moderated Word Processors that Work with JAWS

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. I have another question. I might have a lot for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm also just looking for a good way to read a book I just got, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

If you have Windows, you have Wordpad, and you should be able to open and read your ebook in that. To tell the truth, even though I have Word, I often just use Wordpad, or even Notepad, for most of my writing. Wordpad is good enough for most of your basic everyday word processing needs unless you are working in an office or educational environment that requires specific formats.

Don't forget Jaws has it's own built-in word processor that will also let you read your ebook: FS Reader should also let you do many of the things you need.

There are also some other free and open source editors and ebook reading programs you can find by doing web searches.

Kestrell

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 1:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Word Processors that Work with JAWS

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. I have another question. I might have a lot for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm also just looking for a good way to read a book I just got, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

Karen Reynolds

I don't remember what they are, but there used to be programs that would convert docx files to things like rtf and txt. The issue is losing the formatting.

Most of the time I use notepad. I keep forgetting about wordpad. The rest of the time I use Word. Notepad doesn't seem to do things like hard returns for a new page. I've only recently been able to get it to indent.

Karen

K0LNY

I'm not sure if it works with MS word files, but another good free one is
notepad ++.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: Word Processors that Work with JAWS

I don't remember what they are, but there used to be programs that would
convert docx files to things like rtf and txt. The issue is losing the
formatting.

Most of the time I use notepad. I keep forgetting about wordpad. The rest of
the time I use Word. Notepad doesn't seem to do things like hard returns for
a new page. I've only recently been able to get it to indent.

Karen

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. I have another
question. I might have a lot for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works
well with JAWS, but I can't really justify the expense, especially since I
don't do a lot of work with documents. I might need to in the future,
though. What are some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With
NVDA, I used Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are
there others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but
I'm also just looking for a good way to read a book I just got, which comes
in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

If you're just writing short notes or grocery lists, Notepad is the way to go but, yes, it will not maintain your formatting the way Wordpad will.

My advice is to try to learn as much using Wordpad so that you can get used to implementing and keeping as much formatting as possible. It doesn't do everything Word does, but it gets the job done. You can still do most things, such as creating headings and using bulleted lists.

I've also used Notepad for writing the HTML for my webpages.

Kestrell

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Reynolds
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 3:53 PM

I don't remember what they are, but there used to be programs that would convert docx files to things like rtf and txt. The issue is losing the formatting.

Most of the time I use notepad. I keep forgetting about wordpad. The rest of the time I use Word. Notepad doesn't seem to do things like hard returns for a new page. I've only recently been able to get it to indent.

Karen

Gerald Levy

Even better than Wordpad is the free Jarte word processor which is based on Wordpad, but adds other features like a spell checker:

https://www.jarte.com/download.html

Gerald

On 6/11/2022 3:40 PM, Kestrel Verlager wrote:

If you have Windows, you have Wordpad, and you should be able to open and read your ebook in that. To tell the truth, even though I have Word, I often just use Wordpad, or even Notepad, for most of my writing. Wordpad is good enough for most of your basic everyday word processing needs unless you are working in an office or educational environment that requires specific formats.

Don't forget Jaws has it's own built-in word processor that will also let you read your ebook: FS Reader should also let you do many of the things you need.

There are also some other free and open source editors and ebook reading programs you can find by doing web searches.

Kestrell  

If you are looking for ebooks suitable for beginners who want to learn word processing, I recommend the National Braill Press. Their website is https://www.nbp.org .

Even though they sell books in hard copy braille, they also produce their ebooks in electronic braille, Daisy, Word, and available as downloads or to be snail mailed to you on thumb drives. The books which talk about word processing using Word should mostly work with Wordpad: Wordpad doesn't have the ribbons that Word does, but I consider that a plus, and most of the keyboard commands work across both word processors.

Kestrell

Tyler Wood

Hi,
Have you considered Microsoft 365? (I believe this used to be referred to as Office 365). It includes Microsoft word, outlook, one drive, excel, etc. This would make it far cheaper than buying Microsoft office outright and give you the added benefit of more one drive storage (I believe 1 tb) should you ever decide that would be something that would interest you. This could, in theory, allow you to back up all your important documents, downloads etc.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kestrel Verlager
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 3:12 PM

If you are looking for ebooks suitable for beginners who want to learn word processing, I recommend the National Braill Press. Their website is https://www.nbp.org .

Even though they sell books in hard copy braille, they also produce their ebooks in electronic braille, Daisy, Word, and available as downloads or to be snail mailed to you on thumb drives. The books which talk about word processing using Word should mostly work with Wordpad: Wordpad doesn't have the ribbons that Word does, but I consider that a plus, and most of the keyboard commands work across both word processors.

Kestrell

meow meow

notepad is good I use it lot

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 11:41 AM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

Hi. Yes, I've thought about it, but as someone who doesn't need to write a lot of documents, I'm not sure if it's worth the price, especially with my limited income. Thanks.

On 6/11/2022 3:19 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
Hi,
Have you considered Microsoft 365? (I believe this used to be referred to as Office 365). It includes Microsoft word, outlook, one drive, excel, etc. This would make it far cheaper than buying Microsoft office outright and give you the added benefit of more one drive storage (I believe 1 tb) should you ever decide that would be something that would interest you. This could, in theory, allow you to back up all your important documents, downloads etc.

Kestrell

Chris Hill

I never really had much trouble using jaws with Libre-office for basic stuff.  It even has or had some document conversions from really old things like windows Write, that you just don't find in most programs.

CH

On 6/11/2022 12:41, Lanie Molinar wrote:

I have Microsoft 365 because it gives me a legal copy of Windows and all its primary apps (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.), along with any updates, plus OneDrive for backing up all my files, which I can also use for syncing my computers, plus the cloud storage.

That's a great deal for $70 a year, but that's still $70 a year, which not everyone wants to pay when they already have the basic tools they need, so I wasn't thinking along the lines of anything with an additional cost when I made my suggestions.

Kestrell

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 4:20 PM

Hi,

Kestrell