moderated File and folder size

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 12:37 PM, David Kingsbury wrote:
I should add that if you are in a folder with primarily audio files like music, size is not part of the details view default for individual files.
-
Absolutely correct.  I was willing to assume we were not talking about the media libraries, which do have formats specific to the media type.  Even Photos display as thumbnails by default, though if you change them to details view you do get the size shown.

Windows does a good job as far as "presenting what most would want to know" based on what library a given thing is stored in.  Otherwise, it uses the folder settings for documents or general items.

If you open the Properties for a given folder (or library) and look at the Customize tab the first item is the "What kind of folder do you want?" dropdown which shows the various options for presentation.  Were you to want to change media files to "show like regular" you would change from audio/video to general or documents.

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

I should add that if you are in a folder with primarily audio files like music, size is not part of the details view default for individual files. Things like artist, etc. will appear. You will need to change this in the add columns part of the View tab of the ribbon, assuming you are using Windows 10. In Windows 11, I assume it is in the View submenu or whatever they call it there. Again as Brian says, a bit complicated to change this.

David

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 10:34 AM, Kevin Minor wrote:
The file size won’t show up in details view if it was removed from one of the columns in the sort options.
-
Indeed, but that's not the default state, and I'd presume that someone would know if they've removed it, as it's not a simple matter to do (as it's the reverse of your instructions to add it back in).

Thanks for the instructions, though, they're useful for tweaking of whatever column or columns you want to show/hide.  And Size is indeed just Size.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

The file size won’t show up in details view if it was removed from one of the columns in the sort options.

To check to see if it’s checked, in a folder in File explorer, have nothing selected.

Hit either SHIFT+F10 or the applications key.

Find the sort option in the menu, and select it.

Now go down the list of what’s available to sort by, and see if size is there. If not, select the More option.

Now, hit TAB to get to the items that can be checked. First letter navigation works here, so either look for Size, which I think it is, or File Size if it’s not, and check it.

If you want to put it in another column than the last one, you can do this in the above dialogue.

Once done, TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

If all goes well, the size of items will be there.

Hope this is helpful.

Kevin and Jilly