moderated Buying a laptop

Bonnie Vegiard

Hi everyone. I thought I had someone to help me buy a new laptop, but that fell through. A year ago I got a Lenovo, but it turned out not to have a separate number pad and I find I just cannot make the laptop configuration work with jaws. I know others can do it, but I just want that separate number pet. When I’m online though, it’s very difficult to figure out if the computer has that separate number pad. Also, the one I got a year ago had to have the BIOS altered so that I could install fusion. How do I figure out if I’ve got a laptop that will work out of the box that has a separate number pad? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Bonnie Vegiard

Don H

Usually you need to purchase a 15 or 17 inch laptop to get a num pad.
That holds true for most HP and Lenovo models however very few Dell
laptops have a num pad.

On 12/22/2021 3:07 PM, Bonnie Vegiard wrote:
Hi everyone. I thought I had someone to help me buy a new laptop, but that fell through. A year ago I got a Lenovo, but it turned out not to have a separate number pad and I find I just cannot make the laptop configuration work with jaws. I know others can do it, but I just want that separate number pet. When I’m online though, it’s very difficult to figure out if the computer has that separate number pad. Also, the one I got a year ago had to have the BIOS altered so that I could install fusion. How do I figure out if I’ve got a laptop that will work out of the box that has a separate number pad? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie Vegiard

That helps, thanks.

On Dec 22, 2021, at 3:35 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:

laptops have a num pad.

Bonnie Vegiard

David Diamond

To avoid that problem, I just bought a USB or wireless keyboard and either paired it or plugged it in to the laptop. Trust me it saves on a lot of grief and wondering if the laptop comes with a numpad or not. Naturally too, it gives one more buying power, more buying choices.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bonnie Vegiard
Sent: December 22, 2021 1:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Buying a laptop

That helps, thanks.

laptops have a num pad.

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie Vegiard

I guess then I could keep the laptop I bought last year and just add the NUM pad. Silly me, I really did not think of that.

On Dec 22, 2021, at 3:50 PM, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:

To avoid that problem, I just bought a USB or wireless keyboard and either paired it or plugged it in to the laptop. Trust me it saves on a lot of grief and wondering if the laptop comes with a numpad or not. Naturally too, it gives one more buying power, more buying choices.

That helps, thanks.

laptops have a num pad.

Bonnie Vegiard

Nancy Hill

I use a separate keyboard for my Lenovo.  When I called JFW to ask how to use jaws without a numpad, the technical person I talked with told me to get an external keyboard with numpad on it...Easy peasy ever since.

Good Luck!

nancy

On 12/22/2021 4:50 PM, David Diamond wrote:

That helps, thanks.

laptops have a num pad.

Bonnie Vegiard

Van Lant, Robin

On my next purchase, I'll skip the numpad for this reason. I was not ready to give it up last time, which pushed me to a 17-inch laptop and raised the cost. I think I could have gotten a more powerful computer for the same price if I'd gone with a 14 or 15 inch and just plugged in a keyboard. Oh, and the laptop was also touchscreen, which seemed cool at the time, but is just not worth it for me. Couldn't figure out how to use it with JAWS on, even for a quick button click when a sighted person is helping me.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2021 2:50 PM

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

That helps, thanks.

laptops have a num pad.

Bonnie Vegiard

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Tyler Wood

I haven't specifically relied on the numpad in a very, very long time.
There are certainly cases in which it is warranted, and for that I would simply get a USB numpad which by all accounts would work far nicer and alleviate the need to look for a laptop with one.
This is just my personal opinion, however I can safely say the lack of a numpad really hasn't negatively effected me in daily use. Your mileage may vary however.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 5:30 PM Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant=Key.com@groups.io> wrote:
On my next purchase, I'll skip the numpad for this reason.  I was not ready to give it up last time, which pushed me to a 17-inch laptop and raised the cost. I think I could have gotten a more powerful computer for the same price if I'd gone with a 14 or 15 inch and just plugged in a keyboard.   Oh, and the laptop was also touchscreen, which seemed cool at the time, but is just not worth it for me. Couldn't figure out how to use it with JAWS on, even for a quick button click when a sighted person is helping me.

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

That helps, thanks.

> On Dec 22, 2021, at 3:35 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
>
> Usually you need to purchase a 15 or 17 inch laptop to get a num pad.
> That holds true for most HP and Lenovo models however very few Dell
> laptops have a num pad.
>
>> On 12/22/2021 3:07 PM, Bonnie Vegiard wrote:
>> Hi everyone. I thought I had someone to help me buy a new laptop, but that fell through. A year ago I got a Lenovo, but it turned out not to have a separate number pad and I find I just cannot make the laptop configuration work with jaws. I know others can do it, but I just want that separate number pet. When I’m online though, it’s very difficult to figure out if the computer has that separate number pad. Also, the one I got a year ago had to have the  BIOS altered so that I could install fusion. How do I figure out if I’ve got a laptop that will work out of the box that has a separate number pad? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
>>
>> Bonnie Vegiard
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Zachary Morris

Hello,
I typically don’t find myself using a laptopwith a numpad, or using a numpad in general. There have been a few times where I wished I had a numpad, but again, that’s few and far between. Currently, I use a mac, so I don’t have a numpad regardless, and my previous windows machines never had numpads on them. I still need to get slightly better at using the number row, since I’m still very slow with it, but still, all things considered, they’re usually not needed. I’ve always preferred laptop layouts, no matter which screen reader I used.
Regards,
Zach
Sent from my MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)

On Dec 22, 2021, at 17:39, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

I haven't specifically relied on the numpad in a very, very long time.
There are certainly cases in which it is warranted, and for that I would simply get a USB numpad which by all accounts would work far nicer and alleviate the need to look for a laptop with one.
This is just my personal opinion, however I can safely say the lack of a numpad really hasn't negatively effected me in daily use. Your mileage may vary however.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 5:30 PM Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:
On my next purchase, I'll skip the numpad for this reason. I was not ready to give it up last time, which pushed me to a 17-inch laptop and raised the cost. I think I could have gotten a more powerful computer for the same price if I'd gone with a 14 or 15 inch and just plugged in a keyboard. Oh, and the laptop was also touchscreen, which seemed cool at the time, but is just not worth it for me. Couldn't figure out how to use it with JAWS on, even for a quick button click when a sighted person is helping me.

That helps, thanks.

laptops have a num pad.

Bonnie Vegiard

KeyCorp Public

Phillip Gross

I, like others, don't use the numpad. In fact, at home where I use a bluetooth keyboard, I still use laptop layout, but that's just my preference. 

Anyway, you have two options. If you never travel with your laptop, then I would go get a keyboard that you like. Try several and see which one fits you best. If you do travel with your laptop, then get an external numpad. That will fit in a laptop bag and shouldn't take up much room.

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>

If having a numeric keypad on your laptop’s keyboard is important to you I’d recommend two things. First, look at the description of the laptop on the page since it might mention that a number pad is included. If it doesn’t I would send a link to a sighted person to ask if they see a number pad on the keyboard.

David Goldfield,

Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist

JAWS Certified, 2019

Subscribe to the Tech-VI announcement list to receive emails regarding news and events in the blindness assistive technology field.

Email: tech-vi+subscribe@groups.io

www.DavidGoldfield.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 9:07 AM

I, like others, don't use the numpad. In fact, at home where I use a bluetooth keyboard, I still use laptop layout, but that's just my preference. 

Anyway, you have two options. If you never travel with your laptop, then I would go get a keyboard that you like. Try several and see which one fits you best. If you do travel with your laptop, then get an external numpad. That will fit in a laptop bag and shouldn't take up much room.

Abraham Sweiss

I would buy an external keyboard

Thanks,abraham 

On Dec 23, 2021, at 9:54 AM, David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:

If having a numeric keypad on your laptop’s keyboard is important to you I’d recommend two things. First, look at the description of the laptop on the page since it might mention that a number pad is included. If it doesn’t I would send a link to a sighted person to ask if they see a number pad on the keyboard.

David Goldfield,

JAWS Certified, 2019

Subscribe to the Tech-VI announcement list to receive emails regarding news and events in the blindness assistive technology field.

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

I also went through the process of buying a new laptop this summer. It was more complicated by the fact that I live in a very small town and the nearest place to actually look at more than 2 or 3 is about 50 miles away. I also strongly wanted a numpad as well. Part of it is I’m older and wanted what I’m use to having. Part of it is also because I felt that having a separate keyboard was more cumbersome than I wanted to deal with. I ended up getting a 17 inch Del through Amazon. I found that if it has a numpad then it will be mentioned in the description. Remember that you are the one who will be using it, so get what you want and can afford.

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Abraham Sweiss
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 10:53 AM

Thanks,abraham 

David Goldfield,

JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>

Lori is correct. If a user prefers a number pad as part of the keyboard and if having one makes things easier then the user should have it. While I’m personally fine with using my preferred external keyboard with my laptop this definitely reduces the portability if you frequently travel.

One consideration that hasn’t been mentioned is the problematic audio latency issues when using screen readers with some (but definitely not all) Realtek drivers. The Microsoft store had a sale with an Asus Vivobook laptop which I bought for my sighted wife. Its performance was impressive but I noticed a delay between pressing a key and hearing the screen reader speak the results of that key press. This was true for both typing characters as well as navigating with arrow keys. Disabling audio enhancements definitely helped but there was still a slight delay which I was unable to fix no matter what I tried which included installing the latest Realtek drivers and running the SFC and Dism commands. My sixth generation I7 Dell Lattitude, which also uses Realtek drivers, provides completely instant response and if I can’t have that same level of responsiveness with an 11th-generation I5 I don’t want the laptop. I’ve alerted Asus about this but wanted to throw that out there as a possible warning. Based on feedback from these groups I’m assuming the problem isn’t all that common but it happens enough that I think some organized advocacy with Realtek is definitely in order.

David Goldfield,

JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lori Lynn
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 12:12 PM

I also went through the process of buying a new laptop this summer. It was more complicated by the fact that I live in a very small town and the nearest place to actually look at more than 2 or 3 is about 50 miles away. I also strongly wanted a numpad as well. Part of it is I’m older and wanted what I’m use to having. Part of it is also because I felt that having a separate keyboard was more cumbersome than I wanted to deal with. I ended up getting a 17 inch Del through Amazon. I found that if it has a numpad then it will be mentioned in the description. Remember that you are the one who will be using it, so get what you want and can afford.

Lori Lynn

Thanks,abraham 

David Goldfield,

JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Zachary Morris

I think I remember that issue on my old dell laptop. Although I’m not quite sure if it was because of realtek drivers or some other reason; when I switched to the microsoft audio driver, I don’t quite remember if that fixed it; I remember doing way too much configuration for my own good when I started using that laptop.
Regards,
Zach

On Dec 23, 2021, at 11:43, David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:

Lori is correct. If a user prefers a number pad as part of the keyboard and if having one makes things easier then the user should have it. While I’m personally fine with using my preferred external keyboard with my laptop this definitely reduces the portability if you frequently travel.
One consideration that hasn’t been mentioned is the problematic audio latency issues when using screen readers with some (but definitely not all) Realtek drivers. The Microsoft store had a sale with an Asus Vivobook laptop which I bought for my sighted wife. Its performance was impressive but I noticed a delay between pressing a key and hearing the screen reader speak the results of that key press. This was true for both typing characters as well as navigating with arrow keys. Disabling audio enhancements definitely helped but there was still a slight delay which I was unable to fix no matter what I tried which included installing the latest Realtek drivers and running the SFC and Dism commands. My sixth generation I7 Dell Lattitude, which also uses Realtek drivers, provides completely instant response and if I can’t have that same level of responsiveness with an 11th-generation I5 I don’t want the laptop. I’ve alerted Asus about this but wanted to throw that out there as a possible warning. Based on feedback from these groups I’m assuming the problem isn’t all that common but it happens enough that I think some organized advocacy with Realtek is definitely in order.

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

Thanks,abraham

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io<main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross

Bonnie Vegiard

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on buying the laptop. I am so used to the desktop layout that I have relied on the NUM pad, and I found it difficult to switch over. Also, I have some vision, so a larger screen is helpful. The guy who is going to make a recommendation did come through, but he recommended one with a touchscreen, which I think is only going to complicate things for me. Still trying to decide whether to get a bigger laptop, or just get a num pad to go with the one I’ve got. But I appreciate all your thoughts.

Bonnie Vegiard

On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:50 PM, Zachary Morris <morriszachary99@...> wrote:

I think I remember that issue on my old dell laptop. Although I’m not quite sure if it was because of realtek drivers or some other reason; when I switched to the microsoft audio driver, I don’t quite remember if that fixed it; I remember doing way too much configuration for my own good when I started using that laptop.
Regards,
Zach

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

Thanks,abraham

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io<main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross

Tom Behler

All:

I may have more questions about this as I proceed further, but if you purchase a windows tablet or laptop without a numpad, will there be any problems invoking certain Jaws reading commands, like Insert 2, Insert 3, etc.?

I would assume you could use the numbers on the main number row, and the insert key on the normal keyboard.

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan

Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 2:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on buying the laptop. I am so used to the desktop layout that I have relied on the NUM pad, and I found it difficult to switch over. Also, I have some vision, so a larger screen is helpful. The guy who is going to make a recommendation did come through, but he recommended one with a touchscreen, which I think is only going to complicate things for me. Still trying to decide whether to get a bigger laptop, or just get a num pad to go with the one I’ve got. But I appreciate all your thoughts.

Bonnie Vegiard

Regards,
Zach

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist JAWS Certified, 2019

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Abraham
Sweiss

Thanks,abraham

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io<main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip
Gross

Bill White

Hi, Tom. No, this is not correct. For example, if you press INSERT plus the number two on the numbers row, it changes what JAWS echos, between Characters, Words, characters and words, and nothing. If you press INSERT plus the number two on the NumPad, it will begin reading in Say All mode. So, the INSERT key plus the numbers on the numbers row don't invoke the same commands as the numbers on the NumPad.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 11:55 AM

All:

I may have more questions about this as I proceed further, but if you purchase a windows tablet or laptop without a numpad, will there be any problems invoking certain Jaws reading commands, like Insert 2, Insert 3, etc.?

I would assume you could use the numbers on the main number row, and the insert key on the normal keyboard.

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Bonnie Vegiard

Regards,
Zach

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

Sweiss

Thanks,abraham

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Gross

Tom Behler

Of course, you're correct, Bill.

Had a brain lapse, and simply didn't think of it that way.

So, how do you typically invoke the normal Jaws reading commands like insert 2 and insert 3 on a tablet or laptop that does not have a numpad?

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 3:10 PM

Hi, Tom. No, this is not correct. For example, if you press INSERT plus the number two on the numbers row, it changes what JAWS echos, between Characters, Words, characters and words, and nothing. If you press INSERT plus the number two on the NumPad, it will begin reading in Say All mode. So, the INSERT key plus the numbers on the numbers row don't invoke the same commands as the numbers on the NumPad.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All:

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Bonnie Vegiard

Regards,
Zach

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

Sweiss

Thanks,abraham

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Gross

Bill White

Hi, Tom. You'd need to switch to laptop keyboard mode, and use the letters and punctuation keys on the home row, and the rows above and below the home row.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 12:15 PM

Of course, you're correct, Bill.

Had a brain lapse, and simply didn't think of it that way.

So, how do you typically invoke the normal Jaws reading commands like insert 2 and insert 3 on a tablet or laptop that does not have a numpad?

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 3:10 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All:

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Bonnie Vegiard

Regards,
Zach

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Lori Lynn

Sweiss

Thanks,abraham

David Goldfield,

www.DavidGoldfield.org

Gross