From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 1:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Word Processors that Work with JAWS

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. I have another question. I might have a lot for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm also just looking for a good way to read a book I just got, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

Karen Reynolds

I don't remember what they are, but there used to be programs that would convert docx files to things like rtf and txt. The issue is losing the formatting.

Most of the time I use notepad. I keep forgetting about wordpad. The rest of the time I use Word. Notepad doesn't seem to do things like hard returns for a new page. I've only recently been able to get it to indent.

Karen

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. I have another question. I might have a lot for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm also just looking for a good way to read a book I just got, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

K0LNY

I'm not sure if it works with MS word files, but another good free one is
notepad ++.
Glenn

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. I have another
question. I might have a lot for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works
well with JAWS, but I can't really justify the expense, especially since I
don't do a lot of work with documents. I might need to in the future,
though. What are some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With
NVDA, I used Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are
there others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but
I'm also just looking for a good way to read a book I just got, which comes
in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

If you're just writing short notes or grocery lists, Notepad is the way to go but, yes, it will not maintain your formatting the way Wordpad will.

My advice is to try to learn as much using Wordpad so that you can get used to implementing and keeping as much formatting as possible. It doesn't do everything Word does, but it gets the job done. You can still do most things, such as creating headings and using bulleted lists.

I've also used Notepad for writing the HTML for my webpages.

Kestrell