for the recommendation! I should have also said that I am looking for just a scanner, not one of these all-in-one devices because I have a printer that I am happy with.

Gene...

On 7/7/2022 12:39 PM, Feliciano G wrote:
[...]

K0LNY

Hi Gene,
I don't know if one made for documents would give you better results, as it
is more a factor of the resolution, which you can change in the scanner's
software.
I've had good luck with my color scanners, one is a cannon scanner and the
other is a all-in one printer scanner.
The all in one I have now wirelessly connects to my router and is in the
network, but is a pain if I have a lot to scan, going back and forth from
one room to another.
The one I had before wasn't meant for a network, but I connected it to my
router and found it in the network and made it work.
I'm not even sure if they make any any more that don't do color.
Glenn

I currently have a color photo scanner, I believe that I could get
better OCR results if I switched to a scanner designed primarily for
scanning documents. Can anyone recommend one? I wouldn't mind a document
feeder, but it doesn't need to be one that can hold a ton of pages, if
it can hold and feed 10 pages, that would be plenty for my needs.

Thanks!
Gene...

Don H

I have a Epson Perfection V39 scanner that is powered through the USB connection. Does a great job for all scanning needs. Don't know if this model is still available but sure one similar.

Gene Warner

Hi Glenn!

The problem is that I don't see any such controls for scanner resolution or color mode or anything else in either JAWS or Open Book. That is why I am thinking that a scanner designed to scan documents instead of photos or for general purpose would work better. My scanner allows me to set up scanning profiles with all of settings preset and can even define one profile as the default profile, but no matter how I set it, I get the same results, which makes me think that both programs bypass the scanner's profiles.

Gene...

On 7/7/2022 12:46 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
[...]

Maybe they use the settings in Windows Fax and Scan settings.

I currently have a color photo scanner, I believe that I could get
better OCR results if I switched to a scanner designed primarily for
scanning documents. Can anyone recommend one? I wouldn't mind a document
feeder, but it doesn't need to be one that can hold a ton of pages, if
it can hold and feed 10 pages, that would be plenty for my needs.

Thanks!
Gene...

Michael Munn

Hi there, Freedom Scientific have a Portable Camera called Pearl that is easy to carry and you can scan more than one page at a time
The camera also support convenience OCR with Jaws. They are currently selling it at a price of $200 during Summer Specials
If you are interested, you can visit freedomscientific.com for more information.
Thanks
Best regards
Michael H. Munn

Maybe they use the settings in Windows Fax and Scan settings.

I currently have a color photo scanner, I believe that I could get
better OCR results if I switched to a scanner designed primarily for
scanning documents. Can anyone recommend one? I wouldn't mind a document
feeder, but it doesn't need to be one that can hold a ton of pages, if
it can hold and feed 10 pages, that would be plenty for my needs.

Thanks!
Gene...

K0LNY

They aren't really much more portable than a USB flatbed scanner.
My USB Cannon isn't much bigger than a legal size piece of paper, thicker of
course, but it is light, and I've seen the Pearl, by the time you get it
folded up, it's still a bag to carry.
And when set up, it takes up as much room on a desk as a flatbed, except
that when you aren't scanning with it, you can put stuff on the desk where
the paper will go when you are using it.
Plus, it's only good for documents, it might be difficult to get an 8 by 10
photo all in the picture with the Pearl.
For that matter, you can hold a smart phone over the document and use an app
to read it too, or just take the picture and copy it out as a JPG and scan
it later.
So I think the best options are a flatbed scanner, or a phone.
I use Seeing AI, and it does fantastic at reading things.
It is a free app.
Glenn

Maybe they use the settings in Windows Fax and Scan settings.

I currently have a color photo scanner, I believe that I could get
better OCR results if I switched to a scanner designed primarily for
scanning documents. Can anyone recommend one? I wouldn't mind a document
feeder, but it doesn't need to be one that can hold a ton of pages, if
it can hold and feed 10 pages, that would be plenty for my needs.

Thanks!
Gene...

Gene Warner

I have one and I agree that it works well, because it is a federal crime to open mail not addressed to you I like to scan my mail before opening it. It's also a good way to spot junk mail without opening it first. The Pearl wont read through the cellophane they put in the opening on windowed envelopes, so I went back to my flat bed scanner.

Gene...

On 7/7/2022 5:11 PM, Michael Munn wrote:
[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi,

I picked up a CanoScan LiDE 300 flatbed scanner for under 60 bucks from eBay, and it works great! It is a little bit heavier than its predecessors, however all things become equal with the quality.