moderated Accessing the jump lists in the taskbar

James Benstead

The keystroke WINDOWS + T takes me to the taskbar, and I can then navigate through the various icons in the taskbar using the TAB and arrow keys.

If I'm using the mouse, I can right-click on icons in the taskbar to bring up what Microsoft calls a "jump list" that shows (amongst other things) files that I've recently opened in a given application.

However, if I use the Application Key or SHIFT + F10 to simulate a right click I don't get the jump list; instead I get an old fashioned looking context menu.

How can I access the jump list for a given icon in the taskbar using the keyboard? I know I can use WINDOWS + ALT + n to access the jump list for the icon in the nth position, but what do I do if I've already moved to some icon using WINDOWS + T and the arrow keys?

--
Jim Benstead
Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello, we tried I use control tab to get to the Junk list I think followed by tab but possibly Fall Out Boy radio. Hope that lets you figure it out.
Jonathan

James Benstead

Correction! It turns out that the Application key *does* bring up the jump list. My keyboard doesn't have an Application Key, so I was using SHIFT + F10, which *doesn't* bring up the jump list: it turns out that the Application key and SHIFT + F10 are actually subtly different keystrokes.

So, to rephrase my question: how might I access the jump list when I don't have access to an Application key?
--

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 12:49, James Benstead <james.benstead@...> wrote:
[...]

Life in Six Dots

Hi Jim,

You’re correct in stating that the Application Key (or Context Menu Key) is subtly different to SHIFT+F10 but there isn’t a keyboard shortcut for it, at least not as far as I know. It’s strange because they have one for the Windows Key (CTRL+ESC). Microsoft say the Application Key isn’t realy used much these days (I use mine all day, every day), and have threatened to remove it!

Paul

[...]

This is another case where a "prepared mouse" or masked trackpad that gives you access to actual left and right click functions without mouse movement is the only solution I know of to accomplish precisely what's asked for.

Another option is having your most commonly used programs pinned to the Start menu and/or desktop and getting to the jump lists there instead.

    ~ William Plomer

NFB Lab 4

Try using the shift F 10 command it may give you a different list

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:04 AM, NFB Lab 4 wrote:
Try using the shift F 10 command it may give you a different list
-
The very post you replied to states that Shift + F10 was tried and doesn't work, which others have confirmed.

This is one of those rare cases where it's not equivalent to either right click or to the applications/menu key.

    ~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Even if you are already on the icon in the taskbar, you can still press Windows Key + Alt + whatever number on the number row is your application or you can route Jaws to PC and then do a right click.

[...]

Mike B.

The context menu opened with the applications key and the Shift + context menu or Shift + F10 context menues are 2 diffeerent context menues.  The Shift + F10 or Shift + applications key context menu is called the, Extended context menu, explained below.

https://www.askvg.com/tip-customize-hidden-extended-send-to-menu-in-windows-add-or-remove-shortcuts/

[Tip] Customize Hidden “Extended Send To” Menu in Windows, Add or Remove Shortcuts

When Windows Vista was released, Microsoft added a new feature to the OS which is called "Extended Context Menu". Context menu is the menu which is shown
when you right-click on an item and extended context menu is an advanced form of it. Extended context menu can be accessed by press and hold SHIFT key
and then right-click on an item.

Extended context menu adds a few extra options to normal context menu which are only shown when you press and hold Shift key while right-clicking otherwise
you'll get normal context menu.

You can check these extended context menus anywhere in Windows such as Desktop, Windows Explorer, etc. Just press and hold Shift key and right-click and
you'll see some new options in the context menu such as open command prompt here, copy as path, etc.

Extended context menu feature is not only present in Windows Vista but also present in all Windows OS which were released after Windows Vista such as Windows
7 and Windows 8.

The same extended context menu concept applies to good old "
Send To"
menu. Almost all Windows users use "Send To" feature, its one of the most useful and widely used feature of Windows OS. It allows you to quickly copy files,
folder, etc to other places such as Bluetooth device, Desktop, DVD drive, etc.

When you right-click on an item and select "Send To" menu, it shows the following items by default:

list of 7 items
• Bluetooth device
• Compressed (zipped) folder
• Desktop (create shortcut)
• Documents
• Fax recipient
• Mail recipient
• DVD Drive
list end

Number of items might be different for different systems.

Have you ever tried to access "Extended Send To" menu in Windows? Press and hold SHIFT key and then right-click on an item and select "Send To" menu. Now
you'll get many other shortcuts present in the menu as shown in following screenshot:

As you can see in the above screenshot, there are several extra shortcuts present in "Extended Send To" menu such as Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, Searches,
etc.

The normal "Send To" menu can be customized by opening "SendTo" folder and there you can add or remove desired shortcuts.

To access "SendTo" folder, type shell:sendto in RUN dialog box or Explorer addressbar and press Enter. It'll open "SendTo" folder:

You can see in the above image, all default shortcuts which are shown in "Send To" menu are present in "SendTo" folder. You can delete an item to immediately
remove it from "Send To" menu or you can copy any desired shortcut in the folder to add it in "Send To" menu.

Now the question comes how to customize "Extended Send To" menu? Recently an AskVG reader "J.R. Rickman" asked us about customizing "Extended Send To"
menu:

I have tried for sometime now to edit my "Send to Extended menu", this is the one you would use: "Shift + Send to" from the Context Menu. I have tried
a great number of third party tools and none have given me the ability to edit any of the options that show up in the "Extended-Send to menu." I have also
used the "Shell: Send to" command which only shows the listing for the standard Send to list (not the Extended list). So of course, I know there is a way
to accomplish the editing process, but I am not sure if it is in the Registry or in a file that I cannot find. At any rate, if you have a fix this problem,
I would certainly be interested.

Actually this "Extended Send To" menu doesn't store its shortcuts in Windows Registry. Customizing the menu is very easy if you know the process.

Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you a simple way to customize "Extended Send To" menu in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. With the
help of this tutorial, you'll be able to add new shortcuts to "Extended Send To" menu as well as remove existing shortcuts from "Extended Send To" menu.
The beauty of this trick is the newly added shortcuts will only appear if you press and hold SHIFT key while right-clicking on an item otherwise the shortcuts
will not appear. So it'll not increase the size of "Send To" menu.

So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:

1. "Extended Send To" menu shows the extra shortcuts which are taken right from your User Profile folder. All shortcuts which are present in your user
folder are shown in "Extended Send To" menu. Can't believe? Here is the proof:

Type %userprofile% or . (yes, a single dot) in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open your user profile folder which will contain following items:

As you can see in the above screenshot, all shortcuts which are present in the user profile folder are visible in "Extended Send To" menu shown in image

2. If you want to add a new item to "Extended Send To" menu, simply create a shortcut of it in your user profile folder. For example, we have created a
new folder "Personal Stuff" in our user profile folder:

And it immediately gets added to "Extended Send To" menu as shown in following screenshot:

3. If you want to remove a shortcut from "Extended Send To" menu, simply delete it from your user profile folder. For example, we are deleting 3 shortcuts
from user profile folder: Contacts, Downloads and Saved Games:

And Windows immediately removes the shortcuts from "Extended Send To" menu as shown in following screenshot:

PS: Make sure to take a backup of the folder before deleting it so that you can restore it later or can access your data.

So you can see customizing "Extended Send To" menu is very easy task. You can add any desired shortcut or remove any unwanted shortcut from the menu without
editing Registry or any system file.

Did you already know about "Extended Send To" menu? Do you use it regularly? Feel free to share your feedback in your comment...

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 6:37 AM

[...]

Artur Räpp

Hi,

If you are using JAWS then you can

Route JAWS to PC and then right click.

HTH

Artur

[...]

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Even if a keyboard does not show the Applications Key per se, there is usually a key combination, involving the FN key (if there is one) which can be used to invoke the actual Applications key function.

I did raise this issue with Microsoft about why the Applications Key brings up a different list from the list which appears when you press Shift+F10. I was told that this problem is planned to be eliminated in Windows 11 where, so it they say, both keyboard commands will produce the same list of choices. Here’s hoping this is an accurate statement of what is to come.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong