moderated confusion on battary anouncements.

Shankar.C <shankar.c@...>

Dear experts, greetings.

Around 4 days back, have purchased the del 5410 laptop which is running on windows 10 with jaws 2022.

after full charge, when I press insert shift b, jaws says

Battery 100  percent, Time remaining: 1 hours and 55 minutes remaining.
My home internet access.

now the confusion is does screen reader is announcing the remaining time wrongly or that is the actual remaining time.

Chris Hill

Why would you question it it’s getting the data from windows. The number windows uses is based a lot on how hard the computer is working at the time and how bright your screen is and things like that so it’s not hard and fast from the beginning

On Feb 6, 2022, at 00:59, Shankar.C <shankar.c@...> wrote:

Dear experts, greetings.

Around 4 days back, have purchased the del 5410 laptop which is running on windows 10 with jaws 2022.

after full charge, when I press insert shift b, jaws says

Battery 100  percent, Time remaining: 1 hours and 55 minutes remaining.
My home internet access.

now the confusion is does screen reader is announcing the remaining time wrongly or that is the actual remaining time.

Bill White

Hi, Shankar. This is probably close to the true time left on the battery. This must take into account the fact that speech is running, how hard the processor is working, screen brightness, whether fans are running at the time, is music playing. If you stop using speech, if you unload some apps, etc. will change the available time on the laptop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Around 4 days back, have purchased the del 5410 laptop which is running on windows 10 with jaws 2022.

after full charge, when I press insert shift b, jaws says

Battery 100  percent, Time remaining: 1 hours and 55 minutes remaining.
My home internet access.

now the confusion is does screen reader is announcing the remaining time wrongly or that is the actual remaining time.

leonard morris

The battery report says 100% and one hour and 56 minutes remaining why is that so low for a fully charged battery laptop ? I would think it would say something like 100% 5 to 7 hours remaining on a new device like that. Am I missing something here?

On Feb 6, 2022, at 11:15 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Shankar. This is probably close to the true time left on the battery. This must take into account the fact that speech is running, how hard the processor is working, screen brightness, whether fans are running at the time, is music playing. If you stop using speech, if you unload some apps, etc. will change the available time on the laptop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Around 4 days back, have purchased the del 5410 laptop which is running on windows 10 with jaws 2022.

after full charge, when I press insert shift b, jaws says

Battery 100  percent, Time remaining: 1 hours and 55 minutes remaining.
My home internet access.

now the confusion is does screen reader is announcing the remaining time wrongly or that is the actual remaining time.

Chris Hill

The battery report is calculated looking at the current insantaneous power use of the laptop it mayhave been working hard at the time and second some laptops only last that long

On Feb 6, 2022, at 09:46, leonard morris <lmorris1953@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Pietruk

Leonard

Those numbers are very similar to what I get displayed when querying
laptops that I have used.
The way we use laptops must be very draining on the battery.
Thus, whenever possible, I run a laptop on electric power.

Shankar.C <shankar.c@...>

Bill, thanks for the brief explanation.

After posting here, went through few articles and got more clarity on the confusion.

Hi, Shankar. This is probably close to the true time left on the battery. This must take into account the fact that speech is running, how hard the processor is working, screen brightness, whether fans are running at the time, is music playing. If you stop using speech, if you unload some apps, etc. will change the available time on the laptop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Around 4 days back, have purchased the del 5410 laptop which is running on windows 10 with jaws 2022.

after full charge, when I press insert shift b, jaws says

Battery 100  percent, Time remaining: 1 hours and 55 minutes remaining.
My home internet access.

now the confusion is does screen reader is announcing the remaining time wrongly or that is the actual remaining time.

Van Lant, Robin

My business laptop battery life is always longer than the laptops I buy for home use, so I'm sure it's just a matter of the quality of the battery in your machine.

Those numbers are very similar to what I get displayed when querying laptops that I have used.
The way we use laptops must be very draining on the battery.
Thus, whenever possible, I run a laptop on electric power.

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114