moderated annoying scam messages

tom x <ballistic719@...>

Hi,
Using: up to date W10 Home, 64 bit and latest Jaws.

The following announcement, along with others, has been appearing a couple of times a day for a little while and am wondering if anyone else is also receiving these annoying messages.  More importantly, what can be done about them.

Action center
Notifications from Microsoft Edge group
Clear all notifications for Microsoft Edge Button
Your Norton has Expired Today?
Renew Now For 2021
3:46 PM • en.softonic.com

Both Defender and Microsoft Malicious File Removal tool has been run but found nothing.

As for Norton's, it has never been used on this system so obviously the message is a scam.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Open Microsoft Edge. Go to the en.softonic.com website. Then Open Microsoft Edge Settings, and under Cookies and Site Permissions, block notifications from the en.softonic.com website. Do the same for any other websites that pop up with unwanted notifications.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks Bill for your quick reply.

I'll certainly try your suggestion.

Thanks

Tom

On 15/03/2022 4:41 pm, Bill White wrote:
[...]

.

tom x <ballistic719@...>

Hi Bill,

I loaded the softonic web site into Edge, opened the menu with alt F but was unable to find any mention of cookies and site permissions under any of the headings in the menu.

What am I doing wrong?

[...]

Hi, Tom. ALT plus F, followed by S is settings. In the Settings tree view, the categories are listed this way:

Settings categories Tree view
Profiles
Privacy, search, and services
Appearance
Start, home, and new tabs
Share, copy and paste
Cookies and site permissions

So Cookies and Site permissions is the sixth category down, when you're in the Settings tree view. Press ENTER on Cookies and Site Permissions. TAB over to notifications, then arrow down to Block Notifications, then add the en.softonic.com website, so that it no longer has permission to send you notifications.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi again, Tom. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. When you start Microsoft Edge, it needs to be maximized, or the Settings menu won't look the same, and will be complicated by the fact that you will need to find a "main menu" button, and press ENTER on that before you can see the full Settings menu. To avoid this, when you start Edge, Use ALT plus SPACE, then arrow up to Maximize. If it doesn't say, Maximize unavailable, press ENTER, and Edge will be maximized for that session. Now your Settings menu should look the same as it did in my last message. Just TAB once after pressing ALT plus F, followed by S, and you should see the Settings tree view. I'll also write to you privately with my phone number, in case you would like to call me and have me walk you through it. If you live in Canada, you can also reply to my private message with your phone number, and I will call you with my free calling plan to Canada.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Mike B.

An easier thing to check might be to go to Settings / System / Notifications and Actions and press enter.

Tab to, Get notifications from these senders, and if Edge is turned on you can turn it off here.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

I loaded the softonic web site into Edge, opened the menu with alt F but
was unable to find any mention of cookies and site permissions under any
of the headings in the menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Tom

On 15/03/2022 4:41 pm, Bill White wrote:
> Hi, Tom. Open Microsoft Edge. Go to the en.softonic.com website. Then Open Microsoft Edge Settings, and under Cookies and Site Permissions, block notifications from the en.softonic.com website. Do the same for any other websites that pop up with unwanted notifications.
>

> Bill White
>
> billwhite92701@...

Bill White

Hi, Mike. Most of the time, you don't want to block notifications from all websites. You just want to block sites that are giving advertisement notifications, especially if they appear to be scams. Sometimes for example, I want to be notified if videos are updated on YouTube channels to which I subscribe. Turning off all notifications would not only turn off annoying notifications, it would turn off the ones I want to receive as well.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...