moderated Focus 40 and Braille

Ann Byrne

Got it! My focus is older and the keys are different. I did find the spacebar on my student's display.

Apparently the Braille input is dictated by the output, so there is only one input choice, depending on the output. To get to the settingsI needed, I had to go to the advanced Braille settings and work my way back up. Strange.

thanks for all the help.

Ann Byrne

Oh, for crying out loud! where is the stinkin' spacebar?

Nope. I don't use this beast for writing.

thanks for the help.

At 07:17 PM 8/31/2021, you wrote:
Here’s what I found in the Focus 40 Blue Display User’s Guide:

Typing with Contracted Braille

With BrailleIn, as you type in contracted braille using the Perkins-style keyboard, your input is immediately translated back as normal text in the current e-mail, document, or form. If an application or specific edit box does not support contracted braille, JAWS announces “Computer Braille� when tutor messages are enabled.

Contracted braille input is off by default. To turn it on, do the following:
* Press INSERT+F2, and select Settings Center.
* In the Search edit box, type "Contracted Braille Translation" without the quotes.
* Press DOWN ARROW to move to Contracted Braille Translation in the filtered search results in the tree view.
* Next, press SPACEBAR to cycle through the different settings in the Contracted Braille Translation combo box.
* Available settings are Off, Output Only, and Input and Output. When set to Off, you cannot read or type in contracted braille using your braille display. When set to Output Only, you can read contracted braille on your braille display, but you can only type in computer braille using the Perkins-style keyboard on your braille display. When set to Input and Output, you can both read and type in contracted braille using your braille display. The default setting is Off.

Note: Contracted Braille Translation can also be turned on or off using the Translation Options (INSERT+V) in those applications where it is available.

This can be found at:<https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/Focus/Focus40Blue/Focus-40-Blue-Online-Users-Guide.htm> https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/Focus/Focus40Blue/Focus-40-Blue-Online-Users-Guide.htm

Fhalom,

Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com

On Aug 31, 2021, at 4:46 PM, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

My student wants to know how to input grade II Braille with his focus 40. Searching the documentation, it looks like you can't. Failing input, how do you output Grade II Braille?

thanks much,

Ann

Ann Byrne

I have only 'computer braille' for input under translation, although I have grade II etc. for output.

At 07:05 PM 8/31/2021, you wrote:
I'm typing this in Grade II braille with a Focus 40. I normally use the QWERTY keyboard for text entry, but for this message, I'm using Grade II braille input.

In Settings Center, under Translation, there are separate options for input and output translation. Mine are both set to U.S. English Grade II. You can of course set them to UEB or whatever else you choose.

My student wants to know how to input grade II Braille with his focus 40. Searching the documentation, it looks like you can't. Failing input, how do you output Grade II Braille?

thanks much,

Ann

Bill Tessore

Here’s what I found in the Focus 40 Blue Display User’s Guide:

Typing with Contracted Braille

With BrailleIn, as you type in contracted braille using the Perkins-style keyboard, your input is immediately translated back as normal text in the current e-mail, document, or form. If an application or specific edit box does not support contracted braille, JAWS announces “Computer Braille” when tutor messages are enabled.

Contracted braille input is off by default. To turn it on, do the following:

  1. Press INSERT+F2, and select Settings Center.
  2. In the Search edit box, type "Contracted Braille Translation" without the quotes.
  3. Press DOWN ARROW to move to Contracted Braille Translation in the filtered search results in the tree view.
  4. Next, press SPACEBAR to cycle through the different settings in the Contracted Braille Translation combo box.

On Aug 31, 2021, at 4:46 PM, Ann Byrne <annakb@...> wrote:

My student wants to know how to input grade II Braille with his focus 40.  Searching the documentation, it looks like you can't.  Failing input, how do you output Grade II Braille?

thanks much,

Ann

Jason White