moderated Creating folders

kevin meyers

Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10 changed? Thanks, Kevin

Hareth

No change happened to that function.
If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I use
to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some reason
today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

David Diamond

Out of curiosity I did the control shift N, command, it brought up note. Meaning instead of it letting me create a new folder, it put me in the create note function.

If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some
reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

Hareth

How about trying :
close any opened apps like outlook or office apps ETC, go to the desk
top, or any other directory where you need to create the new folder
within, then do the hotkey for the new folder creation.
TC

On 11/13/21, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:
Out of curiosity I did the control shift N, command, it brought up note.
Meaning instead of it letting me create a new folder, it put me in the
create note function.

If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some
reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10
changed?
Thanks, Kevin

Ann Byrne

What application were you in when you did this? If you down arrow, do you have additional choices for new items? If you are in your documents list, do you get the same results?

At 09:25 AM 11/13/2021, you wrote:
Out of curiosity I did the control shift N, command, it brought up note. Meaning instead of it letting me create a new folder, it put me in the create note function.

If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some
reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in
windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

Jeff Christiansen

I might try Alt+2

If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021.
I use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For
some reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in
windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Was your current list of folders in focus when you tried this? It works the same for me as it always has, running Windows 10 with JAWS 2022.

If I put focus on a notepad document and then hit control shift n, it brought up another instance of Notepad.

Pam

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthegeekpage.com%2Ffix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10%2F&;data=04%7C01%7Cpamela.a.ekstrand.-nd%40disney.com%7Cdf377ad5470a40b84c5108d9a6b9c7e3%7C56b731a8a2ac4c32bf6b616810e913c6%7C1%7C0%7C637724139117248613%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=h%2B9WPgt441ZrqdnFo2SRLD77QvY%2BEq6kOtpqybsY4iY%3D&amp;reserved=0
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some
reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

Ben Moxey

Hi David

It sounds like you had the Outlook application in focus when you tried the keystroke. If so, Control + Shift + N will create a new note.

Try it in a list of files and folders in File Explorer and you will instantly create a new folder and be ready to give it a name.

Cheers

Ben

Out of curiosity I did the control shift N, command, it brought up note. Meaning instead of it letting me create a new folder, it put me in the create note function.

If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some
reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

Ken Chernack

In Outlook, I use ctl-shift-E to create a new sub-folder.
Ken

Out of curiosity I did the control shift N, command, it brought up note. Meaning instead of it letting me create a new folder, it put me in the create note function.

If a PC restart didn't help, try the fixes in the linked webpage.
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/
TC

On 11/13/21, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:
Hello, I'm using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use to press control shift N to create a folder on my laptop. For some
reason today I cannot. Has the method to create a folder in windows10 changed?
Thanks, Kevin

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 10:38 AM, Jeff Christiansen wrote:
Alt+2
-
I'll second this recommendation.   Although, if you're working in File Explorer CTRL + SHIFT + N should work, the default of ALT + 2 (on the number line, not number pad) should also also work and save a keystroke.

It is possible if someone somehow created a desktop shortcut that uses CTRL + SHIFT + N as its invocation, that would get processed by Windows itself rather than File Explorer.  I just tested this out by assigning one of my desktop shortcuts the shortcut key sequence CTRL + SHIFT + N and it always causes that program to be invoked even if I'm working in File Explorer at the time.  The processing hierarchy for any keyboard shortcut is Windows, Screen reader (when you are using one), application program.  And if either Windows or the Screen Reader processes a keyboard shortcut the application program will never have the chance (ignoring the use of a screen reader pass-through command).

    ~ William Plomer

Don Mauck

I get the same. I'm sure there are more threads I've not read yet so I'll look for additional information.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!Y4ELhJraXgWzG3OqJuCf8xW0YEv57SE5cfJiVdjZQhZhg4drL3Z0SXOsAaKEDmQ$

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Don Mauck wrote:
Out of curiosity I did the control shift N, command, it brought up note.
-
Check to see if you have a desktop shortcut for Note and it has CTRL + SHIFT + N defined as its shortcut.

If you do, Windows itself will always process CTRL + SHIFT + N first, fire up Note, and then focus returns to File Explorer.  This, of course, happens very quickly.

But if you have assigned that key sequence to a desktop shortcut, or somehow otherwise defined it so that Windows has it in its "list of shortcuts I process," it's always going to do whatever it is it's assigned to by Windows.  Windows has first dibs on any keyboard shortcut, your screen reader second, and your application program (and File Explorer is an application) third.

    ~ William Plomer

Don,

Then, in the start menu, whether you get to it via searching for it or whether there is a permanent shortcut in the start menu itself, look at the properties for Note.

Somehow, somewhere, something has assigned CTRL + SHIFT + N to make Windows invoke that program.  It is possible, but highly improbable, that this could be the result of a corruption in Windows itself, and they do happen on occasion.

But Windows is never going to fire up a program when a keyboard shortcut is issued unless that shortcut exists in Windows own list of shortcuts I handle.  The most common way of adding to that list is either during the installation of a program or by creating a desktop shortcut and then assigning a keyboard shortcut to that desktop shortcut.

    ~ William Plomer

ratshtron

hmmm, try pressing insert plus numrow 3 then shift plus ctrl plus n and that should work.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/16/2021 11:50 AM, Brian Vogel said:
Don,Then, in the start menu, whether you get to it via searching for it or whether there is a permanent shortcut in the start menu itself, look at the properties for Note.Somehow, somewhere, something has assigned CTRL + SHIFT + N to make Windows invoke that program. It is possible, but highly improbable, that this could be the result of a corruption in Windows itself, and they do happen on occasion.But Windows is never going to fire up a program when a keyboard shortcut is issued unless that shortcut exists in Windows own list of shortcuts I handle. The most common way of adding to that list is either during the installation of a program or by creating a desktop shortcut and then assigning a keyboard shortcut to that desktop shortcut.--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043 Â

   ~ William Plomer

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Do you have the file explorer in focus when you press shift control N?

[...]

It is the function of creative men to perceive
the relations between thoughts, or things, or
forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into
some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

   ~ William Plomer