moderated Getting JAWS to say cut, copied, and pasted

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 01:58 AM 6/29/2022, Bill White wrote:
. Arrow down once to have JAWS read which verbosity setting is
active. It should be either Beginner, or Intermediate.
5. If it is set to Advanced, press SPACE once or twice to select
either Beginner or Intermediate.
6. If Speech Verbocity is set to Advanced, it will not say Cut,
Copied, or Pasted.
7. TAB to Apply, and press Space.
8. TAB to OK, and press SPACE.
9. If Speech Verbocity is set to Beginner, using CONTROL C to copy a
file will result in, Copied to clipboard.
10. If Speech Verbocity is set to Intermediate, using CONTROL C to
copy a file will result in, Copied.

Actually, by checking every verbosity element in the list, you can theoretically configure all verbosity levels to be identical, and you can certainly get the advanced verbosity to say "copied to clipboard". Select the Long messages radio button and OK out of the dialogue.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 236-8685
Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Gene Warner

I don't have a rebuttal, but I do have a warning and a lesson learned.

After I discovered what was causing all the problems I was having with Edge, I decided to restore all of my settings, then go into the restored configNames.ini file and remove the offending line. Then a monkey wrench got thrown into the works by JAWS itself when its import/export utility refused to import even one setting from the export file I had made just before uninstalling and reinstalling JAWS. Thankfully every Saturday I do system maintenance which includes making a backup using Backup & Restore. I recovered some of my settings from there. Now I will not trust the JAWS import/export utility for backups ever again, it almost cost me all my setting!

Gene...

On 6/29/2022 5:36 PM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Gene
Now that the list has resolved your problem, let me repost a msg I sent
earlier this month regarding restoring settings.
This approach provides a more complete back-up then the one provided by
the Jaws Program back-up option:
The folder it's all under is called, enu.
It, appropriately enough, is a folder under settings.
It's path is
C:\Users\hp envy\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2022\Settings\enu
It's a good idea to periodically back it up; and certainly before one
attempts to make modifications such as those regularly mentioned on this
and other lists.
BTW, the credit for this suggestion goes to Brian Hartgen who brought it
up in his recent Jaws Muscles course which, of course, can be purchased
through his website.
The neat thing with Brian'scourses is not only you get the audio
presentations but also transcripts in .rtf format which can be quickly
searched when you wish to review something.
They are well worth the money.
Anyway, returning to the question, back up
enu
regularly for a more complete back-up then offered by JAWS itself.
--
Now, I would be curious if anyone has a rebuttle to the suggestion offered
by Brian Hartgen.

Mike Pietruk

[...]

Hi Mike!

Nermin's message has your answer, but here it is so you don't have to go hunt for it!
--- from Nermin's message ---
if you want the settings to apply to all programmes, do the following.

1. Open Settings Centre by pressing JAWSKey+6 on the number row or selecting it using insert+F2 then going down the list till you find Settings Centre,
and press enter if you used the list method.

2. In the settings search box type "verbosity" without the quotes.

3. A list should appear containing "configure verbosity levels". Select the option by going up and down the list and pressing enter on the item.

4. once there, expand the settings using Right Arrow, which will give you the three options "beginner, Intermediate, and advanced".

5. Go to the one you're usually using, then Press the space bar. Do not use enter, it is important to press the space bar to open the configuration dialogue
for those options!

6. Locate the option that says "JAWS Message", and if it's unchecked, check it using the space bar.

7. Press OK to exit out of the configuration dialogue, then press OK again to exit the Settings Centre.

Now you should hear copied, cut, pasted, or copied selection to clipboard, depending on whether you've chosen long or short messages for your verbosity
levels.
--- end ---

Gene...

On 6/29/2022 4:19 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Gene,
So, ultimately what setting did you change / modify to return the speaking of the cut, copy paste?  Thanks much.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
PSA Folks: You can still get gas for under a dollar fifty at Taco Bell!
I am one of those people who never gives up just because I've asked for
help. So after sending my question, I continued trying to remember how
to get those messages back and eventually found it. But that doesn't
mean I don't appreciate your answer because I really do, thanks a lot!
Gene...
On 6/29/2022 2:11 AM, Nermin via groups.io wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>

> if you want the settings to apply to all programmes, do the following.
>

> 1. Open Settings Centre by pressing JAWSKey+6 on the number row or
> selecting it using insert+F2 then going down the list till you find
> Settings Centre, and press enter if you used the list method.
>
> 2. In the settings search box type "verbosity" without the quotes.
>
> 3. A list should appear containing "configure verbosity levels". Select
> the option by going up and down the list and pressing enter on the item.
>
> 4. once there, expand the settings using Right Arrow, which will give
> you the three options "beginner, Intermediate, and advanced".
>
> 5. Go to the one you're usually using, then Press the space bar. Do not
> use enter, it is important to press the space bar to open the
> configuration dialogue for those options!
>
> 6. Locate the option that says "JAWS Message", and if it's unchecked,
> check it using the space bar.
>
> 7. Press OK to exit out of the configuration dialogue, then press OK
> again to exit the Settings Centre.
>

> Now you should hear copied, cut, pasted, or copied selection to
> clipboard, depending on whether you've chosen long or short messages for
> your verbosity levels.
>

> Good luck,
>
> Nermin

Mike B.

Hi Gene,

So, ultimately what setting did you change / modify to return the speaking of the cut, copy paste?  Thanks much.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
I am one of those people who never gives up just because I've asked for
help. So after sending my question, I continued trying to remember how
to get those messages back and eventually found it. But that doesn't
mean I don't appreciate your answer because I really do, thanks a lot!

Gene...

On 6/29/2022 2:11 AM, Nermin via groups.io wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>

> if you want the settings to apply to all programmes, do the following.
>

> 1. Open Settings Centre by pressing JAWSKey+6 on the number row or
> selecting it using insert+F2 then going down the list till you find
> Settings Centre, and press enter if you used the list method.
>
> 2. In the settings search box type "verbosity" without the quotes.
>
> 3. A list should appear containing "configure verbosity levels". Select
> the option by going up and down the list and pressing enter on the item.
>
> 4. once there, expand the settings using Right Arrow, which will give
> you the three options "beginner, Intermediate, and advanced".
>
> 5. Go to the one you're usually using, then Press the space bar. Do not
> use enter, it is important to press the space bar to open the
> configuration dialogue for those options!
>
> 6. Locate the option that says "JAWS Message", and if it's unchecked,
> check it using the space bar.
>
> 7. Press OK to exit out of the configuration dialogue, then press OK
> again to exit the Settings Centre.
>

> Now you should hear copied, cut, pasted, or copied selection to
> clipboard, depending on whether you've chosen long or short messages for
> your verbosity levels.
>

> Good luck,
>
> Nermin

Gene Warner

Hi Bill!

I am one of those people who never gives up just because I've asked for help. So after sending my question, I continued trying to remember how to get those
messages back and eventually found it. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate your answer because I really do, thanks a lot!

Gene...

On 6/29/2022 1:58 AM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Gene. How are you reaching Speech Verbocity? Try this.
1. Open JAWS Settings Center with JAWS Key plus six on the numbers row.
2. Press CONTROL plus SHIFT plus D to open the Default Configuration.
3. Arrow down to Speech Verbocity, and open with Right Arrow.
4. Arrow down once to have JAWS read which verbocity setting is active. It should be either Beginner, or Intermediate.
5. If it is set to Advanced, press SPACE once or twice to select either Beginner or Intermediate.
6. If Speech Verbocity is set to Advanced, it will not say Cut, Copied, or Pasted.
7. TAB to Apply, and press Space.
8. TAB to OK, and press SPACE.
9. If Speech Verbocity is set to Beginner, using CONTROL C to copy a file will result in, Copied to clipboard.
10. If Speech Verbocity is set to Intermediate, using CONTROL C to copy a file will result in, Copied.
Bill White
billwhite92701@...