moderated check writing software?

Phillip Gross

This is something that I haven’t thought about in a long time. I used to have, probably still have somewhere, one of the check writing templates. My hand writing was never that great so I didn’t use it much. It mainly got used for agricultural purchases 20 years ago when there were still some places that didn’t take a card. At this point I write 1 check a year, and my wife writes it for me. I pay for everything else using either PayPal, my credit union’s billpay service, or on the payee’s website.

Anita

Hi,
I would like the template too please, thanks. 
Anita

On Jul 31, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I am happy to send the template to anyone that wants it, and have already sent it to two members.

I do not participate in these groups via e-mail, however, so when requests are made "on-list" without an e-mail address I have no idea where to send to.  If you want a copy sent to you, please use the Reply to Sender link at the bottom of this message to send me a private request that will land in my inbox instead, and which will have your e-mail address as the source.  I'll respond to these with the template attached.

Be aware that this template was created for a check blank that was on a page that was standard letter sized and in a specific position on that page.  It is not likely to be appropriate to your situation unless you so happen to be using checks in precisely the same format.  Fields would have to be moved around in the template (which also used a table in it, which I probably wouldn't do now) in order for the various usual fields to print where they need to print for your own check blanks.  But it is a starting point.

When I originally created it I had the person I created it for do a scan of her check blank and email that to me.  There is a lot of trial and error in getting the correct placement not only for the check blank, but for the specific printer being used.  Anyone who's ever printed out sheets of mailing labels using one of the Avery standard formats will understand only too well the kind of tweaking I'm referring to.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Justin Williams

Apologies for not putting my e-mail in to the message for the template.

Please send it to:

Justin.williams2@...

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 1:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: check writing software?

I am happy to send the template to anyone that wants it, and have already sent it to two members.

I do not participate in these groups via e-mail, however, so when requests are made "on-list" without an e-mail address I have no idea where to send to.  If you want a copy sent to you, please use the Reply to Sender link at the bottom of this message to send me a private request that will land in my inbox instead, and which will have your e-mail address as the source.  I'll respond to these with the template attached.

Be aware that this template was created for a check blank that was on a page that was standard letter sized and in a specific position on that page.  It is not likely to be appropriate to your situation unless you so happen to be using checks in precisely the same format.  Fields would have to be moved around in the template (which also used a table in it, which I probably wouldn't do now) in order for the various usual fields to print where they need to print for your own check blanks.  But it is a starting point.

When I originally created it I had the person I created it for do a scan of her check blank and email that to me.  There is a lot of trial and error in getting the correct placement not only for the check blank, but for the specific printer being used.  Anyone who's ever printed out sheets of mailing labels using one of the Avery standard formats will understand only too well the kind of tweaking I'm referring to.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

--

~ William Plomer

Justin Williams

I'd like that template also.

Could you please send it to me?

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andrew J. LaPointe
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 10:52 AM

Could you send me that templet?  Sometimes I would like to fill out my own checks.  I have a check guide but my handwriting is not as good and at times, the amount or something is not clear enough for the Bank.  Thanks so much. Andy and Leroy

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 8:37 PM

I've actually created MS-Word fillable form templates to match the check sheets a given user has.  That is if all you're looking for is something that allows you to get the date, pay to the order of, numeric dollars/cents, written dollars/cents, and memo exactly where they need to be.

I will gladly email you that template on the off chance that you're using the same checks.  These things are a PITA to perfect as far as alignments go for any given check printer's page layout, but once you have them nailed it's a perfect printout on to the check every time (barring printer jams, ink running out, etc.).
--

~ William Plomer

Only difference seems to be that with Interac email money transfer you don't have to set up any account, the option is simply there on your online banking just like you can pay your telephone bill or transfer money from one account to another.

The only thing you should probably ask first is whether the recipient is OK with an email money transfer, as I said, there still are a few people who don't use online banking.

If the recipient has auto deposit enabled it is usually not possible to recall the transfer, but if they don't then you can recall it as long as they haven't manually accepted it using the answer to the security question you specified.

There have been cases where email money transfers have been highjacked when a recipients email address was hacked and the hacker happened to see a notification of an incoming email money transfer. If the hacker than is able to guess the answer to the security question they can of course deposit the money into their account no problem. One case which was in the news was of a woman who sent her friend a few thousand Dollars to repay her for the shared expenses of a trip they took together. The security question was "Who is my favourite Beatle" and of course there is a very limited set of answers so the person who had access to her email didn't have too much trouble guessing it and the money was gone. The bank initially said it was her problem for not using a more secure password, but then we have a sort of investigative branch of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Service) who sometimes takes on cases like that and after they published the story the bank refunded her the money because the banks advertise email money transfer as very secure and so on.

If I send on which requires a question my question is not really a question, it's usually "As discussed" which means the password is what I discussed it to be with the recipient over the phone or in person and I never use one that doesn't at least consist of a word with upper and lower case characters and some numbers. Not having any clue in the form of a question it would be virtually impossible for a hacker to guess that. Of course auto deposit is the solution to this entire issue since then the money is simply deposited and the only "email" or "text" component is the notification the recipient receives letting them know they received X amount of Dollars from so and so.

Sent: July 31, 2021 8:44 AM

Sieghard,

Interac and ZellePay sound very similar indeed.  The only difference being that you have to have set up a ZellePay account on both ends of the equation and the deposit is always instant.  The biggest problem with this system, if you consider it one, is that the transaction is instant and cannot be recalled once you've completed it, so you need to be absolutely certain you haven't fat fingered the email address of your recipient.  If you do, the transaction will fail if that address does not have a ZellePay account, but if it happens to be associated with one that money is in that address's associated bank account the moment you hit the button to pay them.

And, as you noted, you can associate a mobile phone number with a given bank account along with an email address or instead of an email address.

I've had a PayPal account for decades (plural, I think, but definitely well over 10 years if not) but haven't established a ZellePay account because it's just not nearly so popular in the USA.  I have one client, and a senior citizen, who uses it and loves it and asked me if I accepted Zelle payments the last time I did a job for her.
--

~ William Plomer

Sieghard,

Interac and ZellePay sound very similar indeed.  The only difference being that you have to have set up a ZellePay account on both ends of the equation and the deposit is always instant.  The biggest problem with this system, if you consider it one, is that the transaction is instant and cannot be recalled once you've completed it, so you need to be absolutely certain you haven't fat fingered the email address of your recipient.  If you do, the transaction will fail if that address does not have a ZellePay account, but if it happens to be associated with one that money is in that address's associated bank account the moment you hit the button to pay them.

And, as you noted, you can associate a mobile phone number with a given bank account along with an email address or instead of an email address.

I've had a PayPal account for decades (plural, I think, but definitely well over 10 years if not) but haven't established a ZellePay account because it's just not nearly so popular in the USA.  I have one client, and a senior citizen, who uses it and loves it and asked me if I accepted Zelle payments the last time I did a job for her.
--

~ William Plomer

Here in Canada there is Interac email money transfer, all the banks including credit unions offer this. You simply add the recipient using either their email address or mobile number, select the amount (there is a $10 minimum) and then make up a security question and answer. The recipient will of course need to know what the answer is in order to deposit the funds unless they set up auto deposit on their end which means any transfer which is sent to their email or mobile number is automatically deposited into whichever account they choose. This is ideal because then I can simply send the money without having to set up a security question and a few minutes later they get a notification that they have received an Interac eTransfer and it will tell them who sent it, how much it was for and state that the funds were deposited. Most personal banking plans include a certain number of free monthly transfers like at least 10 or 25, if you have a more comprehensive plan you usually get unlimited free email money transfers. It can sometimes take up to 30 minutes from when somebody sends such a transfer until the other person receives it, but often it's 5 minutes or less.

All the recipient requires is an email address or mobile phone number and that they are set up for online banking and there are very few people who are not these days and even fewer who don't have an email address and/or mobile phone.

Sent: July 31, 2021 8:26 AM

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:17 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Aren't there things like email money transfer in the US?

-
Yes.  There are multiple services for this, not just PayPal, the best known one (here in the USA, anyway).  Zelle/ZellePay is not nearly as well known to the general public, but it's used extensively within the banking industry itself, and there is a free consumer version.  It has the advantage of being as close to literally instant transfer as one can get.

Then there are, as I noted, bill payer services at any bank or credit union I have been affiliated with for the last 25 years.  They transfer funds electronically where that can be done (and you can actually set that up for someone's personal bank account if you pay them often if you so choose) but will cut and mail checks at no cost to entities or individuals that don't accept EFT.

If I write 2 checks per year, on a supply I got over 10 years ago now, that's it.  And it's usually to my mechanic, since he doesn't accept credit cards and doesn't really deal with any "new technology" other than that in the cars he repairs.

--

~ William Plomer

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:17 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Aren't there things like email money transfer in the US?
-
Yes.  There are multiple services for this, not just PayPal, the best known one (here in the USA, anyway).  Zelle/ZellePay is not nearly as well known to the general public, but it's used extensively within the banking industry itself, and there is a free consumer version.  It has the advantage of being as close to literally instant transfer as one can get.

Then there are, as I noted, bill payer services at any bank or credit union I have been affiliated with for the last 25 years.  They transfer funds electronically where that can be done (and you can actually set that up for someone's personal bank account if you pay them often if you so choose) but will cut and mail checks at no cost to entities or individuals that don't accept EFT.

If I write 2 checks per year, on a supply I got over 10 years ago now, that's it.  And it's usually to my mechanic, since he doesn't accept credit cards and doesn't really deal with any "new technology" other than that in the cars he repairs.

--

~ William Plomer

Aren't there things like email money transfer in the US? I can't even remember when I last wrote a cheque and actually since I switched to a different bank here last fall (I am in Canada) I haven't even ordered any cheques, it has never crossed my mind.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew J. LaPointe
Sent: July 31, 2021 7:52 AM

Could you send me that templet?  Sometimes I would like to fill out my own checks.  I have a check guide but my handwriting is not as good and at times, the amount or something is not clear enough for the Bank.  Thanks so much. Andy and Leroy

I've actually created MS-Word fillable form templates to match the check sheets a given user has.  That is if all you're looking for is something that allows you to get the date, pay to the order of, numeric dollars/cents, written dollars/cents, and memo exactly where they need to be.

I will gladly email you that template on the off chance that you're using the same checks.  These things are a PITA to perfect as far as alignments go for any given check printer's page layout, but once you have them nailed it's a perfect printout on to the check every time (barring printer jams, ink running out, etc.).
--

~ William Plomer

Andrew J. LaPointe

--

~ William Plomer

Ann,

Also, not that this can be used in 100% of circumstances, but way more than many think:  Does her bank or credit union have an online bill paying service.  Almost all of these cut checks and mail them free of charge, and you can set up individuals as payees.
--

~ William Plomer

Ann,

I find Money Talks from APH to be the best software for keeping my checkbook
and writing checks. It is very accessible and reasonably priced and you can
check it out here:

https://tech.aph.org/mt_info.htm

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 7:17 PM
Subject: check writing software?

When Quicken 2016 was no longer available, quicken was no longer accessible
for writing personal checks. What software is available to do this?

thx,

Ann

Milton Ota

Here is a link to someone who has created a personal check template in
Excel.

https://www.jimkaness.com/engineering/checktemplate.html

thx,

Ann

Ann Byrne

Hey, Brian,

This sounds wonderful; but the person inquiring in the zoom meeting said she has "small checks" and would hope she could find software to work with them. I haven't a clue what size small checks are, and I don't have her email address to ask her.

However.

I will save your message and hope she/we/you can figure it out. :-)

thx
Ann

At 07:36 PM 7/30/2021, you wrote:
I've actually created MS-Word fillable form templates to match the check sheets a given user has. That is if all you're looking for is something that allows you to get the date, pay to the order of, numeric dollars/cents, written dollars/cents, and memo exactly where they need to be.I will gladly email you that template on the off chance that you're using the same checks. These things are a PITA to perfect as far as alignments go for any given check printer's page layout, but once you have them nailed it's a perfect printout on to the check every time (barring printer jams, ink running out, etc.).--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043 Â

~ William Plomer

Milton Ota

Hi,

When I last was browsing the American Printing House website the program
Money Talk was still available as a download. Program has not been updated
in a long while. This program from what I have heard can print to personal
checks and if it still can be done retrieve your bank statement to update
your check register. It used to cost around $40.00.

I have been using a program call CheckPrinter which was a shareware program.
You can store all the different places you need to send a printed check on a
personal check. Printer needs to be able to feed single checks in landscape.

There was someone at one time who created a template for personal checks on
an Excel spreadsheet and again you need to print in landscape one check at a
time. I thought I had a copy of that template but I don't seem to have it
any more.

Hope this helps your search.

Milton

thx,

Ann

--

~ William Plomer

Ann Byrne

When Quicken 2016 was no longer available, quicken was no longer accessible for writing personal checks. What software is available to do this?

thx,

Ann