Reading headers and footers in word 2010 with JAWS 14

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

Can someone kindly tell me how I can access headers and footers in word documents? I seem to have significant trouble inserting into documents because I can’t figure out where they have ended up, are they formatted properly? I also can’t seem to access the text in a header, for example, when someone else sends me a document.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cynthia

Tim Ford

JAWS has a very nifty feature for accessing the comments, footnotes, endnotes, and revisions in a Word document.

First, hold down the windows key and press the ; key.  You will get a vertical list box showing, e.g. the footnotes, if any.  You will see the author of the footnote, and the text.  Use the up and down arrow keys, and press enter on the one you want to change.  You will be put into the text at that point.

I forget how to access the headers, someone else on this list should know that.

Good luck,
Tim Ford

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 6:07 AM
Subject: Reading headers and footers in word 2010 with JAWS 14

Hi All,

Can someone kindly tell me how I can access headers and footers in word documents? I seem to have significant trouble inserting into documents because I can’t figure out where they have ended up, are they formatted properly? I also can’t seem to access the text in a header, for example, when someone else sends me a document.

Cynthia

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I did not know that.  I don’t need footnotes much these days, but that’s nifty.

Ted

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 9:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Reading headers and footers in word 2010 with JAWS 14

JAWS has a very nifty feature for accessing the comments, footnotes, endnotes, and revisions in a Word document.

First, hold down the windows key and press the ; key.  You will get a vertical list box showing, e.g. the footnotes, if any.  You will see the author of the footnote, and the text.  Use the up and down arrow keys, and press enter on the one you want to change.  You will be put into the text at that point.

I forget how to access the headers, someone else on this list should know that.

Good luck,

Tim Ford

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 6:07 AM

Hi All,

Cynthia

Jason White

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov> wrote:
I did not know that. I don’t need footnotes much these days, but that’s nifty.

I do need footnotes, and I found out last week that Microsoft appear to have
I do need footnotes, and I found out last week that Microsoft appear to have
left out a command to return you from the footnote pane to the point in the
main body of the document where the footnote was inserted.
left out a keyboard command to return you from the footnote pane to the point in the
main body of the document where the footnote was inserted. My Web search
revealed that some people use Shift-F5 to work around this limitation, which
didn't work for me as I had performed editing inside the footnote text.

I would welcome any better solutions.

Martin Blackwell

I don’t know if this is the best way to access text in a header, but it’s the one I know. I go to the Ribbon.

ALT + N for the Insert menu.

Then press H or header or O for footer.

Then E for Edit.

That will dump you into the header or footer pane (whichever you chose).

Once you are in the header or footer you can use the up or down arrow keys to go to the other. For example, if you are in the footer and press the up arrow key you’ll land in the header.

When you are done, press Escape to return to the document.

Sent: Friday, April 8, 2016 6:07 AM

Hi All,

Cynthia

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Back in the day, you could click outside the body of the footnote and get out that way; does that still work?

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason White via Groups.io [mailto:jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 10:37 AM

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov> wrote:
I did not know that. I don’t need footnotes much these days, but that’s nifty.

I do need footnotes, and I found out last week that Microsoft appear to have I do need footnotes, and I found out last week that Microsoft appear to have left out a command to return you from the footnote pane to the point in the main body of the document where the footnote was inserted.
left out a keyboard command to return you from the footnote pane to the point in the main body of the document where the footnote was inserted. My Web search revealed that some people use Shift-F5 to work around this limitation, which didn't work for me as I had performed editing inside the footnote text.

I would welcome any better solutions.

Steve Griffiths

I use the old-fashioned way of Alt, V, H to get into and out of headers. Note that because this is a legacy command, you don’t get any feedback from JAWS after you press V; just press H anyway and you’ll be there.

You can also press Escape to leave them, but when I do that, I don’t get any response from JAWS, so I prefer Alt, V, H.

Thanks,

Steve

From: Martin Blackwell via Groups.io [mailto:taoman1@...]
Sent: 08 April 2016 16:00

I don’t know if this is the best way to access text in a header, but it’s the one I know. I go to the Ribbon.

ALT + N for the Insert menu.

Then press H or header or O for footer.

Then E for Edit.

That will dump you into the header or footer pane (whichever you chose).

Once you are in the header or footer you can use the up or down arrow keys to go to the other. For example, if you are in the footer and press the up arrow key you’ll land in the header.

When you are done, press Escape to return to the document.

Sent: Friday, April 8, 2016 6:07 AM

Hi All,

Cynthia

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@...