From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Cliff Self <cliff@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 6:10:14 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Converting WMA files to MP3 with JAWS

I used to use VLC for this, but now it is even less accessible than it was before.  Any suggestions for a safe and easy way to convert files?

Thanks,

Cliff

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

i'm sure there are lots of audio conversion programs out there.
GoldWave has a nice batch mode that takes a little time to learn its various options; but is well worth it.
Or if it is just a few files, you can open them and do a save as and pick the format you want.
www.goldwave.com

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Aug 4, 2021, at 3:22 PM, leonard morris <lmorris1953@...> wrote:

Have you tried gold wave

I used to use VLC for this, but now it is even less accessible than it was before.  Any suggestions for a safe and easy way to convert files?

Thanks,

Cliff

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

hi if you have not installed gold wave on your computer before you get 30 days of full functionality. I used it several years ago to batch convert thousands of AAC in WMA files to MP3 it wasn't that hard to figure out. And did a good job.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 4, 2021, at 3:10 PM, Cliff Self <cliff@...> wrote:

I used to use VLC for this, but now it is even less accessible than it was before.  Any suggestions for a safe and easy way to convert files?

Thanks,

Cliff

Marty Hutchings

I use Switch.

On 8/4/2021 5:07 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
i'm sure there are lots of audio conversion programs out there.
GoldWave has a nice batch mode that takes a little time to learn its various options; but is well worth it.
Or if it is just a few files, you can open them and do a save as and pick the format you want.

Richard

On Aug 4, 2021, at 3:22 PM, leonard morris <lmorris1953@...> wrote:

Have you tried gold wave

I used to use VLC for this, but now it is even less accessible than it was before.  Any suggestions for a safe and easy way to convert files?

Thanks,

Cliff

David Kingsbury

Hi,

Both Gold Wave and Switch can convert, but Gold Wave costs $40 while Switch is free. You can get it at:

https://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

David

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I had not realized that Switch is free.  Other NCH software I had tried was only free for a few uses.
IF audio conversion is all one needs, then it looks like a great choice.
GoldWave is more for advanced editing and can do conversion.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:50 AM, David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:

Hi,

Both Gold Wave and Switch can convert, but Gold Wave costs $40 while Switch is free. You can get it at:

https://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

David

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Depending on how many files you want to convert online converts are also a good option.

I had not realized that Switch is free.  Other NCH software I had tried was only free for a few uses.

IF audio conversion is all one needs, then it looks like a great choice.

GoldWave is more for advanced editing and can do conversion.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:50 AM, David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:

Hi,

Both Gold Wave and Switch can convert, but Gold Wave costs $40 while Switch is free. You can get it at:

https://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

David

JM Casey

Switch has both free and paid options. I did downlaod some free switch converter at some point and while it kind of did what I wanted it installed a lot of ..not exactly ads, but basically start menu items pointing to their various other bits of software that I did not have. I seem to remember there were some limitations to the audio converter as well? Still, if it does what you need to do, go for it – you can always get rid of it after the job is done if you maybe it doesn’t do those weird things anymore and/or you can control the installer a little more than I did..this must have been at least ten years ago if not more.