moderated Eudora: JAWS says 'no selected item"

Ann Byrne

Accessing Eudora with JAWS 2022 most recent, the message list says 'no selected item' no matter what I do. NVDA reads the list without a problem. the JAWS cursor reads the list. The PC cursor says 'no selected item'. Usually changing the screen between restore and maximize or restarting JAWS solved this problem. Neither does. this is a fresh install of JAWS on a new computer. Eudora and JAWS 2022 don't always like each other anyway, but I have always been able to muddle through.

Yes, I know Eudora is ancient and hasn't been updated since Adam and Eve were thrown out of the Garden of Eden. I have 20 years of emails, though, and I *REALLY like the poor old program. I want a solution, please, not a lecture on why I shouldn't use this program.

Thx,

Ann

Bill White

Hi, Ann. If you press JAWS key plus SPACE, followed by the letter Z, to turn
off all custom settings, does the PC Cursor still say no selected item? If
it does not, it has to do with something which is set in JAWS, which is not
a default setting. If it still says No selected item after you press JAWS
key plus SPACE, followed by Z, it is a change in the latest version of JAWS,
and may need to be tracked down either by FS, or by going through all the
settings.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

thanks for the suggestion. It still says "no selected item".

comparing the JAWS quick settings on the old and new laptop, they are identical. the Eudora scripts are identical. The old computer reads the message list perfectly. On the new machine I can read the message list with Narrator, NVDA, and the JAWS cursor, but the PC cursor says "no selected item"..

go figure!

FS does not support Eudora, so I am hesitant to contact them about it. But not sure what else to do. I'm thinking there is some visual setting that is confusing JAWS. I did check screen resolution, and it's at the one windows says is recommended.

Ho Hum!