moderated Microsoft default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR

Loy

There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

Hi Loy!

From my experience, Freedom Scientific doesn't always use the best OCR engines, I am not sure what OCR engine is used if you leave this turned off, but I have found that it is often dependent on the document you are scanning as to which engine is the best to use, the JAWS default, or the Microsoft engine. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, sorry.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 1:07 PM, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

dennis

i would just do a quick test with both and see wich one works best for you.

On 7/5/2022 12:43 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
Hi Loy!

From my experience, Freedom Scientific doesn't always use the best OCR engines, I am not sure what OCR engine is used if you leave this turned off, but I have found that it is often dependent on the document you are scanning as to which engine is the best to use, the JAWS default, or the Microsoft engine. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, sorry.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 1:07 PM, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

Avast logo

Gene Warner

That's usually what I do, if I don't like the OCR results I'm getting, I'll go switch that setting and see if I get better results. Then I'll just leave it set that way until I don't like the results again.

Probably the best thing that can be said about the Microsoft engine is that since it is a part of Windows, it will get updated by Microsoft as needed. Whatever engine JAWS defaults to might get updated, but those updates won't get into JAWS until Freedom Scientific decides to update their license, which doesn't happen any where often enough.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 1:46 PM, dennis wrote:
i would just do a quick test with both and see wich one works best for you.
On 7/5/2022 12:43 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
Hi Loy!

From my experience, Freedom Scientific doesn't always use the best OCR engines, I am not sure what OCR engine is used if you leave this turned off, but I have found that it is often dependent on the document you are scanning as to which engine is the best to use, the JAWS default, or the Microsoft engine. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, sorry.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 1:07 PM, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Chris Hill

Jaws is using omnipage, likely a lot better than anything MS includes for free.

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:

There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

Maybe so, but I've gotten pure garbage from the JAWS default engine but got decent results from the same document from the Microsoft engine.

And then again I've also gotten garbage from Microsoft's engine and got good results from the default engine.

So I prefer to think that it depends on what you are scanning.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

K0LNY

Curious,
I wonder if simply the act of switching straightens out the OCR process.
So if someone has poor results, you could try switching to Microsoft's
engine, but don't use it, and switch back to FS's engine, and see if it
works better.
Or scan with Microsoft's, and then go back to the FS engine and see if it
starts working right on the same file.

Glenn

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

I don't know as I usually don't have time or inclination to fool around with it. I usually just use Open Book for all my OCR work, it uses the Abby Fine Reader engine and of the three engines, it consistently gets the best results.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

K0LNY

I have found that OB does a better job than the convenient OCR.

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

The one thing I'd like to see FS do is to allow OB to use JAWS instead of its own TTS voice, it's annoying to have to adjust two voices when it could all be done with JAWS.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

Joseph Machise

I find ABBY is good with Kurzweil maybe other readers use it also.

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

Mike B.

Hi Gene,

Here are steps on using Jaws Eloquence for Openbook:
These are steps on how you can turn sleep mode off or make any other changes in the Settings Center for any program installed on your computer without
the particular / target program running.  Below are steps using Openbook & turning off sleep mode as an example.  When you shift + tab into
the application list & find the application you want, you need to tab 1 time
into the Settings Center for that application.  Pressing enter on the
application closes the Settings Center.  So, here is how I accessed the
Openbook Settings Center:
1. While in Outlook Express I pressed Insert key + 6, on the number row
above the main keyboard to open the Outlook Express Settings Center.
2. I invoked the keystroke, shift + tab, to get into the application list.
3. I pressed the letter O, until I had Openbook highlighted.
4. I tabbed 1 time into the Openbook Settings Center.
5. I Typed, sleep, into the search edit field & waited a few seconds for the
list to populate & arrowed down to Sleep Mode ..... miscellaneous, & pressed enter.
6. Now, right here the spacebar needs to be pressed to toggle the options until Jaws reports, sleep mode Disable.
7. Tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press the spacebar to save your changes & close.
8. Now start, Openbook, & press, Control + F5 to temporarily ttoggle speech off in Openbook.  The, Control + F5, keystroke is a toggle, so you can invoke
this keystroke to turn speech back on.  With speech off Jaws will now be your screenreading program.  If you want to make your change permanent, you need
to go into Openbook's settings with the keystroke, Alt + G, arrow up / down to, Save the Settings, press enter, tab to the, Okay button, press enter, &
press enter on the, Yes, option of the dialogue that comes up.  If you don't save the settings, your prior Openbook's default settings will be used the
next time you start Openbook, but Jaws will also be enabled.  So, you need to put Jaws back into Sleep Mode by following steps 1 thru 7 from above, but
the following option in step #6, needs to be changed to, Sleep Mode Enabled & Unload the Synthesizer.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
The one thing I'd like to see FS do is to allow OB to use JAWS instead
of its own TTS voice, it's annoying to have to adjust two voices when it
could all be done with JAWS.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 2:53 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
> I have found that OB does a better job than the convenient OCR.

Bill White

Hi, Chris. The fact that Vispero gives us a choice between omnipage and the Microsoft OCR engine shows that at least at times, the Microsoft OCR engine may give better results. If this were not the case, Vispero would have no reason to include both OCR engines.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:

There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one that comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

Thank you! I didn't know you could turn off Open Book's TTS voice! (Runs off to play in the settings center)

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 3:16 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Gene,
Here are steps on using Jaws Eloquence for Openbook:
These are steps on how you can turn sleep mode off or make any other changes in the Settings Center for any program installed on your computer without
the particular / target program running.  Below are steps using Openbook & turning off sleep mode as an example.  When you shift + tab into
the application list & find the application you want, you need to tab 1 time
into the Settings Center for that application.  Pressing enter on the
application closes the Settings Center.  So, here is how I accessed the
Openbook Settings Center:
1. While in Outlook Express I pressed Insert key + 6, on the number row
above the main keyboard to open the Outlook Express Settings Center.
2. I invoked the keystroke, shift + tab, to get into the application list.
3. I pressed the letter O, until I had Openbook highlighted.
4. I tabbed 1 time into the Openbook Settings Center.
5. I Typed, sleep, into the search edit field & waited a few seconds for the
list to populate & arrowed down to Sleep Mode ..... miscellaneous, & pressed enter.
6. Now, right here the spacebar needs to be pressed to toggle the options until Jaws reports, sleep mode Disable.
7. Tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press the spacebar to save your changes & close.
8. Now start, Openbook, & press, Control + F5 to temporarily ttoggle speech off in Openbook.  The, Control + F5, keystroke is a toggle, so you can invoke
this keystroke to turn speech back on.  With speech off Jaws will now be your screenreading program.  If you want to make your change permanent, you need
to go into Openbook's settings with the keystroke, Alt + G, arrow up / down to, Save the Settings, press enter, tab to the, Okay button, press enter, &
press enter on the, Yes, option of the dialogue that comes up.  If you don't save the settings, your prior Openbook's default settings will be used the
next time you start Openbook, but Jaws will also be enabled.  So, you need to put Jaws back into Sleep Mode by following steps 1 thru 7 from above, but
the following option in step #6, needs to be changed to, Sleep Mode Enabled & Unload the Synthesizer.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
PSA Folks: You can still get gas for under a dollar fifty at Taco Bell!
The one thing I'd like to see FS do is to allow OB to use JAWS instead
of its own TTS voice, it's annoying to have to adjust two voices when it
could all be done with JAWS.
Gene...
On 7/5/2022 2:53 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
> I have found that OB does a better job than the convenient OCR.

Gene Warner

I wish they'd just use the ABBY Fine Reader engine for JAWS as well as Open Book.

Gene...

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>
On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine
with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than  the one
that comes with JAWS?

Bill White

Hi, Gene. They may not be licenced to use ABBY Fine Reader for both, and may need to pay to have both licences.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:

There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine
with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one
that comes with JAWS?

K0LNY

What happens in OB if you turn off speech?

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

Hi Bill!

I realize that, they are paying Nuance for Omni Page, just quit paying Nuance and start paying ABBY for Fine Reader.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:

There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine
with JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one
that comes with JAWS?

Gene Warner

I guess that it stops loading its own copy of Eloquence and ulets your screen reader handle it. It works, I just finished making the changes to both programs.

Gene...

On 7/5/2022 12:07, Loy wrote:
There is an option in JAWS to use Microsoft's default OCR engine with
JAWS convenient OCR. Is it a better OCR engine than the one that
comes with JAWS?

mike mcglashon

Hi guys:

I have been following this thread, and,
My question is,
How does one change ocr's on the fly?
Or can we?
How do we know which one we are using at the time of ocr on files?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon
Email: Michael.mcglashon@...