From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@...>
To: <jfw@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 8:56 AM
Subject: Firefox 102

Right now, I'd say it is a don't download. The applications key doesn't
seem to work with jaws running, and neither do keys like the k for
play/stop in youtube. Applications key works fine in NVDA, go figure.

CH

Curtis Chong

Agreed. Firefox broke something in terms of interacting with JAWS.

Right now, I'd say it is a don't download. The applications key doesn't
seem to work with jaws running, and neither do keys like the k for
play/stop in youtube. Applications key works fine in NVDA, go figure.

CH

Curtis Chong

Sorry. Wrong email. Firefox is not the browser to be using these days. You should switch to Chrome or Edge Chromium. Both of these behave pretty much the same as Firefox without breaking things for the blind.

Right now, I'd say it is a don't download. The applications key doesn't
seem to work with jaws running, and neither do keys like the k for
play/stop in youtube. Applications key works fine in NVDA, go figure.

CH

Gene Warner

I second that motion. I tried Firefox several years ago when Microsoft was still supporting Internet Explorer and found that JAWS' support for it wasn't very good compared to how well it supported IE.

I still think that JAWS hasn't supported any other browser as well as it did IE.

Gene...

Sorry. Wrong email. Firefox is not the browser to be using these days. You should switch to Chrome or Edge Chromium. Both of these behave pretty much the same as Firefox without breaking things for the blind.
Right now, I'd say it is a don't download. The applications key doesn't
seem to work with jaws running, and neither do keys like the k for
play/stop in youtube. Applications key works fine in NVDA, go figure.
CH

Chris Hill

Not the same as firefox at all.  This is actually the first major problem I've had with firefox in several years of use.  Its main advantages are: easier to get to my bookmarks, menu interface more like windows and less like a dog's breakfast, and the facebook container plug-in, which is nice for keeping facebook from knowing every website you visit on the web.  If I had to use a chromium browser full-time, I'd use brave as much as I could.  I do use chrome for a few things, but they can't fix a poor design.

On 6/29/2022 22:18, Curtis Chong wrote:
Sorry. Wrong email. Firefox is not the browser to be using these days. You should switch to Chrome or Edge Chromium. Both of these behave pretty much the same as Firefox without breaking things for the blind.

Right now, I'd say it is a don't download. The applications key doesn't
seem to work with jaws running, and neither do keys like the k for
play/stop in youtube. Applications key works fine in NVDA, go figure.

CH

JM Casey

I've used Firefox for years and years, since my Windows XP days.
There were times when it's been a bit slow to load pages, which I think actually has a lot to do witht eh screen-reader trying to load things into a virtual buffer.
Can't have a huge number of tabs open at once compared with chromium browsers.
But Firefox is way, way better for privacy than anything chromium. And as my friend, a much more knowledgeable coder/developer than i will ever be, explained to me the otehr day, the way chrome and some of its chromium derivatives work will soon stop ad-blockers from working. That is inttolerable for me, so, I expect I'll be leaning more heavily on Firefox even than I am now, and just using chrome for youtube and other google products, where it seems, unsurprisingly, to be way m ore efficient.

Right now, I'd say it is a don't download. The applications key
doesn't seem to work with jaws running, and neither do keys like the k
for play/stop in youtube. Applications key works fine in NVDA, go figure.

CH

JM Casey

I'm using Firefox 102.0, 6b bit, as I type this, running a rather old version of JAWS, and it's working great.
So if something is broken, perhaps it's a recent JAWS update.