moderated Employment with the Federal Government?

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Claudia, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me BZ, grin!  I just retired from the departmetn of defense after 35 years of service.  It all depdns on what agency you work for and how seriously they take reasonable accomodation.  I first started out with the defense logistics agency and they now do have an excellent section 508 program and a section 508 help desk.  They’ve learned a lesson as it took a class action suit from blind employees but they learned a positive lesson from that and now have a great program.  I then switched to the defense information systems agency in 1999 and my last year of employment with them I actually worked in their reasonable accomodation division.  I’m a firm believer in accentuating the positive and always tried to approach them in a positive manner but when the rubber met the road, the defense information systems agency didn’t want to spend the money necessary to be fully section 508 compliant.  I certainly was blessed to work with some awesome folks but in my exit interview before retirement, I told my supervisor that there was far too much we can’t in disa.  So your mileage will vary depending upon what federal agency you work for.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance, have a great day!  BZ!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claudia
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Employment with the Federal Government?

Hello All,

Is anyone who is totally blind currently employed, with the federal government?

If so, could I reach out with some questions related to JAWS and accessibility of the government data bases?

Thanks.

Claudia

Kane Brolin

On 12/29/21, Claudia <claudiadr2013@...> wrote:
Is anyone who is totally blind currently employed, with the federal
government?
Reach out to Ronza Othman: ROthmanJD@.... She seems to have a
lot of experience relevant to your questions. As recently as 2019,
Ronza was working as an attorney for the federal Department of Health
and Human Services. She is chair of the NFB Blind Federal Employment
Committee and as president of the Maryland State Affiliate in the
National Federation of the Blind. Maryland arguably is the largest and
most influential state affiliate in the Federation. I do not know
Ronza well on a personal level, but she is quite articulate and seems
to be very accomplished in her field. She also seems quite willing
and able to help other blind folks who are seeking or trying to
navigate federal employment.

To join the e-mail list that is native to the Blind Federal Employment
Committee, visit
https://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-federal-employment-committee_nfbnet.org.

I hope this helps.

-Kane

Lori Lynn

Good Morning,

I am a totally blind JAWS user. I worked for the Federal government for 34 years before retiring. I still keep in close contact with other JAWS users and would be glad to try to answer your questions. Feel free to contact me either through this group or directly.

Lori Lynn

Grandma.Lori@...

Is anyone who is totally blind currently employed, with the federal government?

If so, could I reach out with some questions related to JAWS and accessibility of the government data bases?

Thanks.

Claudia

Justin Williams

There is also a federal government employees list with the national federation of the blind you could check.

The president's name is Romza, or something like that.

Thanks,

Justin