moderated JAWS did something strange at installation

Bill White

A friend of mine just pointed out that the latest version of the JAWS installer (J2022.2112.24.400-any.exe) did something strange after running it. Once JAWS 2022 was updated, it put a folder in Documents called Downloaded Installation Files. Inside that folder was a folder beginning with {, and some numbers, ending in a }. Inside that folder is an installation file for the Sentinel System driver. Does anyone know why this folder was put inside the Documents folder? JAWS runs fine without it, probably because it was already run at the installation of JAWS 2022 update.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

JM Casey

I feel like I have seen stuff like this before.

Though it makes more sense to use a temporary folder and not the documents folder inside a person’s user profile, I feel like it’s likely JAWS install would normally delete this folder. But perhaps something happened on instalation to abort the process so the folder stayed there.

A friend of mine just pointed out that the latest version of the JAWS installer (J2022.2112.24.400-any.exe) did something strange after running it. Once JAWS 2022 was updated, it put a folder in Documents called Downloaded Installation Files. Inside that folder was a folder beginning with {, and some numbers, ending in a }. Inside that folder is an installation file for the Sentinel System driver. Does anyone know why this folder was put inside the Documents folder? JAWS runs fine without it, probably because it was already run at the installation of JAWS 2022 update.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White

The installation did not abort. JAWS completely installed, and the installation files folder is on both my updated computers.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Don H

I have always wondered if I could delete the Sentinel System driver
installer that shows up under programs and features after installing Jaws..

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>

A friend of mine just pointed out that the latest version of the JAWS
installer (J2022.2112.24.400-any.exe) did something strange after
running it. Once JAWS 2022 was updated, it put a folder in Documents
called Downloaded Installation Files. Inside that folder was a folder
beginning with {, and some numbers, ending in a }. Inside that folder is
an installation file for the Sentinel System driver. Does anyone know
why this folder was put inside the Documents folder? JAWS runs fine
without it, probably because it was already run at the installation of
JAWS 2022 update.

Bill White

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>

Bill White

I wouldn't do that, but I did delete it out of Documents.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

A friend of mine just pointed out that the latest version of the JAWS
installer (J2022.2112.24.400-any.exe) did something strange after
running it. Once JAWS 2022 was updated, it put a folder in Documents
called Downloaded Installation Files. Inside that folder was a folder
beginning with {, and some numbers, ending in a }. Inside that folder is
an installation file for the Sentinel System driver. Does anyone know
why this folder was put inside the Documents folder? JAWS runs fine
without it, probably because it was already run at the installation of
JAWS 2022 update.

Bill White

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>

Richard Justice

Hi Bill,
This happened on my machine as well,.
The Sentinel System Driver is for USB authorization dongles
I deleted the Downloaded Installations folder, and have had no problems.
Seems to me that this is a coding problem in the most recent build of Jaws.

HTH,
Rick