moderated Task Bar in Windows 11

David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...>

2 different techs including one from the MS help desk told me to just wait till windows 11 has been around for a while so all bugs can be worked out. Pretty easy advice to follow as I was never one to have the latest and greatest.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: November 4, 2021 5:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Task Bar in Windows 11

Well, I haven’t found a problem with Windows+t then hitting enter on any of the applications I arrow to.

Like Sieghard, I tend to use either the Windows key plus the number corresponding to where the app is in the list, 1 for Outlook, 2 for Edge, etc.

Or, I have defined my own hotkeys for programs I use like control+alt+e for Excel.

I only use first letter navigation when I  am in a list like in file explorer.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Berrier
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2021 7:51 AM
Subject: Task Bar in Windows 11

I am using JFW 2022, and I just upgraded to Windows 11.  (Probably not a wise move)

If I hit Windows-t to go to the task bar, I can arrow right or left to go through the items on the task bar.  If I hit enter or space bar on one of them, it usually does nothing.  If I go back into the task bar and do it again, the app opens.

With Windows 10, I used to also be able to use first letter navigation.  Open the task bar, hit c for calendar, then Enter.  First letter navigation does not seem to work in Windows 11.  I also tried it with NVDA and Narrator.  Same result.

Any thoughts?

Jerry Berrier

(This address is used for lists I subscribe to.)

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Well, I haven’t found a problem with Windows+t then hitting enter on any of the applications I arrow to.

Like Sieghard, I tend to use either the Windows key plus the number corresponding to where the app is in the list, 1 for Outlook, 2 for Edge, etc.

Or, I have defined my own hotkeys for programs I use like control+alt+e for Excel.

I only use first letter navigation when I  am in a list like in file explorer.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2021 7:51 AM

I am using JFW 2022, and I just upgraded to Windows 11.  (Probably not a wise move)

If I hit Windows-t to go to the task bar, I can arrow right or left to go through the items on the task bar.  If I hit enter or space bar on one of them, it usually does nothing.  If I go back into the task bar and do it again, the app opens.

With Windows 10, I used to also be able to use first letter navigation.  Open the task bar, hit c for calendar, then Enter.  First letter navigation does not seem to work in Windows 11.  I also tried it with NVDA and Narrator.  Same result.

Any thoughts?

Jerry Berrier

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I haven't upgraded yet, but keep in mind that you can access anything on the taskbar with a single keyboard shortcut which is Windows Key + Number Row 1 through 0 for up to ten items.

Of course this means you have to memorize the order of programs on your taskbar, but let's assume you have the following applications on the taskbar from left to right:

Microsoft Edge, Excel, Word, Outlook, Notepad, there are 5 items here

If you want to open Edge all you would have to do from anywhere is to press Windows Key + 1, if you want Excel it's Windows Key + 2, Windows Key + 3 would open Word etc.

I am sure this has not changed in Windows 11, why you can't open programs if you press enter on them I don't know.

Sent: November 4, 2021 7:51 AM

Any thoughts?

Jerry Berrier

Jerry,

You really may want to consider subscribing to the Windows Access with Screen Readers group.

Discussion of Windows 11 and the quirks of same are fairly active at the moment.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Jerry Berrier

Any thoughts?

Jerry Berrier