moderated How can I put GMail on my desktop?

Shirley Tracy

Hi Listers,

For some reason, I can no longer use Windows Mail. It's gradually
declined in usefulness for several weeks. I am starting to use GMail
successfully. How can I get it to show on my desktop so it's easier to
get to? I know I should remember how, but I don't.

Thank you.

--
Shirley Tracy
Shirley Tracy

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Shirley,
There may be other methods people use, but here's how I make a link to a web page.
While on the page, do alt + D
This puts you in the address field.
Then do control C to copy it
Then you can do F6 to get out of the address field.
Then focus on the desktop.
If something is highlighted, that something is selected, which is likely the case, do control space to unselect it.
Then use the applications key, or shift F10 if you don't have an applications key,
and arrow to new, and right arrow into that, and down arrow to shortcut and press enter.
Then you will be in the location field, so you can paste what you copied before.
Then tab to next and give it a name, and then tab to okay or close or whatever.
HTH.
Glenn

For some reason, I can no longer use Windows Mail. It's gradually
declined in usefulness for several weeks. I am starting to use GMail
successfully. How can I get it to show on my desktop so it's easier to
get to? I know I should remember how, but I don't.

Thank you.

--
Shirley Tracy
Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks. It sounds easy enough for me. :)

--
Shirley Tracy
 Shirley Tracy

Shirley,

Just curious what browser you're using?  Glenn's recommendation will definitely work, and it's browser agnostic, but some browsers make it very easy to send a shortcut to the desktop, while others don't.

As an aside, it's no surprise that Windows Live Mail is going wonky for you.  I recommended it as a basic email client even after it was out of support, which is a very rare exception for me, but stopped about a year ago because it is becoming problematic, particularly with GMail and other email services that use more secure authorization than Windows Live Mail was ever designed to support.

    ~ William Plomer

By the way, also remember that you can set up any of the modern browsers to open with a defined page, or set of pages, or have it always open to the set of pages you had open when you last closed it.

I use Gmail and, because of how and when I opened it, it always remains the first tab in my browser and the browser is using the option to open to the last set of pages I had been browsing.

    ~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I don't think  in Edge or Google Chrome they call it a shortcut any more, but you can install a website as an App:

in Edge you would log into Gmail and then press Alt + F for the File menu and go to "Apps" (pressing A should take you there), expand that menu and arrow down to "Install this site as an app".

In Chrome press just the Alt key, then arrow down to "More Tools" and you find the option to "Create Shortcut". You can then name the shortcut and there is a checkbox which says "Open as a Window", I don't know what this means, maybe Brian does and can explain it.

Just curious what browser you're using?  Glenn's recommendation will definitely work, and it's browser agnostic, but some browsers make it very easy to send a shortcut to the desktop, while others don't.

As an aside, it's no surprise that Windows Live Mail is going wonky for you.  I recommended it as a basic email client even after it was out of support, which is a very rare exception for me, but stopped about a year ago because it is becoming problematic, particularly with GMail and other email services that use more secure authorization than Windows Live Mail was ever designed to support.

    ~ William Plomer

Sieghard,

My guess is that this setting means to use a new window when opening rather than a new tab in any existing Chrome window.  I have not played with that, though, but it would be consistent with that same parlance used in Chrome and other browsers with regard to new window versus new tab when links are activated.

    ~ William Plomer