From: Jason White via Groups.io [mailto:jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io]
Sent: 08 April 2016 15:37
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Reading headers and footers in word 2010 with JAWS 14

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov> wrote:
I did not know that. I don’t need footnotes much these days, but that’s nifty.

I do need footnotes, and I found out last week that Microsoft appear to have I do need footnotes, and I found out last week that Microsoft appear to have left out a command to return you from the footnote pane to the point in the main body of the document where the footnote was inserted.
left out a keyboard command to return you from the footnote pane to the point in the main body of the document where the footnote was inserted. My Web search revealed that some people use Shift-F5 to work around this limitation, which didn't work for me as I had performed editing inside the footnote text.

I would welcome any better solutions.

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Jason White

Steve Griffiths <Steve.Griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk> wrote:
There is a Word keystroke Alt + Shift + C for this. It now clashes with a
JAWS keystroke to convert objects, but if you use the pass through key,
Insert + 3, immediately before hand, it still works.

Thank you, Steve.

Microsoft's documentation says "Remove the document window split" - not an
obvious command for this purpose.

For MS-Word 2016, they also document Alt+Shift+< and Alt+Shift+> to move to
previous/next footnote, respectively.

Jason White

I tried Alt+Shift+c while in a footnote pane (Word 2013), but it didn't appear
to have any effect. I did use the JAWS pass-through key and was prompted for
the key to be passed through.

Jason White via Groups.io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

Steve Griffiths <Steve.Griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk> wrote:
There is a Word keystroke Alt + Shift + C for this. It now clashes with a
JAWS keystroke to convert objects, but if you use the pass through key,
Insert + 3, immediately before hand, it still works.
Thank you, Steve.

Microsoft's documentation says "Remove the document window split" - not an
obvious command for this purpose.

For MS-Word 2016, they also document Alt+Shift+< and Alt+Shift+> to move to
previous/next footnote, respectively.

Steve Griffiths

Hi Jason,

I've done a bit more playing with this. for the Alt + Shift + C method to work, the document has to be in Draft view (what used to be called Normal view). The more usual view, and that preferred by sighted users because it shows things like margins, headers, footers and graphics, is Print view. Press Alt + Ctrl + N to put a document into Draft view, and Alt + Ctrl + P to put it into Print view.

If you are in Print view, when you've finished editing a footnote, you have to arrow up until you're in the document again, and then you can use the JAWS shortcut Insert + Shift + F to get a list of footnotes; press Enter on the one you want and you'll move to that part of the document. On my PC, when my cursor moves from the footnote pane to the document, JAWS 17 says "space run at column one". I have no idea what that means!

Steve

[...]

Hi Steve,

Thank you for doing the extra research. I hope it helps others on the list
also. I didn't realize that the results could vary depending on which document
view was in effect. Microsoft Word isn't my usual editing environment, thus
I'm still growing used to its subtleties in regard to accessibility.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

You might try querying MS Office Help. Once thought of as almost useless, it's come up in the world over the last few releases, and may yield good info.

Ted