moderated Still Have Problems Activating Windows Startup Sound

Tom Behler

Dave and all:

I followed the instructions below for activating the windows start-up sound, and play windows startup sound is checked.

However, when I shut down and then re-boot my computer, the start-up sound does not play.

I am referring here to the older computer that I recently updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

I believe that the windows start-up sound played immediately after I did the update, but no longer plays after I downloaded and installed new Dell drivers for my system.

Is there anything else I should check?

Tom Behler

How to turn on the "play Windows startup sound" function in Windows 10

1. When you are at the desktop, tap the WINDOWS Key, and type "change system sounds" (without the quotes, in the search edit field. Generally, as soon as you type the two letters ch, Windows usually delimits to this result. If it does, press ENTER, to open the utility.

2. When the utility opens, JAWS will speak some Windows information about system sound themes. If you do not wish to listen to the information, Tap the CTRL key, to stop JAWS speaking the infomation.

3, Tap the TAB key, until JAWS says, "play Windows startup sound". JAWS will tell you it is unchecked. This is the default setting.

4. Tap the SPACE BAR, to check the check box.

5. Tap the TAB key until you get to the Apply button, press the SPACE BAR, to apply the change

6. Tap the TAB key, until you get to the OK button, Press the SPACE BAR or, the ENTER key, to activate the OK button, to close the utility and return the system to the Desktop.

7. When you turn on the computer, restart Windows or, you wake the computer using either the Sleep mode or, Hibernation Mode, the play Windows startup sound will be played.

8. After you hear the Windows Startup sound, if you are someone who needs to enter a Windows password or, a Microsoft account password to log in to Windows, and you have not installed another screen reader or, you have, but it has not been set to start at the Log on screen, this is where you need to press CTRL+WINDOWS KEY+ENTER, to start Narrator. When Narrator starts speaking, Narrator should tell you , that you are at the point where you need to enter the Windows password or, the Microsoft account password to log into Windows.

9. If you are someone who has disabled the default log on screen, when you hear the play Windows startup sound, Windows is at the Desktop. If you have not installed another screen reader or, you have, but it has not been set to start after Windows Log on, this is where you need to press CTRL+WINDOWS
KEY+ENTER, to start Narrator and get access to Windows.

Bill White

Hi, Tom. On some computers, the startup sound won't play unless Fast Startup is checked.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill or anyone:

I hate to ask this, but could you send me any instructions for checking fast start-up?

Up until now, I've avoided this because it seemed like having fast startup enabled created more issues than it solved.

But, perhaps I'm wrong, and need to re-think this.

I can get away without the Windows start-up sound, but it is nice to have so you get a quick indication of the status of your computer when re-booting.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

[...]

Loy

You have to go into power settings and disable fast start up as well.

[...]

He already has fast startup disabled. Some computers want fast startup enabled.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi, Tom. Before you can enable or disable fast startup, hibernation must be enabled.

How to Enable Hibernation on a Windows 10 PC

1. type Command Prompt into the search bar.
2. click Run as administrator.
3. type,
powercfg.exe /hibernate on
into the Command Prompt.
4. Press Enter.

Once you have enabled hybernation,

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Open Power options.
3. Find, and press ENTER on Choose What The Power Buttons Do.
4. Find, and press ENTER on, Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable.
5. TAB to, and check, turn on Fast Startup.
6. TAB to, and press ENTER on, Save Changes.
7. Now Fast Startup will be enabled.
8. To reverse this, repeat steps 1 through 4.
9. TAB to, and uncheck Fast Startup.
10. TAB to, and press ENTER on Save Changes.
11. Now Fast Startup will again be disabled.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks, Bill.

I appreciate your continued patience.

And, I sincerely hope this set of instructions benefits more than just me.

I'll give them a try when I get the chance, and will post the results of my efforts.

Tom Behler

[...]

Steve Nutt

I've never heard of that one.

Fast Start Up is uncheck on all my machines, and the Windows start up sound works.

The issue I believe is that no start up sound is defined in your sound scheme, in that case, it won't work.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
[...]

So, how do you make it so that startup is defined in your sound scheme?

This is all new to me.

Tom Behler

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

The startup sound is a simple checkbox.
Open Control Panel
Go to Sound and press enter
Pres Control + Tab twice to go from the Playback tab to the Recording tab and finally the Sounds tab, you can also press Shift + Tab until you hear "Playback tab" and then arrow right twice to Sounds
Tab until you hear "Play Windows Startup Sound" and make sure the checkbox is checked, then tab to OK and activate it.

[...]

Hi Tom,

Looks like you can't any more. I thought there was a sound associated with it in your sound theme, but I can't find it.

Sorry for misleading you.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
[...]

Dave Durber

Tom:

This seems to be a problem with a setting to do with an audio driver for some DELL computers. It has been discussed several times on the list over the past 18 months or so. Maybe, someone who has a DELL PC/laptop, may know what the problem could be an dwill probably be able to solve the problem for you.

Dave

[...]

Steve:

In my experience, whenever I have installed Windows 10, the Windows Startup sound has always been defined and active in the Windows default sound scheme.

Dave

[...]

You said in a previous message, after you followed my instructions on how to turn on the Windows Startup sound, when you restarted the computer, the Windows Startup sound did play but, it has not played subsequently, when you have either powered on the computer or, restarted Windows! The fact that the Windows Startup sound has played once, indicates there maybe a problem with the DELL audio driver or, drivers or, has something to do with an audio setting. I do not have a DELL computer, so I cannot help you further. Hopefully, someone on the list may have some suggestions for you.

Dave

[...]

Hi, Tom. I have a question. Do you have a secondary sound card installed in your Dell? If so, the system sounds may be going to the default sound card, and JAWS and all other sounds to the secondary sound card. This could be why you aren't hearing your startup sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill:

If there is a second sound card installed, and Windows has chosen to use the sound card as the default sound source, not only would all sounds go to that sound card, JAWS would as well, Unless Tom has JAWS specifically set to use the on-board sound card. And of course, if Tom does not have headphones or speakers connected to the sound card, he would hear, The name of the village in Dylan Thomas's poem, Under Milk Wood, which was called, llregub, that is, bugger all spelled backwards. I wish i could get Eloquence using the British English or the US English, to pronounce l l at the beginning of Llaggerub correctly, the way the Welsh pronounce ll.

Dave

[...]

The windows startup sound is checked, but I still don't get the sound when I boot up my computer.

I'm told that I might have to enable "fast startup" in order to make this happen.

Can you confirm this?

Tom Behler

[...]

No apology needed.

Sometimes, I feel that this stuff is way more difficult than it should be.

I'll keep working at the problem here, and appreciate everyone's help.

Tom Behler

[...]

Yes, I do have a secondary sound card, but, at least as far as I can tell, re-arranging the sound card configurations has not allowed the startup sound to come back.

Will continue to check this possibility out, though.

Tom Behler

[...]

None of my computers have fast start up enabled, yet the start up sound works on all three of them.

My suspicion is that you have more than one sound card and the start up sound is going to the wrong one.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close