moderated Annoying Jaws word issue?

Mike B.

Hi Adrian,

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried switching your speech and sound scheme to see if there's a scheme that will do what you need?

If there isn't a speech & sound scheme to accommadate what needs to be done, well maybe modifying a speech and sounds scheme that turns UAI on will do the trick, if possible, when you need UIA turned on.

If you could modify a speech and sound scheme it would make what you need to do much easier by just changing the speech and sound scheme to a scheme that is set to run with UAI mode off.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: Annoying Jaws word issue?

Here’s one drawback I discovered today. But first, Curtis, thanks for figuring out a solution for this problem. The solution to the one I’ll describe is equally simple, though it wouldn’t have been obvious but for your post.

One way to process Word’s track changes is to press JAWS key+z to turn off quick keys, then press the letter r to move from one revision or comment to the next. With UAI turned off, I still get each revision and comment. However, I don’t get an indication of a change at the beginning of a line.

Why does this matter? In a long document, I can move faster through track changes when JAWS informs me that a line has a change or, when JAWS is silent on the subject, that it doesn’t. when it doesn’t, without reading that line, I immediately go to the next one. In a short document, it makes little difference, but in a long one with hundreds of changes, like the one I’m grappling with now, it’s a big timesaver.

The solution? Turn UAI back on!

The drawback: I have to remember when UAI is helpful and when it’s not, and be prepared to turn it on or off accordingly.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

With UIA turned off, JAWS no longer pronounces the new line character generated when you press shift with return.

So far, that’s the only down side I have seen.

Curtis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of ann
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:45 AM

Hi,

My sanity is saved!!! 😀

Thanks so much for this.

But, are there any major down sides to turning off this feature in Word? Just curious.

~Ann

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 12:23 PM, Curtis Chong wrote:

Greetings:

I can also confirm that the problem an be fixed by turning off the UIA feature in Word.

• Press Insert v to go into Quick Settings.
  • Search for uia.
  • Arrow down to the actual choice and hit space to uncheck Use UIA in Word365 documents.
  • Pres OK.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Hello:

In my situation, I leave UIA on except for those occasions where I need to run the JAWS Text Analyzer. This seems to work the best for my personal situation.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

On Aug 22, 2021, at 8:41 PM, Adrian Spratt <adrian@...> wrote:

Here’s one drawback I discovered today. But first, Curtis, thanks for figuring out a solution for this problem. The solution to the one I’ll describe is equally simple, though it wouldn’t have been obvious but for your post.

One way to process Word’s track changes is to press JAWS key+z to turn off quick keys, then press the letter r to move from one revision or comment to the next. With UAI turned off, I still get each revision and comment. However, I don’t get an indication of a change at the beginning of a line.

Why does this matter? In a long document, I can move faster through track changes when JAWS informs me that a line has a change or, when JAWS is silent on the subject, that it doesn’t. when it doesn’t, without reading that line, I immediately go to the next one. In a short document, it makes little difference, but in a long one with hundreds of changes, like the one I’m grappling with now, it’s a big timesaver.

The drawback: I have to remember when UAI is helpful and when it’s not, and be prepared to turn it on or off accordingly.

With UIA turned off, JAWS no longer pronounces the new line character generated when you press shift with return.

Curtis

Hi,

My sanity is saved!!! 😀

Thanks so much for this.

But, are there any major down sides to turning off this feature in Word? Just curious.

~Ann

Greetings:

I can also confirm that the problem an be fixed by turning off the UIA feature in Word.

• Search for uia.
  • Arrow down to the actual choice and hit space to uncheck Use UIA in Word365 documents.
  • Pres OK.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

Adrian Spratt

Curtis

Hi,

My sanity is saved!!! 😀

Thanks so much for this.

~Ann

Greetings:

• Search for uia.
  • Pres OK.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Curtis

Hi,

My sanity is saved!!! 😀

Thanks so much for this.

~Ann

Greetings:

• Search for uia.
  • Pres OK.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

ann

Hi,

My sanity is saved!!! 😀

Thanks so much for this.

~Ann

Greetings:

• Search for uia.
  • Pres OK.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

• Search for uia.
  • Pres OK.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 8:55 AM

Hi,

It is consistent with every single document. At the beginning of each line, it says Font Change. And in a document with more than one page, it's driving me crazy! Well, actually, it's even annoying with only one page documents. It just doesn't last as long.

And I have tried selecting all the text in the document and setting in manually to one font, but it made no difference.

Just out of curiosity, I just tried the keystroke while I was composing this message, and it did exactly the same thing.

~Ann

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 10:26 PM, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:

Hi Ann,

Is the problem consistent with all your documents or with just one particular document? And have you tried selecting all the text, then do a shift F10, arrow down to Font and change all the text for the entire document by the listed choices under the Font menu.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 6:35 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Annoying Jaws word issue?

Hi folks,

I'm running the latest Jaws, the latest Windows 10, with the latest version of MS Word 365. When I use the keystroke Alt+Windows+i to move the cursor between document inconsistencies, it reports a font change at the beginning of every line. But when I check my formatting info, there has been no change.

Does anyone know what might cause this? And better, how can I fix it?

Thanks,
~Ann

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I confirm that this problem is not present in JAWS version 2020. It is, however, present in the latest version of JAWS 2021.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 8:55 AM

Hi,

It is consistent with every single document. At the beginning of each line, it says Font Change. And in a document with more than one page, it's driving me crazy! Well, actually, it's even annoying with only one page documents. It just doesn't last as long.

And I have tried selecting all the text in the document and setting in manually to one font, but it made no difference.

Just out of curiosity, I just tried the keystroke while I was composing this message, and it did exactly the same thing.

~Ann

Hi Ann,

Is the problem consistent with all your documents or with just one particular document? And have you tried selecting all the text, then do a shift F10, arrow down to Font and change all the text for the entire document by the listed choices under the Font menu.

Hi folks,

I'm running the latest Jaws, the latest Windows 10, with the latest version of MS Word 365. When I use the keystroke Alt+Windows+i to move the cursor between document inconsistencies, it reports a font change at the beginning of every line. But when I check my formatting info, there has been no change.

Thanks,
~Ann

ann

Hi,

It is consistent with every single document. At the beginning of each line, it says Font Change. And in a document with more than one page, it's driving me crazy! Well, actually, it's even annoying with only one page documents. It just doesn't last as long. ☺

~Ann

Hi Ann,

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

Justin Williams

Okay, then if Adrien is getting the same thing, it is a thing.

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 8:11 AM

I agree. I'm having the same experience across all documents. Word 2016, latest release of JAWS 2021, Win10.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 6:38 AM

Hi, this issue seems to be a generalized problem for all documents, I have just tried out with a random text generated by Word, and after running the text analyzer function, inconsistencies were found at the beginning of each line, of course, all of them were false inconsistencies.

Best,
Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 8:26 PM

Hi Ann,

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

Justin Williams

Have you tried a previous JAWS version just ot make sure it is the latest?

I'm sure you did, and it sounds like the latest version is the culpret.

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 8:11 AM

I agree. I'm having the same experience across all documents. Word 2016, latest release of JAWS 2021, Win10.

Hi, this issue seems to be a generalized problem for all documents, I have just tried out with a random text generated by Word, and after running the text analyzer function, inconsistencies were found at the beginning of each line, of course, all of them were false inconsistencies.

Best,
Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

Hi Ann,

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

Adrian Spratt

Best,
Leo Bado.

Hi Ann,

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

Leo

Best,
Leo Bado.

Hi Ann,

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

Cristóbal

Yes, I get this too.

On Aug 21, 2021, at 3:35 PM, ann <tate886@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Ann,

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

Curtis Chong

Hello Ann:

If the document is not personal or confidential, it would help if we could get a sample. If you could send it to me privately perhaps, my email is chong.curtis@....

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 4:35 PM

Hi folks,

I'm running the latest Jaws, the latest Windows 10, with the latest

version of MS Word 365. When I use the keystroke Alt+Windows+i to move

the cursor between document inconsistencies, it reports a font change at

the beginning of every line. But when I check my formatting info, there

has been no change.

Thanks,

~Ann

ann

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann

ann

Hi folks,

Thanks,
~Ann