moderated File and folder size

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 12:37 PM, David Kingsbury wrote:
I should add that if you are in a folder with primarily audio files like music, size is not part of the details view default for individual files.
-
Absolutely correct.  I was willing to assume we were not talking about the media libraries, which do have formats specific to the media type.  Even Photos display as thumbnails by default, though if you change them to details view you do get the size shown.

Windows does a good job as far as "presenting what most would want to know" based on what library a given thing is stored in.  Otherwise, it uses the folder settings for documents or general items.

If you open the Properties for a given folder (or library) and look at the Customize tab the first item is the "What kind of folder do you want?" dropdown which shows the various options for presentation.  Were you to want to change media files to "show like regular" you would change from audio/video to general or documents.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

I should add that if you are in a folder with primarily audio files like music, size is not part of the details view default for individual files. Things like artist, etc. will appear. You will need to change this in the add columns part of the View tab of the ribbon, assuming you are using Windows 10. In Windows 11, I assume it is in the View submenu or whatever they call it there. Again as Brian says, a bit complicated to change this.

David

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 10:34 AM, Kevin Minor wrote:
The file size won’t show up in details view if it was removed from one of the columns in the sort options.
-
Indeed, but that's not the default state, and I'd presume that someone would know if they've removed it, as it's not a simple matter to do (as it's the reverse of your instructions to add it back in).

Thanks for the instructions, though, they're useful for tweaking of whatever column or columns you want to show/hide.  And Size is indeed just Size.
--

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Kevin Minor

Hi.

The file size won’t show up in details view if it was removed from one of the columns in the sort options.

To check to see if it’s checked, in a folder in File explorer, have nothing selected.

Hit either SHIFT+F10 or the applications key.

Find the sort option in the menu, and select it.

Now go down the list of what’s available to sort by, and see if size is there. If not, select the More option.

Now, hit TAB to get to the items that can be checked. First letter navigation works here, so either look for Size, which I think it is, or File Size if it’s not, and check it.

If you want to put it in another column than the last one, you can do this in the above dialogue.

Once done, TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

If all goes well, the size of items will be there.

Hope this is helpful.

Kevin and Jilly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 10:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File and folder size

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:27 PM, David Kingsbury wrote:

If you are having a problem with files in Details view, then I don’t know what is going on.

-

Nor do I.  File Size is presented in File Explorer using Details View in every version of Windows I'm familiar with up through Windows 11.  Folders do not have sizes presented because the folder itself doesn't have a size, strictly speaking, but the contents of the folder do.

Changing Your Folder View in File Explorer Using a Screen Reader

--

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:27 PM, David Kingsbury wrote:
If you are having a problem with files in Details view, then I don’t know what is going on.
-
Nor do I.  File Size is presented in File Explorer using Details View in every version of Windows I'm familiar with up through Windows 11.  Folders do not have sizes presented because the folder itself doesn't have a size, strictly speaking, but the contents of the folder do.

Changing Your Folder View in File Explorer Using a Screen Reader

--

Curtis Chong

Sorry, but I did what you suggested and on my system, the recommendation did not work. Apologies.

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karina Castro
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 7:41 PM

Hello Barbara and David, that is a good way to see ithems size info, but it's alot of data! Howeber it's a good alternative.

I know what can you do for solving your problem, Barbara, so my Windows is in spanish.  I'd like to guide step by step sso I don't know exactly how do it propperly.

You should go to Folder options (or File Explorer settings?) and get to View tab (or symilar, I really sorry!).  Now you can find a tree view with various options, aproximately 21 options, using tab key and after moving down with down arrow.

Well, there should be any option called something symilar to "Show info about file size in folder recommendations".  If you find this option, check it is on.

Let's it!  Now you can "apply changes" and press OK.  After this you can see "file size" as just as you want, using right arrow over selected ithem.

Greets!

El 18/1/2022 a las 11:27, David Kingsbury escribió:

Hi Barbara,

Right arrowing in Details view will tell you the size of files, but not folders. To hear folder size, with focus on the folder, press Alt Enter to get into properties and press Insert B. You will hear a bunch of stuff, including the size of the folder.

David

-- 
Salu2, Kari

Karina Castro

Hello Barbara and David, that is a good way to see ithems size info, but it's alot of data! Howeber it's a good alternative.

I know what can you do for solving your problem, Barbara, so my Windows is in spanish.  I'd like to guide step by step sso I don't know exactly how do it propperly.

You should go to Folder options (or File Explorer settings?) and get to View tab (or symilar, I really sorry!).  Now you can find a tree view with various options, aproximately 21 options, using tab key and after moving down with down arrow.

Well, there should be any option called something symilar to "Show info about file size in folder recommendations".  If you find this option, check it is on.

Let's it!  Now you can "apply changes" and press OK.  After this you can see "file size" as just as you want, using right arrow over selected ithem.

Greets!

El 18/1/2022 a las 11:27, David Kingsbury escribió:

Hi Barbara,

Right arrowing in Details view will tell you the size of files, but not folders. To hear folder size, with focus on the folder, press Alt Enter to get into properties and press Insert B. You will hear a bunch of stuff, including the size of the folder.

David

-- 
Salu2, Kari

David Kingsbury

Hi Barbara,

David

Curtis Chong

No, this is not a JAWS settings issue. Perhaps we can chat offline.

Curtis Chong
chong.curtis@...

On Jan 17, 2022, at 8:05 PM, Barbara Sheinbein <sheinbeinb@...> wrote:

Hi Curtis,

OK I did as you directed.  I still do not hear the figure for the size.  Is there something I also need to do in the JAWS settings?

Thanks.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2022 8:42 PM
Cc: JFW List <jfw@groups.io>

Greetings:

Change to the Details View. First, press control space to be sure nothing is selected. Then, press shift f10 function key. Arrow to view submenu, press right arrow, and arrow down to details. Press Enter to pick this view.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

On Jan 17, 2022, at 7:20 PM, Barbara Sheinbein <sheinbeinb@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know I used to be able to read this, but not now.  I want to know the total size of specific files and also some folders.

I have Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.

I recall using Windows Explorer for this.  I would go to the file or folder name and right arrow to the size.  When I do this now, all I hear is the word size, but no figure.

How to resolve?  Is it an adjustment in Windows 10 or in JAWS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barbara

Barbara Sheinbein

Hi Curtis,

OK I did as you directed.  I still do not hear the figure for the size.  Is there something I also need to do in the JAWS settings?

Thanks.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2022 8:42 PM
Cc: JFW List <jfw@groups.io>

Greetings:

Change to the Details View. First, press control space to be sure nothing is selected. Then, press shift f10 function key. Arrow to view submenu, press right arrow, and arrow down to details. Press Enter to pick this view.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Hi Everyone,

I know I used to be able to read this, but not now.  I want to know the total size of specific files and also some folders.

I recall using Windows Explorer for this.  I would go to the file or folder name and right arrow to the size.  When I do this now, all I hear is the word size, but no figure.

Barbara

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Hi Everyone,

Barbara

Barbara Sheinbein

Hi Everyone,

Barbara