Getting JAWS error message of "Unknown script called for links" with the new JAWS version and Internet Explorer Version 11

Tim Ford

[Sorry, first note I sent did not have any text in the body.]

Hi All,

The following started for me with this week’s new update for JAWS 17.  It does not always happen, but often enough that it makes it really cumbersome to navigate a web page using IE.

Here is what happens.  I am arrowing around a web page in the usual fashion.  I press insert F7 to get the list of links, or insert F5 for a list of buttons and forms.  JAWS will often times say “Unknown script called for links”, and no list appears.

If I move the arrow key around to a different part of the web page and try again, insert F5 and insert F7 work fine.

I have not tried Firefox or Chrome, so I do not know if this problem exists with other than IE.

This happens often enough that I consider it a major problem, enough for me to uninstall the new update and go back one version.  If anyone else is experiencing this, please let me know, and I will include that information in an email to JAWS tech support.  Please do not email if you are not having this problem.

Thanks,

Tim Ford

Tim,

            I will simply offer the solution that FS always offers me when these sorts of issues crop up:  Download the latest JAWS from their website, uninstall what's on your machine, and reinstall with the downloaded software.  If possible, shut the machine down completely after the uninstall and prior to the reinstall.

            This actually works as often as not, but at least if you've done this already you can say, from the outset, "I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the software on the website and it's made no difference."

            You are quite unlikely to get any traction with FS tech support until/unless you try this first - at least if my experiences are any indication.

Brian

Tim Ford

Thank you for the suggestion.  Ironically, I installed this most recent update by using the update feature in JAWS.  I have had several aborted installation updates with the JAWS feature, and my usual practice is to download and install the full update software.  I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it below.  I will now follow what from now on will be my standard practice.

Thanks,
Tim Ford

Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2016 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: Getting JAWS error message of "Unknown script called for links" with the new JAWS version and Internet Explorer Version 11

Tim,

            I will simply offer the solution that FS always offers me when these sorts of issues crop up:  Download the latest JAWS from their website, uninstall what's on your machine, and reinstall with the downloaded software.  If possible, shut the machine down completely after the uninstall and prior to the reinstall.

            This actually works as often as not, but at least if you've done this already you can say, from the outset, "I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the software on the website and it's made no difference."

            You are quite unlikely to get any traction with FS tech support until/unless you try this first - at least if my experiences are any indication.

Brian

Tim,

           Please report back whether this solved the issue or not.

Thanks,

Brian