moderated Loading a webpage, why is JAWS chatty?

Mark

Udo, I appreciate your explanation as it helps me understand a little more of what's going on.    Here's the description of the Enable Accessible Notification Events. Is it the right setting?  "When this check box is selected, Windows generated accessible event notifications will be spoken and provided in Braille using Flash Messages. An example of where you will hear these types of notifications include certain areas in Microsoft Office, such as Business Bars. This check box is selected by default."

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Mark,

this are the results I expected. Firefox as non-UIA browser saying much less as the other browsers. Since UIA is part of Chromium browsers Google Chrom speaks more and Microsoft Edge speaks the most. Since Microsoft is the inventor of UIA it's clear they support UIA the most. They implanted a lot of UIA events so Screenreader can speak them. For example the page loading, or if a download is complete.

So please be careful to change the setting because you might miss some informations (like finishing of a download). But this is a good thing about JAWS: you can change settings very fast and find out which one is best for you. The setting you changed recently are at the end of the tree view in Settings Center to change the settings fast if you don't like it.

Good luck in trying out
Udo

Am 23.11.2021 um 02:30 schrieb Mark <mweiler@...>:

Udo, before posting I did tests on Firefox, Edge and Chrome.  I've repeated and pasted results here. Does it prove your theory? Edge certainly is chatty.

Method
On this Canadian government page for Culture, history, and sport, I activated the Discover Parliament Hill link

Results
Here's the speech history for the three browsers after I activate the link. Notice how Chrome and Edge say the context of the source link.

Firefox
Parliament Hill - Canada.ca — Mozilla Firefox
Parliament Hill - Canada.ca
Page has 9Regions, 19headings and 45links

Chrome
Culture, history and sport - Canada.ca
 heading level 3  Link Discover Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill - Canada.ca
Parliament Hill - Canada.ca
Page has 9Regions, 19headings and 45links

Edge
 MainRegion
Discover Parliament Hill  heading level 3   this is a link
Discover Parliament Hill
 heading level 3  this is a link Discover Parliament Hill
Page has 9Regions, 19headings and 45links

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Bill,

"Enable Accessible Notification Events" should be the one,

Udo

Am 22.11.2021 um 20:28 schrieb Bill White <billwhite92701@att.net>:

Hi, again, Mario. Udo could also have been referring to the following JAWS setting, which is found in Miscellaneous in JAWS Settings Center, but only when changing the default JAWS configuration,
Use Accessibility Driver for Screen Capture

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

From: Udo Egner-Walter via groups.io
[mailto:udo.egnerwalter=icloud.com@groups.io]
Subject: Loading a webpage, why is JAWS chatty?
Date: Monday, November 22, 2021, 1:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Hi Mark,

the reason JAWS is speaking some strings twice is as follows:

JAWS uses some framework to gather information like the page title.Since
a few years there's a new framework called UIA. JAWS hooks itself in the
UIA framework and gets the information there. But the old one still
exists and this is reason some things are spoken twice. And because UIA
has a lot of information (at least in Microsoft Edge) JAWS is quite
chatty there.

As far as I know there's a setting to disable the new UIA methods. Since
I haven't an English version of JAWS I can't remember the exact name. I
think it was something like "UIA" or "Automation". But if you disable
the checkbox JAWS doesn't announce the UIA messages like the one if a
download was completed.

To proof if I'm right with my suspicion you can use Firefox, since
Firefox doesn't use UIA. Edge is the browser which uses UIA most
followed by the browser which use Chromium as a base (Google Chrome,
Brave and so on).

Hope this helps
Udo

Am 22.11.2021 um 01:56 schrieb Mark <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca
<mailto:mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>>:

I'm not sure about that Bill. I made a test HTML page with just a link
to a second page and it's seems just as chatty.

Mark

[...]

Hi, Mario. No I think he is referring to
Enable Accessible Notification Events
This setting is in JAWS Settings>Miscellaneous.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[...]

Hi, Mark. It usually has to do with bad programming of the web page. The extra verbiage is usually voicing code from images on the web page.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...