moderated Outlook.com account question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I noticed that my Outlook.com account is an Exchange account, and no I didn't
set it up to be one that's just how it got created. I'm wondering if the
undeliverable email issues that I'm having could be caused by this.. Does anyone
know if it's possible for me to change it to an IMAP account? Using latest
versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Jeff Christiansen

Hi Madison

Check this out

POP is turned off by default
IMAP Settings
Outlook.com does not require Secure Password Authentication (SPA).
IMAP server name outlook.office365.com
IMAP port 993
IMAP encryption method TLS

SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com
SMTP port 587
SMTP encryption method STARTTLS

i would remove the exchange account setup and use the above with your sign
in credentials

HTH

I noticed that my Outlook.com account is an Exchange account, and no I
didn't set it up to be one that's just how it got created. I'm wondering if
the undeliverable email issues that I'm having could be caused by this..
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to change it to an IMAP account?
Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Ashleigh Piccinino

What’s IMAP, and is it better than having a 365 account?

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows

I noticed that my Outlook.com account is an Exchange account, and no I
didn't set it up to be one that's just how it got created. I'm wondering if
the undeliverable email issues that I'm having could be caused by this..
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to change it to an IMAP account?
Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Jeff Christiansen

Hi Ashleigh

IMAP is different from POP

These are the protocols used to fetch & sync your email folders

IMAP is more desirable, in my opinion, than POP

Having a “365” account or software, means you have the ability to use the above protocols described

What’s IMAP, and is it better than having a 365 account?

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows

I noticed that my Outlook.com account is an Exchange account, and no I
didn't set it up to be one that's just how it got created. I'm wondering if
the undeliverable email issues that I'm having could be caused by this..
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to change it to an IMAP account?
Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Ashleigh Piccinino

How would IMAP help you, in your opinion? Can you walk me through how to set it up if it’s better than POP or whatever it is? I’ll need specific details, of course. It might be better for you to do a screen sharing option with me so you can help with this. I absolutely hate messing with settings and stuff and possibly screwing something up totally.

Thank you,

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows

These are the protocols used to fetch & sync your email folders

IMAP is more desirable, in my opinion, than POP

Having a “365” account or software, means you have the ability to use the above protocols described

What’s IMAP, and is it better than having a 365 account?

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows

I noticed that my Outlook.com account is an Exchange account, and no I
didn't set it up to be one that's just how it got created. I'm wondering if
the undeliverable email issues that I'm having could be caused by this..
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to change it to an IMAP account?
Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Thanks Madison

If you allow Outlook to set up your account, that is, you just give it the e-mail address and, when prompted, the password, it will take care of setting up the retrieval protocol without any additional intervention.   And it will always choose the following protocols, in this order, if they are available for a given email service provider:

1. Microsoft Exchange  (most secure and optimized for Outlook)
2. IMAP
3. POP3

I cannot recall the last time I've had any account set up by either Outlook or Thunderbird (which also does automatic configuration) using POP3 protocol.

What the e-mail client "configurators" choose is virtually always best left alone.

Madison Martin

If the proticall can be changed then how do I change it? I know this might not be the best idea, but honestly at this point I don't really care; my account worked grate for the first week but ever since then I haven't been able to send any messages not even private ones so if this is an Exchange issue and switching to IMAP would solve my problem then that's what I want as I have no interest in getting rid of my account.