moderated Looking for a Batch File Converter


Dani Pagador
 

Hi, Guys.
Running JFW2021 and Win10. I'm looking for a batch converter to turn
.doc files to .txt files. In Googling I see that Windows has some
options in their store. I haven't downloaded anything, but am
wondering if I can take for granted that what's in the Windows store
is JFW/screen reader friendly. Any thoughts? Suggestions from anyone
else who's needed to do a batch convert?

Thanks,
Dani


Curtis Chong
 

Hello Dani:

You said in your email, " …wondering if I can take for granted that what's in the Windows store
is JFW/screen reader friendly."

Regrettably, the opposite is more likely to be true. I say this after years of painful experience with third party software. If any of us finds something from the Microsoft Store that truly works, we are, may I say, ecstatic<smile>.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dani Pagador
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 7:09 PM
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Looking for a Batch File Converter

Hi, Guys.
Running JFW2021 and Win10. I'm looking for a batch converter to turn
.doc files to .txt files. In Googling I see that Windows has some
options in their store. I haven't downloaded anything, but am
wondering if I can take for granted that what's in the Windows store
is JFW/screen reader friendly. Any thoughts? Suggestions from anyone
else who's needed to do a batch convert?

Thanks,
Dani


Mike B.
 


Hi Dani,
 
NCH Software has a program called, Doxillion, that converts many various formats to another, and I use it often. They do have a free version and you can get it from the link below.
 
 
 
 
 
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool

----- Original Message -----
To: main
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 6:08 PM
Subject: Looking for a Batch File Converter

Hi, Guys.
Running JFW2021 and Win10. I'm looking for a batch converter to turn
.doc files to .txt files. In Googling I see that Windows has some
options in their store. I haven't downloaded anything, but am
wondering if I can take for granted that what's in the Windows store
is JFW/screen reader friendly. Any thoughts? Suggestions from anyone
else who's needed to do a batch convert?

Thanks,
Dani





 

I have not tested it in any way for accessibility, but I seem to recall that I learned about this utility on one of the screen reader or other blind-tech-focused lists:

MultiDoc Converter
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

       ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019


David Griffith
 

I have just tried it and although it is not perfect  in screenreader interaction I nevertheless have just succeeded in converting a load of ePub chapters and word documents into text files. So it is usable at least with a screenreader, and may become very useful as I get more used to using it

The main adjustment is that you have to tab into and out of  and then back into the combo boxes with NVDA if you want to hear any change you have set in the conversion format.

I also ended up converting a lot more documents than I intended as the folder selection process will take some getting used to.

Despite all this it worked so thanks for pointing me to the tool.

 

David Griffith

 

..

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: 08 January 2022 05:22
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Looking for a Batch File Converter

 

I have not tested it in any way for accessibility, but I seem to recall that I learned about this utility on one of the screen reader or other blind-tech-focused lists:

MultiDoc Converter
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

       ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 


Marten Post Uiterweer
 

David,

What do you want to convert, I cannot see your message under Brians
message here, so am not sure what you want.
To convert epub and Word documents to text?

You can dop this with Balabolka
There is also a console version called Balabolka text and I am using
this tool to convert Word documents or pdf files to text, but epub is
also supported.,
I hgave created a batchfile myself to convert things in a batch, so if
you want this tool, let me know.

If you want to download Balabolka yourself:
http://www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.htm

Kind regards, Marten

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:14:26 +0000 "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

I have just tried it and although it is not perfect  in screenreader interaction I nevertheless have just succeeded in converting a load of ePub chapters and word documents into text files. So it is usable at least with a screenreader, and may become very useful as I get more used to using it
The main adjustment is that you have to tab into and out of  and then back into the combo boxes with NVDA if you want to hear any change you have set in the conversion format.
I also ended up converting a lot more documents than I intended as the folder selection process will take some getting used to.
Despite all this it worked so thanks for pointing me to the tool.

David Griffith

..

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>Mail for Windows

From: <mailto:britechguy@...>Brian Vogel
Sent: 08 January 2022 05:22
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Looking for a Batch File Converter


I have not tested it in any way for accessibility, but I seem to recall that I learned about this utility on one of the screen reader or other blind-tech-focused lists:

<http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html>MultiDoc Converter
--
Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044
Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.
~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019





 

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 04:50 PM, Marten Post Uiterweer wrote:
What do you want to convert
-
Original messsage, which started this topic and was several before my reply:   

Balabolka is not my "go to" program for this sort of conversion, even though it can do it.  I think of it more when I want text to audio.  But it's certainly a fine tool if you use that feature set.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

       ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019


Marten Post Uiterweer
 

Hi Brian,

The balabolka text program is a console version of Balabolka and can
exactly do what you want.
It can convert different formats to text and also in a batch.

The Balabolka program with the gui you are talking about is indeed a
program that can create audio-versions of texts.

Kind regards, Marten

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:37:02 -0800 "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 04:50 PM, Marten Post Uiterweer wrote:


What do you want to convert
-
Original messsage, which started this topic and was several before my reply: #94916 ( https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/94916 )

Balabolka ( http://balabolka.site/balabolka.htm ) is not my "go to" program for this sort of conversion, even though it can do it.  I think of it more when I want text to audio.  But it's certainly a fine tool if you use that feature set.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States ( https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html ) , September 23, 2019





Marten Post Uiterweer
 

Brian, David,

The Text extract utility from Balabolka can be downloaded from the below
page.
http://www.cross-plus-a.com/btext.htm

Kind regards, marten

On Sun, 09 Jan 2022 12:39:16 +0100 "Marten Post Uiterweer" <martenpu@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

The balabolka text program is a console version of Balabolka and can
exactly do what you want.
It can convert different formats to text and also in a batch.

The Balabolka program with the gui you are talking about is indeed a
program that can create audio-versions of texts.

Kind regards, Marten

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:37:02 -0800 "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 04:50 PM, Marten Post Uiterweer wrote:


What do you want to convert
-
Original messsage, which started this topic and was several before my reply: #94916 ( https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/94916 )

Balabolka ( http://balabolka.site/balabolka.htm ) is not my "go to" program for this sort of conversion, even though it can do it.  I think of it more when I want text to audio.  But it's certainly a fine tool if you use that feature set.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States ( https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html ) , September 23, 2019








Michael Hunsaker
 

Typically I use pandoc. It is a command line tool, but works extremely well for most tasks I need. 


 

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 05:25 PM, Michael Hunsaker wrote:
pandoc. It is a command line tool, but works extremely well for most tasks I need. 
-
The command line is, sadly, not used nearly as often as it once was, and for bulk/batch operations, it's often much easier to do it that way.  You can pipe the output from one command listing the files you want to convert to the converter and away it goes.  No typing involved.

I got into the world of computing in the early 1980s, which is several eons ago in the computer world.  One of the quotations that went into my quotes file in the developing days of the GUI, and that I still believe, is:

A GUI is to a command-line as a TV is to a book.

         ~ Scott Hess
 
There is insane power and ease with command line interfaces that simply have never been replicated in GUIs.  You just have to learn "all the tricks," and that has not been happening for quite a few years now, in general.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

       ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019


JM Casey
 

Ans since GUIs tend to be not quite standardised enough to work with ease with screen-readers all of the time, the command line is pretty much a most obvious solution for anyone who can’t see to use a GUI. it really couldn’t’ be easier once you get the hang of it.

And of course, system administrators still use command line all the time, for all sorts of things. No reason why other computer users shouldn’t/cant’ do the same.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: January 9, 2022 06:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Looking for a Batch File Converter

 

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 05:25 PM, Michael Hunsaker wrote:

pandoc. It is a command line tool, but works extremely well for most tasks I need. 

-
The command line is, sadly, not used nearly as often as it once was, and for bulk/batch operations, it's often much easier to do it that way.  You can pipe the output from one command listing the files you want to convert to the converter and away it goes.  No typing involved.

I got into the world of computing in the early 1980s, which is several eons ago in the computer world.  One of the quotations that went into my quotes file in the developing days of the GUI, and that I still believe, is:

A GUI is to a command-line as a TV is to a book.

         ~ Scott Hess
 
There is insane power and ease with command line interfaces that simply have never been replicated in GUIs.  You just have to learn "all the tricks," and that has not been happening for quite a few years now, in general.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

       ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019