moderated Synonym searching with JAWS

Adrian Spratt

IN answer to mark’s question, no, JAWS find cannot search for synonyms. The most convenient way I know to find synonyms is to open Google, go into the search field, and type the word synonyms followed by a colon, then a space, then the word. Thus:

synonyms: dog

FYI, you could download a program called WordWeb which enables you to focus on a word in your document and get a definition, synonyms, similars, and so on. the information it provides is limited, but often a quick way of getting this kind of information. “Puppy” and other names for dogs might fall under the “similars” category.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2021 2:05 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Synonym searching with JAWS

Mark, a synonym is a word which means the same as the one you have.  The words you mention are not synonyms for dog.  A puppy is a young dog and the other words refer to breeds of dog.

Don

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 6:43 PM

Subject: Synonym searching with JAWS

I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find an answer. Suppose I am interested in dogs. There are many synonyms for dog, like puppy, poodle, terrier, German Shepard, and so on.
Could I configure JAWS so that when I do control + f and type dog, it will also search for any of these synonyms? 

Mark

You're right Don. Thanks for saying that. I suppose the feature I'm talking about would be better called "find related words".  A simplified example could be a user configures JAWS to search for the words login, log in, sign on, sign in, sign up, sign-up, connect, or "go to" when searching for the word "sign in". Each of those variants have different spacing and hyphens but are related in a way the user thinks is meaningful. The user could configure it for other things. Like making a search for the word "hiring" match with words or phrases such as: employment, join our team, opportunities, staffing, hiring, etc. It would be up to the user to decide those related words.

Don Walls

Mark, a synonym is a word which means the same as the one you have.  The words you mention are not synonyms for dog.  A puppy is a young dog and the other words refer to breeds of dog.

Don

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 6:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Synonym searching with JAWS

I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find an answer. Suppose I am interested in dogs. There are many synonyms for dog, like puppy, poodle, terrier, German Shepard, and so on.
Could I configure JAWS so that when I do control + f and type dog, it will also search for any of these synonyms? 

Mark