moderated Question about Jaws 2021 jumping

Zachary Morris

Hello all,

I am a new user to this email list. I've had Jaws since around 2018; I only initially used it as a secondary screen reader. I always heard that Jaws was a fantastic screen reader to use. However, in my discovery, I was configuring Jaws from scratch, and after I was done configuring, minus the speech/sound schemes, whenever I went onto different websites using Google Chrome, a good example is www.reddit.com or youtube.com, but when I either used the arrow keys, or the h key to cycle through headings, it would start jumping me to the top, or bottom of the page, or to a completely different part of the page, etc.. Would anybody be willing to help me troubleshoot the problem? I'm using the latest version of Jaws 2021. I can give the backup file if anyone wishes to help troubleshoot. Either that, or if any Freedom Scientific representatives are on this mailing list, are there any common settings that could cause this jumping?

Sincerely,

Zach

Kevin Minor

Hi.

When you get to a problem site, is JAWS starting to read the page, and if so, are you immediately attempting to navigate without first hitting CTRL to stop reading it? It's the problem that I have, and what fixes it for me is to hit CTRL to silence JAWS, and then things work as expected.

Hope this works for you.

Kevin and Jilly

[...]

That's interesting, because I think I have auto reading of webpages disabled. I will try that though. Thank you.

On 7/28/2021 5:56 PM, Kevin Minor wrote:
[...]

Dan Longmore

I have experienced this issue but not enough to have a consistent answer or reason why.
Dan

[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Do you have Jaws set to automatically begin reading on web pages and/or in emails?

That may add to some of this.

Richard