moderated How to locate a missing file

Shirley Tracy

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Kevin Minor

Hi Shirley.

Sounds like Word Pad has switched where it’s saving things. Hit CTRL+O to open the file, and see if you can open the file you created in Word Pad. Take note where it’s indicating the file is. You might have two folders with the same name.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Kevin and Jilly

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Bill White

Hi, Shirley. I understand your frustration with regard to some Windows applications saving files in strange places, and not being able to locate them. This is because, when one tabs to the save file option, the location of the file is not given. Here's what I did to stop all that nonsense. I installed a Windows file utility called Search Everything. This utility will, when started, search for files with a given name or partial name, and will also list its location. I will give the link for the website where you can download Search Everything. Since I have a 64-bit system, I download the 64-bit version of the program.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Van Lant, Robin

If you know what you named the file, you could press Windows key and type all or part of the name in the search box.  I’m guessing WordPad does not have a recent files list, as Word does. I often go to that to find a file that I accidentally saved in an unknown folder.

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mario

open Wordpad and attempt to save the untitled document again. since the title has not been saved yet, you should get the save as dialog. just shift+tab a few (maybe 3 or 4) times to see if you can figure out if the location of where the original file you're looking for might have been saved in a different location.

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was
not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I
tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file.
So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened
since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

.

David Griffith

Many ways to skin a cat.

One of the immediate customisations I make to any Windows machine I install is to put  a shortcut to the Recent folder on my Desktop.

The folder path for the Recent Folder  on Windows 10 is.

C:\Users/your user name \Recent

You need to look for your own user name in the Users directory.

Bring up the context  menu on the recent folder and press n for send to and finally from the send to sub menu select Desktop create shortcut.

The Recent folder shortcut will open a folder containing shortcuts to all the documents you have opened/saved so makes finding lost documents easy.

The other thing I do is sort this by date modified so that the most recent documents are at the top of the list which makes finding them easy as well.

To do this open  the Recent folder.

Make sure your screenreader announces not selected. If it says selected control space to make sure it says not selected.

Now press application key or shift F10 to bring up the context menu again and now find sort and tin the sub menu select date modified.

It takes about 2 or 3 minutes to setup   this folder but this simple customisation has helped me countless times over the years finding lost files saved in strange places.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:47 AM, Bill White wrote:

I installed a Windows file utility called Search Everything. This utility will, when started, search for files with a given name or partial name, and will also list its location. I will give the link for the website where you can download Search Everything. Since I have a 64-bit system, I download the 64-bit version of the program.

https://www.voidtools.com/

-
I cannot possibly second this recommendation more strongly, particularly if you're someone "old school" such as myself who virtually always searches for something based on its file name, or part of it, rather than the content in the file.

Windows Search itself is great when you occasionally can't remember what you called something but can remember some distinctive little snippet of content that would let you zero in on it.  But I use Everything Search on an almost daily basis because, even when the file is not lost, it's just quicker and more efficient for searches based on file name than Windows Search is.  And it's accessible.

           ~ André Gide

Mike B.

Hi David,

The Recents folder wasn't showing so I had to unhide it to access it, but below is another way of getting the shortcut on the desktop.  One more question, where is the setting for saving copies of files to the Recent folder?

1. From the desktop make sure nothing is selected and open the context menu with your applications key or Shift + F10.

2. From the Context Menu, navigate to, New, and press enter.

3. Select Shortcut and press enter.

4. In the edit field, type or copy / paste the location of the item below,

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\

5. Tab to, Next, and press the spacebar.

6. Name the shortcut Recent Items or a different name if desired.  Recent Items is there by default if you want to leave it this way.

7. Tab to, Finish, and press the spacebar.  You should now have a desktop icon called, Recent Items, or whatever you named it.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks to all. Mike, I’ll use this method now since I really need to find this file asap. But I also like the other suggestion of installing a windows file finder (forgot what it’s called but will look it up).

Shirley Tracy

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

it's called search everything by void tools. It works great way better than the windows built in the search.

Randy Barnett

On Jul 19, 2021, at 12:43 PM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Thanks to all. Mike, I’ll use this method now since I really need to find this file asap. But I also like the other suggestion of installing a windows file finder (forgot what it’s called but will look it up).

Shirley Tracy

I wrote something in WORD PAD, and when I went to open it again it was not there. I wrote the information in a new WORD PAD file and when I tried to save it, I received the message that I already had that file. So, how do I find it? It’s not in “file explorer.” This has all happened since the latest update of Microsoft.

Thanks for any help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Bryan, I went to the link you gave, but I have a question: I have a 64 bit computer but JAWS is actually 32 bit because I purchased the Home version. Does this make any difference for Ask Everything? I realize my question may seem like asking if a dog has four paws, but I really don’t know.

[...]

Hi, Shirley. I also have the Home version of JAWS, and my version is 64-bit. I don't know why you have the 32-bit version of JAWS.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill, because the sales person at Vespero told me that’s what I had to have. Maybe she was mistaken?

I wouldn’t know. My major was literature and grammar.

Is there a way to double check?

Shirley Tracy

[...]

There is still a lot of software written during the 32-bit era that remains that way but works perfectly fine under 64-bit hardware.  My Office 2016 is the 32-bit version, for instance.

Most vendors who have a 64-bit version will sell you that for 64-bit hardware, but there are occasions where 32-bit software is recommended even if the hardware itself is 64-bit.

The above having been said, if you know you have 64-bit hardware (and these days most of us do) then download one of the 64-bit versions.  Most would just do the 64-bit full installer, but a portable version exists as well.

           ~ André Gide

By the way, and because the need to check this information does come up, if you want to get a quick snapshot of your system specs, including the bit depth of your computer's CPU:

Open Settings, System, About pane and then have a look at the content in that pane.  The entry for system type is where processor bit depth of your CPU is explicitly stated.  Unless you have a very old machine, the info there will likely be 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor.  If you happen to have very old hardware, it is possible this might read 32-bit operating system, x86-based processor.

           ~ André Gide

Bill White

Hi, Shirley. Yes, there is a way to check. If, under your Windows Operating System Drive, under Program Files, the Folder, Freedom Scientific, has a folder that says JAWS, then your copy of JAWS is 64-bit. If, on the other hand, your Windows Operating System drive, under Program Files (x86) the Folder, Freedom Scientific, has a folder that says JAWS, then your copy of JAWS is 32-bit. All the programs in the Program Files (x86) folder can operate as 32-bit. Some applications, such as Internet Explorer have a folder in both folders. This means that these apps in particular, have elements of the app that operate under both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. Both the folder Program Files and the folder, Program Files (x86) have a folder called Freedom Scientific, but they don't both have a folder inside the Freedom Scientific folder called JAWS. This is how you will know.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi again, Shirley. One interesting thing about the newest JAWS installers is that, when you look at the installer's name, they contain the word "any". This means that the installer can install either a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of JAWS, depending upon which version your computer needs. I will put the name of the latest JAWS installer below so you can navigate character by character, and see the word any in the name of the file. It gives no indication of a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

J2021.2105.53.400-any.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks. I do have 64 bit. I don’t know why I purchased a 32 bit upgrade for JAWS, but that was last year, and it has worked fine.

I’m just amazed that suddenly Microsoft is adding things like “One Drive” and “Ease of access” that I know nothing about—nor do I really want them, but here they are. 😊

Shirley

JM Casey

I can’t positively remember, but I was under the impression there weren’t individual jAWS licenses for 64 or 32 bit versions --- you should be able to just download the 64 bit version from the Freedom Scientific site, no?

Also, just because things like ease of access and onedrive are there, doesn’t mean that you have to use them. There’s plenty of stuff in plenty of programmes that I use that I have little need for – I just don’t’ use them and they don’t cause me any inconvenience.

Thanks. I do have 64 bit. I don’t know why I purchased a 32 bit upgrade for JAWS, but that was last year, and it has worked fine.

I’m just amazed that suddenly Microsoft is adding things like “One Drive” and “Ease of access” that I know nothing about—nor do I really want them, but here they are. 😊

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

I didn’t choose to use Ease of Access or One Drive. I didn’t even know they were on my computer until a Windows update. Suddenly, my files were going to them for whatever reason. I didn’t even realize what was happening until I saw the names Ease of Acces and One Drive. I honestly didn’t have them before. I guess I can get rid of them, but not sure how.

Shirley Tracy