Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 7:10 PM
Subject: shortcut to web site on desktop

Could someone refresh my memory on how to create a shortcut to a web site on the desktop? Using Win 7 and Brave  or IE browser.  Thanks.  Tom

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:54 PM, T. Civitello wrote:
Never mind, figured it out.
-
That, while great for you, won't help others who may come upon this topic looking for answers themselves.  Thus, I'll offer the followng tutorial, written by Bill White:

Creating a Desktop Shortcut for a Program/App Under Windows 10

             by Bill White

Steps 1 through 8 create a permanent desktop shortcut to the AppsFolder.  This is optional.  If you prefer not to do this, then you can simply hit WinKey+R, then enter shell:Appsfolder, then hit enter and continue at step 10.

1. Go to your desktop and make sure nothing is selected. To do this: press CONTROL plus SPACE, then JAWS (or other screen reader) should say, “Not Selected.”  If you need to, hit CTRL+SPACE again.

2. Press Applications/Menu Key or SHIFT plus F10, and Arrow down to the New Submenu, then press ENTER.

3. ARROW down to Shortcut then press ENTER.

4. When it asks you to type the location of the shortcut, type:  %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder

5. TAB to the Next button then press ENTER.

6. When it asks for a name for the shortcut, press the DELETE key then type:  AppsFolder

7. TAB to the Finish button, then press ENTER.

8. Now, on your desktop, you will have a shortcut that reads:  AppsFolder

9. If you press ENTER on the AppsFolder shortcut, a special Windows system folder will open containing all of your apps.

10. Use First-letter Navigation to find and select the app for which you want the shortcut on your desktop.

11. Hit the Applications/Menu Key, or SHIFT+F10, down arrow to Create Shortcut, then press ENTER.

12. When it tells you that a shortcut can’t be created here, and it asks if you want a shortcut on the desktop, press ENTER on Yes.

13. That’s it. Now you will have a shortcut for your chosen app on the desktop.  If you followed steps 1 through 8, there will also now be a shortcut to the AppsFolder on your desktop, you’d just pick up at step 9 rather than step 1 the next time you need a desktop shortcut for an app.

or this tutorial that I wrote, downloadable in MS-Word format:

Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10 or 11

Oops, those references are focused on desktop shortcuts or programs or folders.  This one is for website shortcuts and covers the major browsers:  https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-website-shortcut-on-desktop-in-windows-10/

Bill White

Hi, Brian. That doesn't help either. Look at what T. Civitello wrote below:

Could someone refresh my memory on how to create a shortcut to a web site on the desktop? Using Win 7 and Brave  or IE browser.

The source you referenced only deals with Windows 10.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Oops, those references are focused on desktop shortcuts or programs or folders.  This one is for website shortcuts and covers the major browsers:  https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-website-shortcut-on-desktop-in-windows-10/

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Go to the desktop.

Press Control Space until it says Not Selected, so that no items are selected on the desktop.

Press Shift F10 or the applications key.

Press W for New, then S for shortcut.

In the target field, enter your website URL, then tab and give it a name, then hit finish.

All done.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

Could someone refresh my memory on how to create a shortcut to a web site on the desktop? Using Win 7 and Brave  or IE browser.  Thanks.  Tom

Steve Nutt

No need to do all that, see my earlier post, which is simpler, just for websites.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 01:59 AM, Bill White wrote:

The source you referenced only deals with Windows 10.

-
Because that's what I wrote it for.  The original material dates from Window 7.  Certain procedures have not changed in a very long time, and I'm not rewriting every tutorial when I expect that if I refer to it that should indicate it will work in a given Windows version whether that's what it was explicitly written for or not.

I'll also add that anything that finally gets people OFF of Windows 7 at this point should be encouraged.  It is out-of-support and poses a danger to cyberspace in general, not just the user, as it is a platform that is becoming more and more compromised by the day as new vulnerabilities are discovered that will never be patched.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 10:11 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
No need to do all that, see my earlier post, which is simpler, just for websites.
-
I agree, but what you outlined is "Option 2" in the article I linked to.  It is the most sensible, and completely browser agnostic, way to create a desktop shortcut to a website.  And using that method ensures that it will open using whatever you have defined as the default web browser on your machine (regardless of Windows version).