moderated Verbosity, stop saying bullet?

Mark

Is there a way to make JAWS stop announcing "bullet" in lists in HTML or Word documents? Imagine a very long list with short list items. Each time it would say "bullet".   I have been searching but am stuck. In Quick Settings for Word, I found the bullet type indication setting, but that turns off JAWS saying the type of bullet, like "hollow round", but it still says bullet. I imagine some people just get used to it, but certainly it seems reasonable to give a user the option in a setting, or perhaps change it to a less intrusive sound like a soft chime.

crayton Benner <craybay3198@...>

Have you tried looking in the jaws settings center where you have the verbosity settings at?
Kind regards,
Crayton Benner

On Jun 3, 2022, at 06:15, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Is there a way to make JAWS stop announcing "bullet" in lists in HTML or Word documents? Imagine a very long list with short list items. Each time it would say "bullet".   I have been searching but am stuck. In Quick Settings for Word, I found the bullet type indication setting, but that turns off JAWS saying the type of bullet, like "hollow round", but it still says bullet. I imagine some people just get used to it, but certainly it seems reasonable to give a user the option in a setting, or perhaps change it to a less intrusive sound like a soft chime.

Mike B.

Hi Mark,

Try the following:
Note: The apostrophy  & dollar sign are only examples.

You can change how Jaws speaks the apostrophy in the Settings Centter
default all applications by doing the following.  If you only want to change
the punctuation settings in a particular application just open the Settings
Center while in the particular application by pressing Insert + 6, on the
number row above the main keyboard to open the Settings Center for that particular application:
1. Press Insert + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard to open the
Settings Center, & press, Control, shift, + D, to open default all
applications.
2. Arrow down to, Punctuation closed & press right arrow to open.
3. Arrow down to customize punctuation & press the spacebar to open.  Don't
press enter here, if you press enter instad of the spacebar, the Settings
Center will close.
4.A. When making changes in the customize punctuation list, if you do not
want
Jaws to speak/recognize a particular punctuation mark you want to choose the
" all " selection.  You will have 4 radio buttons to arrow up or down
through.  They are none, some, most, & all.  In these selections they work
backwards than what you would think.  For example;  If you choose " none "
for the dollar sign, Jaws will speak / recognize every dollar sign in
whatever you are reading.  On the other hand, if you choose the " all "
radio button, Jaws will not speak / recognize any dollar signs.

4.B. After you pressed the spacebar on customize punctuation, you are now in
a list of punctuation marks.  Arrow down the list and when
you have the punctuation mark you want to change highlighted, tab 1 time to
the radio buttons that I mentioned earlier.
5. Keeping in mind what I mentioned earlier about these choices working
backwards, select the box in this list, in your case not wanting any
apostrophy's spoken, choose the all button.
6. Now, if you want to make a change to another punctuation mark, shift tab
back to the list and highlight a different punctuation mark, tab back to the
radio buttons and select the box you prefer.
7. After you are done making your changes tab to okay and press the
spacebar.
8. Tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press the spacebar to save
your changes & close the Settings Center.

Now, I hope that you are not as confused as I am after typing all of this.
LOL  Hope this has helped.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

Is there a way to make JAWS stop announcing "bullet" in lists in HTML or Word documents? Imagine a very long list with short list items. Each time it would say "bullet".   I have been searching but am stuck. In Quick Settings for Word, I found the bullet type indication setting, but that turns off JAWS saying the type of bullet, like "hollow round", but it still says bullet. I imagine some people just get used to it, but certainly it seems reasonable to give a user the option in a setting, or perhaps change it to a less intrusive sound like a soft chime.

K0LNY

When I encounter this and some others like it that I don't want to hear, on a web page, I use the Jaws dictionary and tell it to replace it with a space.
Glenn

Have you tried looking in the jaws settings center where you have the verbosity settings at?
Kind regards,
Crayton Benner

On Jun 3, 2022, at 06:15, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Is there a way to make JAWS stop announcing "bullet" in lists in HTML or Word documents? Imagine a very long list with short list items. Each time it would say "bullet".   I have been searching but am stuck. In Quick Settings for Word, I found the bullet type indication setting, but that turns off JAWS saying the type of bullet, like "hollow round", but it still says bullet. I imagine some people just get used to it, but certainly it seems reasonable to give a user the option in a setting, or perhaps change it to a less intrusive sound like a soft chime.

Mike B.

Glen,

I think what you do is what Mark will have to do because I didn't notice any bullets of any sort in the punctuation customize list.

[...]

Bill White

That opens up a stinky can of worms. What will happen if you read a sentence with the word bullet in it, and it is left out, because it was replaced with a space?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Well if you restrict it to the application, like a web page program, by not using control shift D, it won't affect word processors.
Glenn

[...]

Mike I tried your instructions but I couldn't get it to work. In terms of using the dictionary, that did work. I associated it with a space and a click sound.  Keep in mind that you have to enter the bullet character and not the word bullet. I don't know how to describe the bullet character non-visually or how to type it. I copied it from the Speech history.

Mike B.

Hi Mark,

After I sent the steps I went into the punctuation list and found that there was no Bullets in there.

I should have checked first but, I didn't and I'm sorry for sending you on that wild goose chase, so to speak.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.