moderated Dell laptops freezing or restarting with Jaws

Phillip Gross

Maxxaudio is audio enhancement software that dell includes. 

Take this with a grain of salt because it’s been a long time since I’ve gotten a laptop from Dell’s business side, but, from what I understand, Dell doesn’t include most of their bloat ware on their business computers. One thing that’s not included is the MaxxaAudio Realtek audio bundle.

For everyone reading this, this probably isn’t your problem if your driver is older than 2020. That’s according to what I heard on the FS podcast. 

David Diamond

MaxxAudio?  What exactly is that?  I know there were problems with it, I think however, I don’t know what the problems were exactly.  Oh, it has 3 USB ports and a SD slot apparently.  This means I will not have to use a USB/SD converter. To think all of this was started because someone was selling a used laptop with 500 G SSD and 16 G RAM for $420.00  Only problem was with the conversion from U S dollars to CAD and the percentage Pay Pal takes and shipping and handling, when the bill came in, it was $685.60.  Visa flagged it as fraudulent thus block the payment from going through.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 9:29 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Dell laptops freezing or restarting with Jaws

David, You may not have any problems. From what I've read, they don't include the MaxxAudio on their business laptops, and the Latitude is definitely a business laptop.

Phillip Gross

David, You may not have any problems. From what I've read, they don't include the MaxxAudio on their business laptops, and the Latitude is definitely a business laptop.

Feliciano G

Philip,
What is the fix for the problem that you speak of?

Feliciano
For tech tips and updates: 
LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.instagram/TheBlindMan12v
those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Steve Jobs 

On Sep 24, 2021, at 6:16 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

David,

From what I've seen from JAWS, who finally reported the problem a few weeks ago, not everyone has this problem. If you do have the problem, it's an easy fix. The only thing I don't like about it is that JAWS doesn't sound as good through the laptop's internal speakers after the change in drivers.

Out of curiosity, which Dell are you getting? What is the processor, how much ram, and all of the other usual questions? If you want to know if this is happening, just keep your resource monitor open on the memory tab, and you'll know in a few hours. Your memory usage will clime so fast you can almost count with it.

David Diamond

Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 6:16 AM

David,

From what I've seen from JAWS, who finally reported the problem a few weeks ago, not everyone has this problem. If you do have the problem, it's an easy fix. The only thing I don't like about it is that JAWS doesn't sound as good through the laptop's internal speakers after the change in drivers.

Out of curiosity, which Dell are you getting? What is the processor, how much ram, and all of the other usual questions? If you want to know if this is happening, just keep your resource monitor open on the memory tab, and you'll know in a few hours. Your memory usage will clime so fast you can almost count with it.

Phillip Gross

Katherine, The first thing I want you to do is to get me your Realtek driver date and version number. I don't want you to remove a driver if something else happens to be the cause of your problem. 

Go to your device manager. In the search box in the start menu start to type in device manager. When it pops up, open it. Hit tab once, and then start pressing s until you get down to sound, video, and game controllers. If it's closed, hit the right arrow to open it, and arrow down to Realtek audio. Press Alt Enter on Realtek Audio. Shift tab once, and arrow over to the details tab. Press tab once. Arrow down to driver date. Press tab once, and get me that information. Then press shift tab, arrow down to driver version, press tab, and get me that information. 

Yu can either send it to me here or email it to me. I don't have the list sending me emails so I may not get back to it right away. My email is phillip_gross@....

Phillip Gross

David,

David Diamond

Now all of you have got me worried.  I will be getting a Dell laptop on or before Oct. 5 from Amazon, it’s a windows 10 pro 64 bit laptop. I’m getting it because my upgraded 7 to 10 had to have a complete re-installation because the audio driver stopped working in it and HP said because it was a 7, they don’t make anymore audio drivers for that version anymore.  This was according to the MS help desk that did extensive research on it as well as a tech from another computer department.  I hope I am not buying a brand new laptop with the same problems.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Metters
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 4:00 PM

Hi Philip

I am so glad that you mention the problems with jaws not working after while and windows 10 with Dell computers. Can you please help me? I don’t know anything about audio drivers. However, I can follow instructions. Can you please send me more detailed information? Thanks in advance!

Katie Lady Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

Cynthia, That should fix your problem. If you only remove 1 the headphones won’t be recognized, and if you only remove the other, it will keep trying to download it. That version of the driver is meant to work with MaxxAudio. So the trick is to make sure that Maxxaudio is either removed or just turned off in startup. After that, you replace the current driver with the High Definition audio driver that’s already included in your windows drivers. If you need detailed instructions, let me know, and I’ll get those to you.

Maria, I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with that one. You can take it to JAWS and see if they have a solution. I probably should have done that, but I’m the guy who troubleshoots everyone else’s computer issues and don’t like to ask for help. Yes, it was stupid of me. On their most recent open line podcast, JAWS admitted the Dell thing was a problem, and they said that the only option was the nuclear option, so, basically, what I described above. I don’t know what’s on your Lenovo, what model you have, or if anyone else is having these problems. It might be worth starting a thread with that information. Also check your ram in resource monitor, and see how much you are using as the computer continues to run. What version of windows are you running. Maybe someone can help. If not, take it to JAWS support.

Kathy Metters

Hi Philip
I am so glad that you mention the problems with jaws not working after while and windows 10 with Dell computers. Can you please help me? I don’t know anything about audio drivers. However, I can follow instructions. Can you please send me more detailed information? Thanks in advance!

Katie Lady Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

Cynthia, That should fix your problem. If you only remove 1 the headphones won’t be recognized, and if you only remove the other, it will keep trying to download it. That version of the driver is meant to work with MaxxAudio. So the trick is to make sure that Maxxaudio is either removed or just turned off in startup. After that, you replace the current driver with the High Definition audio driver that’s already included in your windows drivers. If you need detailed instructions, let me know, and I’ll get those to you.

Maria, I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with that one. You can take it to JAWS and see if they have a solution. I probably should have done that, but I’m the guy who troubleshoots everyone else’s computer issues and don’t like to ask for help. Yes, it was stupid of me. On their most recent open line podcast, JAWS admitted the Dell thing was a problem, and they said that the only option was the nuclear option, so, basically, what I described above. I don’t know what’s on your Lenovo, what model you have, or if anyone else is having these problems. It might be worth starting a thread with that information. Also check your ram in resource monitor, and see how much you are using as the computer continues to run. What version of windows are you running. Maybe someone can help. If not, take it to JAWS support.

Larry Ketchem

hi ya i am starting to have this probelm what can i do ok thanks

On 9/16/21, Sally Hagarty via groups.io <shagarty=advopps.org@groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone experienced Dell laptops freezing or randomly restarting when
using Jaws 2020? Is there a fix for this?
Sally A Hagarty,MST, ATP
RESNA Certified Assistive Technology Professional
Advancing Opportunities

C: (609) 955-4512<tel:(609)%20955-4512>
F: (609) 882-4054<tel:(609)%20882-4054>

Check out our new AT Stories video series--real people, real assistive
technology success stories!
youtube.com/user/assistivetechcenter<http://youtube.com/user/assistivetechcenter>

INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL, DO NOT
READ, DISTRIBUTE OR REPRODUCE THIS TRANSMISSION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS).
IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE
SENDER BY TELEPHONE OR EMAIL REPLY.

Phillip Gross

Maria, you're right. Going back to 21 is probably your best option right now, but, please, report the experience with the JAWS 22 beta so this issue can hopefully be fixed before the final release.

Maria Campbell

I've experienced this with my Lenovo laptop and the Beta of J22, so I've gone back to J21.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
On 9/16/2021 1:23 PM, Sally Hagarty via groups.io wrote:

Has anyone experienced Dell laptops freezing or randomly restarting when using Jaws 2020? Is there a fix for this?

Sally A Hagarty,MST, ATP

Advancing Opportunities 

C: (609) 955-4512

F:  (609) 882-4054

Check out our new AT Stories video series--real people, real assistive technology success stories! youtube.com/user/assistivetechcenter

INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL, DO NOT READ, DISTRIBUTE OR REPRODUCE THIS TRANSMISSION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS). IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE OR EMAIL REPLY.

Phillip Gross

Maria Campbell

This type of thing is happening to me with the beta of J22 and my Lenovo laptop.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
On 9/16/2021 8:16 PM, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:

Hi,

I will have to try this. I thought it was caused by an old USB keyboard, but after I witch to the Logitech K780, the problem disappeared, but then returned. So, I’ll  try this.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claudia
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 2:28 PM

Yes,

I was having this trouble, on a new Dell Inspiron laptop earlier this summer.

Jaws would stop working, after about 30 minutes of use and then resume but would be very, very sluggish.

I asked about this on another list, and it appears to be a problem if Max Audio Pro or Max Audio by Waves is enabled at start-up.

Once I disabled this in task manager, my Jaws became much more reliable and stable.

This is just one idea.

Claudia

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sally Hagarty via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 12:24 PM
Subject: Dell laptops freezing or restarting with Jaws

Has anyone experienced Dell laptops freezing or randomly restarting when using Jaws 2020? Is there a fix for this?

Sally A Hagarty,MST, ATP

Advancing Opportunities 

Check out our new AT Stories video series--real people, real assistive technology success stories! youtube.com/user/assistivetechcenter

INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL, DO NOT READ, DISTRIBUTE OR REPRODUCE THIS TRANSMISSION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS). IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE OR EMAIL REPLY.

Cynthia Bruce

Oh, thank you, this might just solve the issues I have been having. I read the thread, and am wondering if removing maxxAudio will cause trouble with my headphones? It seemed, from what I was reading, that the issue was MaxxAudio in combination with the Realtek driver? I may be missing something here though, I realize.

Cynthia

Sent: September 17, 2021 2:18 AM

Here’s a thread I started on this in May of this year. It’s any screen reader, well about Narrator, with MaxxAudio. Both JAWS and NVDA do it. The best option is to remove MaxxAudio and switch to the High Definition Audio driver.

If you’re interested in knowing more, here’s the thread I mentioned. https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/83145938#89882

Phillip Gross

Here’s a thread I started on this in May of this year. It’s any screen reader, well about Narrator, with MaxxAudio. Both JAWS and NVDA do it. The best option is to remove MaxxAudio and switch to the High Definition Audio driver.

If you’re interested in knowing more, here’s the thread I mentioned. https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/83145938#89882

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi,

I will have to try this. I thought it was caused by an old USB keyboard, but after I witch to the Logitech K780, the problem disappeared, but then returned. So, I’ll  try this.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claudia
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 2:28 PM

Yes,

Jaws would stop working, after about 30 minutes of use and then resume but would be very, very sluggish.

I asked about this on another list, and it appears to be a problem if Max Audio Pro or Max Audio by Waves is enabled at start-up.

Once I disabled this in task manager, my Jaws became much more reliable and stable.

This is just one idea.

Claudia

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sally Hagarty via groups.io

Sally A Hagarty,MST, ATP

Advancing Opportunities 

Claudia

Yes,

This is just one idea.

Claudia

Sally A Hagarty,MST, ATP

Advancing Opportunities 

Sally Hagarty

Sally A Hagarty,MST, ATP

Advancing Opportunities