moderated Verbosity, stop saying bullet?

Mark

Is there a way to make JAWS stop announcing "bullet" in lists in HTML or Word documents? Imagine a very long list with short list items. Each time it would say "bullet".   I have been searching but am stuck. In Quick Settings for Word, I found the bullet type indication setting, but that turns off JAWS saying the type of bullet, like "hollow round", but it still says bullet. I imagine some people just get used to it, but certainly it seems reasonable to give a user the option in a setting, or perhaps change it to a less intrusive sound like a soft chime.

crayton Benner <craybay3198@...>

Have you tried looking in the jaws settings center where you have the verbosity settings at? 
Kind regards,
Crayton Benner

On Jun 3, 2022, at 06:15, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Is there a way to make JAWS stop announcing "bullet" in lists in HTML or Word documents? Imagine a very long list with short list items. Each time it would say "bullet".   I have been searching but am stuck. In Quick Settings for Word, I found the bullet type indication setting, but that turns off JAWS saying the type of bullet, like "hollow round", but it still says bullet. I imagine some people just get used to it, but certainly it seems reasonable to give a user the option in a setting, or perhaps change it to a less intrusive sound like a soft chime.

Mike B.

Hi Mark,

Try the following:
Note: The apostrophy  & dollar sign are only examples.

You can change how Jaws speaks the apostrophy in the Settings Centter
default all applications by doing the following.  If you only want to change
the punctuation settings in a particular application just open the Settings
Center while in the particular application by pressing Insert + 6, on the
number row above the main keyboard to open the Settings Center for that particular application:
1. Press Insert + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard to open the
Settings Center, & press, Control, shift, + D, to open default all
applications.
2. Arrow down to, Punctuation closed & press right arrow to open.
3. Arrow down to customize punctuation & press the spacebar to open.  Don't
press enter here, if you press enter instad of the spacebar, the Settings
Center will close.
4.A. When making changes in the customize punctuation list, if you do not
want
Jaws to speak/recognize a particular punctuation mark you want to choose the
" all " selection.  You will have 4 radio buttons to arrow up or down
through.  They are none, some, most, & all.  In these selections they work
backwards than what you would think.  For example;  If you choose " none "
for the dollar sign, Jaws will speak / recognize every dollar sign in
whatever you are reading.  On the other hand, if you choose the " all "
radio button, Jaws will not speak / recognize any dollar signs.

4.B. After you pressed the spacebar on customize punctuation, you are now in
a list of punctuation marks.  Arrow down the list and when
you have the punctuation mark you want to change highlighted, tab 1 time to
the radio buttons that I mentioned earlier.
5. Keeping in mind what I mentioned earlier about these choices working
backwards, select the box in this list, in your case not wanting any
apostrophy's spoken, choose the all button.
6. Now, if you want to make a change to another punctuation mark, shift tab
back to the list and highlight a different punctuation mark, tab back to the
radio buttons and select the box you prefer.
7. After you are done making your changes tab to okay and press the
spacebar.
8. Tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press the spacebar to save
your changes & close the Settings Center.

Now, I hope that you are not as confused as I am after typing all of this.
LOL  Hope this has helped.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2022 3:15 AM
Subject: Verbosity, stop saying bullet?

K0LNY

When I encounter this and some others like it that I don't want to hear, on a web page, I use the Jaws dictionary and tell it to replace it with a space.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2022 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: Verbosity, stop saying bullet?

Have you tried looking in the jaws settings center where you have the verbosity settings at? 
Kind regards,
Crayton Benner

Mike B.

Glen,

I think what you do is what Mark will have to do because I didn't notice any bullets of any sort in the punctuation customize list.

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2022 9:16 AM

When I encounter this and some others like it that I don't want to hear, on a web page, I use the Jaws dictionary and tell it to replace it with a space.
Glenn

Kind regards,
Crayton Benner

Bill White

That opens up a stinky can of worms. What will happen if you read a sentence with the word bullet in it, and it is left out, because it was replaced with a space?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 9:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Glenn

Kind regards,

Crayton Benner

K0LNY

Well if you restrict it to the application, like a web page program, by not using control shift D, it won't affect word processors.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2022 2:38 PM

That opens up a stinky can of worms. What will happen if you read a sentence with the word bullet in it, and it is left out, because it was replaced with a space?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 9:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Glenn

Kind regards,

Crayton Benner

Mark

Mike I tried your instructions but I couldn't get it to work. In terms of using the dictionary, that did work. I associated it with a space and a click sound.  Keep in mind that you have to enter the bullet character and not the word bullet. I don't know how to describe the bullet character non-visually or how to type it. I copied it from the Speech history. 

Mike B.

Hi Mark,

After I sent the steps I went into the punctuation list and found that there was no Bullets in there.

I should have checked first but, I didn't and I'm sorry for sending you on that wild goose chase, so to speak.

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2022 7:23 PM

Mike I tried your instructions but I couldn't get it to work. In terms of using the dictionary, that did work. I associated it with a space and a click sound.  Keep in mind that you have to enter the bullet character and not the word bullet. I don't know how to describe the bullet character non-visually or how to type it. I copied it from the Speech history. 

Mark

Mike,

There is a bullet there but in the list view, it is labelled U+f0b7. I think that's some kind of unicode. Each item in the list view has the symbol, then a description, and a  Spoken column. The visual interface had the word bullet. I don't know how to get that information non-visually.  Do you know if there's a way?

And I'm alright chasing wild geese now and then. I had no idea about the punctuations settings.  I appreciate your response. It was an interesting adventure. 

Mark

Mike B.

Hi Mark,

I found several bullets in that list and it's time consuming to copy them all, but you can get the ascii or ansi code of any symbol / bullet by highlighting the symbol / bullet,
then press the, Numpad 5 key, three times quickly.  Below are some examples.

‣ = character 8227

⁌ = character 8268

⁍ = character 8269

◦ =character 9702
To copy a bullet / symbol highlight the bullet / symbol and press, Insert, shift + right arrow or left arrow, to select it and press, Control + C to copy.

I stated right or left arrow because if you're to the left of the symbol you use the right arrow and if you're to the right of the symbol you use the left arrow to select.

Here's a website with all kinds of symbols.

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2022 8:18 AM

Mike,

There is a bullet there but in the list view, it is labelled U+f0b7. I think that's some kind of unicode. Each item in the list view has the symbol, then a description, and a  Spoken column. The visual interface had the word bullet. I don't know how to get that information non-visually.  Do you know if there's a way?

And I'm alright chasing wild geese now and then. I had no idea about the punctuations settings.  I appreciate your response. It was an interesting adventure. 

Mark

I found this from an ancient overview of new features in JAWS 8.0.  I don't have JAWS on this machine to check to see if it's still accurate or not:

To disable bullet type indication, do the following:

1. Open a Word document.
  2. Press INSERT+V to open the Adjust JAWS Verbosity dialog.
  3. Use the ARROW keys to select Bullet type indication, and press SPACEBAR to turn off this item.
  4. Close the Adjust JAWS Verbosity dialog.

It also may only affect exactly how a bullet is announced, not whether a bullet is announced at all.  But it's still worth a look.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Mike B.

Hi Brian,

This is correct, but the steps are just a leetle bit off.  Here's the steps.
1. With a Word doc file open press, Insert + V, to open Jaws quick settings.

2. Down arrow to the , Formatting heading, and down arrow 1 more time and there will be,
 Bullet type indication, and press SPACEBAR to turn off this item.

3. Tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2022 11:28 AM

I found this from an ancient overview of new features in JAWS 8.0.  I don't have JAWS on this machine to check to see if it's still accurate or not:

To disable bullet type indication, do the following:

1. Open a Word document.
  2. Press INSERT+V to open the Adjust JAWS Verbosity dialog.
  3. Use the ARROW keys to select Bullet type indication, and press SPACEBAR to turn off this item.
  4. Close the Adjust JAWS Verbosity dialog.

It also may only affect exactly how a bullet is announced, not whether a bullet is announced at all.  But it's still worth a look.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Nancy Hill

I'm coming at this late, but has anyone tried/or is it possible to do an insert D on the bullet and then adjust the bullet on the side where you make the new way to 'say' bullet, just hit the space bar to make jaws say nothing at all and then enter it into the dictionary?

That is what I would try.

Good Luck,

nancy

Mark

Hi Nancy,  I think the dictionary solution is quite good. I made it have a chime rather than silence. The trick was the entry in the dictionary isn't the word "bullet" but needs to be the symbol •.  I got that symbol by going to a bulleted list, and then going to the Speech History.

Nancy Hill

Mark, it sounds like you nailed it with your ingenuity!

BTW, I figured that it would need the Bullet sign, but I didn't know where to find one.

I really enjoy tweaking my dictionary.

On 6/5/2022 7:31 AM, Mark wrote:

Hi Nancy,  I think the dictionary solution is quite good. I made it have a chime rather than silence. The trick was the entry in the dictionary isn't the word "bullet" but needs to be the symbol •.  I got that symbol by going to a bulleted list, and then going to the Speech History.