moderated Edge blocking downloads.

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

Hi, am I the only one getting mainstream Big name files blocked all the time by Edge? I have smart screen turned off and every other setting I can find that would block downloads or websites.

Bill White

Hi, Randy. In the Windows Settings App, under Update and security, in Windows Security, under App and Browser Control, do you have Reputation-based Protection turned off? Specifically, the following check boxes being unchecked may make it easier to download files. Also, there is a SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge setting, not only within Microsoft Edge, but also within the App and Browser Settings I am showing below. Having said that, you still may encounter the browser telling you that a file may be harmful, and asking you to "Keep" or "Discard" the file. Below are some of the settings you may want to look at,

Check apps and files
SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge
Potentially unwanted app blocking
SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps

I have all of these settings turned off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Thursday, September 2, 2021 10:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Edge blocking downloads.

Hi, am I the only one getting mainstream Big name files blocked all the
time by Edge? I have smart screen turned off and every other setting I
can find that would block downloads or websites.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 01:13 AM, Randy Barnett wrote:
Hi, am I the only one getting mainstream Big name files blocked all the time by Edge?
-
All evidence so far points to this being limited to you, among those who've discussed it.

It would really be worth calling Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support on (800) 936-5900, and having them take a look at this.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

What are some of these "main stream big files names"? If they are not secret or restricted it would help to have 2 or 3 examples so others can see if they download.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: September 2, 2021 10:14 PM

Hi, am I the only one getting mainstream Big name files blocked all the time by Edge? I have smart screen turned off and every other setting I can find that would block downloads or websites.

acrobat reader from acrobat.com and auto desk fusion 360 from autodesk.com. Through the last two blind abilities podcasts and something else. Blind abilities another user was having issues with that one that's how I found out about it being blocked by edge.

Randy Barnett

On Sep 3, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

What are some of these "main stream big files names"? If they are not secret or restricted it would help to have 2 or 3 examples so others can see if they download.

hi thanks for the suggestions reputation face protection is disabled already double checked it on my settings seems to be a little bit different I can't find a couple of things that you have. Know if it's because I'm running pro or if we just have a slightly different build of windows. and under settings browser and applications anything that can be turned off and there's turned off and window smart defender is not installed. I may have to reset windows.

Randy Barnett

On Sep 2, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@att.net> wrote:

Hi, Randy. In the Windows Settings App, under Update and security, in Windows Security, under App and Browser Control, do you have Reputation-based Protection turned off? Specifically, the following check boxes being unchecked may make it easier to download files. Also, there is a SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge setting, not only within Microsoft Edge, but also within the App and Browser Settings I am showing below. Having said that, you still may encounter the browser telling you that a file may be harmful, and asking you to "Keep" or "Discard" the file. Below are some of the settings you may want to look at,

Check apps and files

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

so if it's just me i've been having a few other issues lately so maybe it's time to do a clean reinstall.

Randy Barnett

On Sep 3, 2021, at 8:48 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 01:13 AM, Randy Barnett wrote:
Hi, am I the only one getting mainstream Big name files blocked all the time by Edge?
-
All evidence so far points to this being limited to you, among those who've discussed it.

It would really be worth calling Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support on (800) 936-5900, and having them take a look at this.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Have you tried doing the same thing with another browser—for example, Google Chrome? This will help me to understand whether this is an Edge problem or something else.

Thanks.

With kind regards,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Friday, September 03, 2021 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: Edge blocking downloads.

hi thanks for the suggestions reputation face protection is disabled already double checked it on my settings seems to be a little bit different I can't find a couple of things that you have. Know if it's because I'm running pro or if we just have a slightly different build of windows. and under settings browser and applications anything that can be turned off and there's turned off and window smart defender is not installed. I may have to reset windows.

Randy Barnett

Check apps and files

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

Firefox doesn't block these apps. It's an edge thing I haven't really tried it with chrome I guess I can. But it's all looking like it's my System is corrupt

Randy Barnett

On Sep 3, 2021, at 10:43 AM, Curtis Chong <chong.curtis@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings:

Have you tried doing the same thing with another browser—for example, Google Chrome? This will help me to understand whether this is an Edge problem or something else.

Thanks.

With kind regards,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Friday, September 03, 2021 11:31 AM

Randy Barnett

Check apps and files

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

It seems that when it comes to Blind Abilities their download link doesn't really work, I just tried it with one of their iPhone 101 podcasts and when I clicked the download link the podcast started playing and an easy to use web player was on the screen with buttons for Pause, forward, rewind etc. However, if I used Shift + F10 and Save As on the download link I was able to download the MP3 file without an issue using Edge.

Sent: September 3, 2021 10:29 AM

acrobat reader from acrobat.com and auto desk fusion 360 from autodesk.com. Through the last two blind abilities podcasts and something else. Blind abilities another user was having issues with that one that's how I found out about it being blocked by edge.

Randy Barnett

thanks I think it's my system somethings corrupted so I'm gonna reinstall it.

Randy Barnett

On Sep 3, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

It seems that when it comes to Blind Abilities their download link doesn't really work, I just tried it with one of their iPhone 101 podcasts and when I clicked the download link the podcast started playing and an easy to use web player was on the screen with buttons for Pause, forward, rewind etc. However, if I used Shift + F10 and Save As on the download link I was able to download the MP3 file without an issue using Edge.

Sent: September 3, 2021 10:29 AM

Randy Barnett

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 02:23 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
-
If that's something you're willing and able to do, it's the very best way to get a known clean baseline of Windows 10 to start from.

If you have too much time invested in having added programs and have lots of data, you could consider this before a nuke & pave:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Using the ISO file method gets you as close to a completely clean install as you can get without taking "the thermonuclear option" first.
--

~ William Plomer

Mario

I'm wondering if performing a reset of Windows 10 would also work, maybe?

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Friday, September 3, 2021, 2:39 PM

thanks I think it's my system somethings corrupted so I'm gonna
reinstall it.

-
If that's something you're willing and able to do, it's the very best
way to get a known clean baseline of Windows 10 to start from.

If you have too much time invested in having added programs and have
lots of data, you could consider this before a nuke & pave: */Doing a
Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO
file/*
<https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK>

Using the ISO file method gets you as close to a completely clean
install as you can get without taking "the thermonuclear option" first.
--

Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

*/It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between
thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power
to connect the seemingly unconnected./*

~ William Plomer

Edward Green

Hi,

Before you go to the bother of reinstalling Windows, you should definitely call the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk and have them try and fix it.

Cheers,

Ed

On 3 September 2021 19:51:03 "Mario" <mrb620@...> wrote:

reinstall it.

-

file/*
<https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK>

--

~ William Plomer

I have all my data on a separate HD and Have done this so many times I can do it in my sleep! My work PC has all the extra programs that would be a time consuming one to clean install...

On 9/3/2021 11:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
-
If that's something you're willing and able to do, it's the very best way to get a known clean baseline of Windows 10 to start from.

If you have too much time invested in having added programs and have lots of data, you could consider this before a nuke & pave:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Using the ISO file method gets you as close to a completely clean install as you can get without taking "the thermonuclear option" first.
--

~ William Plomer

It would take longer to get a hold of them than it will to do this. I have got it down to a 30 minute procedure. I much prefer a clean install when windows starts having unexplained random glitches.

On 9/3/2021 11:53 AM, Edward Green wrote:

Hi,

Before you go to the bother of reinstalling Windows, you should definitely call the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk and have them try and fix it.

Cheers,

Ed

reinstall it.

-

file/*

--

~ William Plomer

Well It seems downgrading

from an insider build a while back corrupted my system. Now I have the same Windows security settings you described. And things are back to what I am used to. But Edge blocked a download from my One drive account... Hopefully that is not a sign of what is to come.

On 9/3/2021 12:00 PM, Randy Barnett via groups.io wrote:

It would take longer to get a hold of them than it will to do this. I have got it down to a 30 minute procedure. I much prefer a clean install when windows starts having unexplained random glitches.

Hi,

Cheers,

Ed

reinstall it.

-

file/*

--

~ William Plomer

I give up on edge. After a clean install of windows and all the updates, Edge prompted me to download the latest version of Edge. Guess what... It blocked its own installer.

On 9/3/2021 2:17 PM, Randy Barnett via groups.io wrote:

from an insider build a while back corrupted my system. Now I have the same Windows security settings you described. And things are back to what I am used to. But Edge blocked a download from my One drive account... Hopefully that is not a sign of what is to come.

Hi,

Cheers,

Ed

reinstall it.

-

file/*

--

~ William Plomer

Hareth

Try the "internet Options" security settings, enable file downloads in
custom level in security tab.
also see the "reputation based settings" in windows defender,, it has
a lot to do with browsers and downloads.
TC

On 9/4/21, Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@gmail.com> wrote:
I give up on edge. After a clean install of windows and all the updates,
Edge prompted me to download the latest version of Edge. Guess what...
It blocked its own installer.

from an insider build a while back corrupted my system. Now I have the
same Windows security settings you described. And things are back to
what I am used to. But Edge blocked a download from my One drive
account... Hopefully that is not a sign of what is to come.

It would take longer to get a hold of them than it will to do this. I
have got it down to a 30 minute procedure. I much prefer a clean
install when windows starts having unexplained random glitches.

Hi,

Before you go to the bother of reinstalling Windows, you should
definitely call the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk and have them
try and fix it.

Cheers,

Ed

On 3 September 2021 19:51:03 "Mario" <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering if performing a reset of Windows 10 would also work,
maybe?

reinstall it.

-

file/*
<https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK

<https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK>>

install as you can get without taking "the thermonuclear option"
first.
--

different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the
power

~ William Plomer

Hareth

the 1st, meant the internet options within the control panel.
TC

On 9/4/21, Hareth <hareth4m@gmail.com> wrote:
Try the "internet Options" security settings, enable file downloads in
custom level in security tab.
also see the "reputation based settings" in windows defender,, it has
a lot to do with browsers and downloads.
TC

On 9/4/21, Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@gmail.com> wrote:
I give up on edge. After a clean install of windows and all the updates,
Edge prompted me to download the latest version of Edge. Guess what...
It blocked its own installer.

from an insider build a while back corrupted my system. Now I have the
same Windows security settings you described. And things are back to
what I am used to. But Edge blocked a download from my One drive
account... Hopefully that is not a sign of what is to come.

It would take longer to get a hold of them than it will to do this. I
have got it down to a 30 minute procedure. I much prefer a clean
install when windows starts having unexplained random glitches.

Hi,

Before you go to the bother of reinstalling Windows, you should
definitely call the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk and have them
try and fix it.

Cheers,

Ed

On 3 September 2021 19:51:03 "Mario" <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering if performing a reset of Windows 10 would also work,
maybe?

reinstall it.

-

file/*
<https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK

<https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK>>

install as you can get without taking "the thermonuclear option"
first.
--

*/It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations
between
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the
power

~ William Plomer