moderated how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Hank William Merchant

Hello,

Can someone please let me know what this setting is, so we jaws users can successfully alt-tab in Windows 10 21h1?

Thanks muchly in advance for any help with this!

Kindest regards,

jaws 2021 user

Hank

-

--

Brian *-*Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

*It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you
are not.*

~ André Gide

ratshtron

hmmm, I have just noticed that my home made desktop computer has updated to windows 10 version 21h1 build 19043.1110 so we can look forward to more problems using jaws with windows 10.

Web site: <http://www.turner42.com>www.turner42.com

Web site: <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C90121249ae3a4513913208d947e9b1d0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637619891297445665%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=l0BwKqEUP5EbDYna1jL1naSq%2Flkx3%2ByQcqriS6b3kpY%3D&reserved=0>www.turner42.com

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

"So we can look forward to more problems with Jaws and Windows 10"
That is an interesting statement of the "my cup is half empty" kind and I'm curious why you have such a negative attitude.
I have updated my laptop and all the PC's at my business and many on the list here have updated and I don't think I have seen people report any major issues, I certainly have none.

[...]

You know, it's just plain foolish to call a new feature, and its default setting, however annoying that might be (and, believe me, it's happened to all of us) a problem.

The ALT + TAB behavior was changed with version 20H2 (thanks, Joseph Lee for confirming version) and deeper integration with new Chromium-based MS-Edge.  That behavior can be changed back to old-style with ease.  As I noted yesterday, in the topic entitled, windows 10 update 21h1:

Settings, System, Multitasking Pane and check to see what the dropdown for Pressing ALT + Tab shows, is set to. If you want conventional "old Windows" movement between open windows then you need to select, Open windows only, from the dropdown.

Someone also mentioned that they tweaked the settings related to multiple desktops that have an impact on ALT + Tab behavior, which is also a good idea if you use them. I don't, but many do.

These are some of the many reasons that being proactive and at least scanning topics you may not initially think interest you is a good idea.

           ~ André Gide

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Brian-all,

Actually, I have double checked on this Brian and it’s all set as suggested ever since I posed this question a while back. However, I still find that I can not get a rotating behaviour with alt-tab for more than say, two windows being open simultaneously. If I have bbc radio3 open as I do, plus outlook and for a while I want to open say, a word document, then outlook will probably vanish and I have to go back to desktop and restart it afresh. I wonder if others are finding this behaviour with latest jaws and win10 21h build 19043.

                                                                Kindest regards,

                                                                Takis

[...]

Takis,

Everything you describe has Windows Corruption or potential infection written all over it.  There is no way that programs "just randomly close" under normal circumstances.

First, try Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If that doesn't stop the offending misbehavior, then try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

What you're describing is simply not characteristic behavior.

           ~ André Gide

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Thanks Brian. I don’t feel technically confident enough to indulge with deep windows issues that way, as any mistake might affect my work. However, I may ask for assistance when this is possible.

                                                                Thanks for the tip,

                                                                Takis

Everything you describe has Windows Corruption or potential infection written all over it.  There is no way that programs "just randomly close" under normal circumstances.

First, try Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If that doesn't stop the offending misbehavior, then try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

What you're describing is simply not characteristic behavior.

           ~ André Gide

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  I am having more closure / crashes of Outlook since latest JAWS and Win 10 updates.  Also, ALT Tab issue for me consists of JAWS not reading the title of highlighted tab when I switch.  This item is random and has been around a while.

You’re not alone but I have no fix. 😊

Dan

[...]

I will ask folks on a different forum to figure out if this is unique to JAWS.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

I just made an interesting fdiscovery I think.

I launched BBC radio 3, opened Outlook, word, and Excel.

I was alt-tabbing between them just fine.

So, to check that my settings had held from the other day, I tapped the Windows key and wrote “alt-“ I only had to write as far as the dash for Windows to offer Determine what alt-tab does in windows and I hit enter on that and found that it said, the last 5 open windows in Edge again.

That made no sense to me as I had changed that I thought to Open Windows only…

So I changed it again.

I checked and it was back to the 5 windows nonsense.

I searched for that setting again and found there is also a setting for Virtual desktop.

Once I got both set to the same Open Windows only; the setting has stuck and works fine.

That is as clear as I can be.

HTH,

Richard

Web site: www.turner42.com

[...]

Hi Richard/all,

This is very useful indeed and I shall have a look at it and further behaviour.

                                                                Take care,

                                                                Takis