moderated What do the sound indicators, like beeps and chimes, mean?

Mark

Can anyone explain what the various sound indicators mean in JAWS?  For example, when I am typing and have the caps key on without knowing, and then I press shift and a letter, I notice JAWS beeps. I believe there's also some kind of chime sound to mean some kind of error or that it finds nothing. I haven't found any documentation that explains what these sound indicators mean so I'm kind of guessing.

Bill White

Hi, Mark. Most of these sounds are not JAWS-related, but, rather, Windows-related. If you want to know what a particular sound means, go to,

Control Panel>Sound>Sounds tab.

Each sound has an event associated with the sound. Once you look at the various events, you can tab to the name of the sound, and past that, there is a test button. When this test button is pressed, the sound associated with the event from which you just tabbed will be played.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 9:13 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: What do the sound indicators, like beeps and chimes, mean?

Can anyone explain what the various sound indicators mean in JAWS?  For example, when I am typing and have the caps key on without knowing, and then I press shift and a letter, I notice JAWS beeps. I believe there's also some kind of chime sound to mean some kind of error or that it finds nothing. I haven't found any documentation that explains what these sound indicators mean so I'm kind of guessing.

Mark

I checked, Bill, and yeah, some sounds are listed there. Thank you. But in the case of the beep where the caps lock is on, then typing shift + letter, that beep only happens when JAWS is on. Is there also a list of what these JAWS sounds mean?

Bill White

Hi, Mark. I don't think there's a listing of what these sounds do.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: What do the sound indicators, like beeps and chimes, mean?

I checked, Bill, and yeah, some sounds are listed there. Thank you. But in the case of the beep where the caps lock is on, then typing shift + letter, that beep only happens when JAWS is on. Is there also a list of what these JAWS sounds mean?

Mario

Mark, hopefully someone can explain it better, but the sound you are referring to is to alert you that the caps lock is on.

for example, you start typing normally and press the shift key with a letter intending to capitalize it, but the keyboard beeps indicating that you actually are temporarily making the letter that you pressed simultaneously with the shift key lowercase, indicating that the caps lock is on. therefore what you have typed up until pressing the shift key might have been unknowingly capitalized.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Saturday, January 15, 2022, 2:14 PM
I checked, Bill, and yeah, some sounds are listed there. Thank you. But
in the case of the beep where the caps lock is on, then typing shift +
letter, that beep only happens when JAWS is on. Is there also a list of
what these JAWS sounds mean?

Mario

the sound is generated from the screen reader being used. in all cases, the sound is different when using NVDA, JAWS, or Narrator.

Date: Saturday, January 15, 2022, 2:48 PM
Mark, hopefully someone can explain it better, but the sound you are
referring to is to alert you that the caps lock is on.

for example, you start typing normally and press the shift key with a
letter intending to capitalize it, but the keyboard beeps indicating
that you actually are temporarily making the letter that you pressed
simultaneously with the shift key lowercase, indicating that the caps
lock is on. therefore what you have typed up until pressing the shift
key might have been unknowingly capitalized.

Date: Saturday, January 15, 2022, 2:14 PM
I checked, Bill, and yeah, some sounds are listed there. Thank you. But
in the case of the beep where the caps lock is on, then typing shift +
letter, that beep only happens when JAWS is on. Is there also a list of
what these JAWS sounds mean?

Mark

so it seems like there is no legend that lists what theses sorts of screen reader sounds mean, or how many there are.